A stack of Acclaim Entertainment's Indy's are about to hit ebay.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
pentium

A stack of Acclaim Entertainment's Indy's are about to hit ebay.

Unread postby pentium » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:25 pm

If you're a fan of Turok or never played it before but want to see what it's all about, it's not hard to find a playable copy, especially since Nightdive Studios remastered and republished it on Steam last year. But with the source code, those who know how would be able to modify the game to create new content for it, recompile the code for different platforms, or simply dig through notes and documentation the developers left behind for odd bits of history.

On Sunday, the man in the SiliconClassics video, Aaron, announced that he won't post the source code online. Aaron is a lawyer, so he's well aware that dumping the source code online could get him into legal trouble, precisely because it's still being sold on Steam. However, that doesn't mean the source code won't end up online. Aaron isn't going to dump the source code online, but he is going to sell the SGI Indy computer on eBay.
What the buyer does with it at that point is up to them, but Aaron told me over email that "an attorney I'd advise whoever buys the systems to exercise good judgment and act within the confines of the law."

Aaron, who collects and tinkers with old computers as a hobby, said he first spotted this SGI Indy at a warehouse where he was picking up a 24-bit video board for an SGI Indy from another seller. While there, he saw a whole stack of SGI Indys there along with boxes of obsolete 3D animation software. He made note of it, and last summer went back to buy the stack of SGI Indys and software. As he started going through the files, it became clear that the SGI Indys came from a liquidation auction for Turok publisher Acclaim, which went out of business in 2004. Acclaim should have wiped those drives before the sale exactly for this reason, but for whatever reason, didn't.

Aaron said that the eBay listing for the SGI Indys with the Turok source code will go up this week.

**SOURCE**

[edit]I see now that you've created a media frenzy and AssemblerGames is going rabid you're selling them off, one at a time.[/edit]

Aaron, the microphone is on and I know you frequent this forum. Anything you want to say? ;)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: A stack of Acclaim Entertainment's Indy's are about to hit ebay.

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Nice investigative work pentium! I had no idea SiliconClassics RN was Aaron, or that he was a lawyer...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 am

Same here. I'm still slightly doubtful.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 am

Back when he was ajerimez we shared a lot of onyx/crimson desksides from dovebid. It had both a jurassic classic and a quad 10k IR in the lot for like 300 bux. Back in the good old days!

I remember they also had O2ks and Onyx2's going for $10 each. Many lots of 4 starting at $40 and ending with one bid.

He always tends to be good at finding machines that have, erm... interesting... data, left on them :lol:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am

pentium wrote:Same here. I'm still slightly doubtful.

People doubt I'm an MD all the time. ;)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:28 pm

nice PR move :P

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Fantastic find! I remember being quite excited when I purchased a BeBox 133Mhz from a former Be employee and discovered it still had source code for some of the games that shipped with BeOS. I can only imagine how thrilling it must be to find 12 systems with such interesting source/data!
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:27 pm

pentium wrote:Aaron, the microphone is on and I know you frequent this forum. Anything you want to say? ;)

I saw what you wrote on Facepunch and have nothing to say to you except EABOD.

As for everyone else, here are the portions of that Vice article that Pentium conveniently left out:

It seems that at least one of the key developers directly associated with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Stephen Broumley, is impressed with Aaron's discovery.

If you care about this kind of obscure game history, we're sort of lucky that this stuff ended up with Aaron and not the dump.

(Sorry Dexter)
Last edited by SiliconClassics on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Can't we have a normal, civil forum day without these fights please?
Whatever the gripes may be, please take them elsewhere.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm

And on a more general note:

Respect other people's property and time investment and the decisions they make about those resources, even if in somebody elses eyes they do not seem right or justified.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

it's sad to see so much enviousness. due to how the net culture has developed over the years some people seem to think they're entitled to certain things.
this is not the case of course and won't be the case here in particular. especially here all members should be mature enough to value contributions more than at some other places given the special nature of content and people.

whatever gets shared here should be considered a generous gift but never taken for granted. who shares what and with whom is up to the "donor" and them alone.
SiliconClassics has been very passionate and very generous for many years and many of you have benefitted from that. the press article is spot on by stating that it's a good thing for this rare treasure to have ended up in his hands instead of some trash can.

pilot345

Unread postby pilot345 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm

I am a little confused by all this.

How could one be so concerned about the legal ramifications of releasing the contents of the machines to the public, but then turn around and profit handsomely from the commercial sale of the machine, with the contents specifically listed to boost the value of the machine?

It would seem that selling the copyrighted content, for a profit, and transferring ownership, is very similar to transferring ownership freely.

It would be my guess that the auction value would not be driven up nearly so high, if the contents were already out there in the wild, hence the decision not to release it before the sale.

I can understand on one hand the entitlement of people to think the things should be automatically shared, but on the other side, there may be less than upstanding legal, or charitable intentions by the specific chain of actions chosen before the auction.

Everyone can hide behind the legal excuse, but lets be realistic, there is a certain point at which clandestine copyrighted software and data, may just be lost for good if it isn't shared. How can we expect to foster a community that puts these old wonderful machines to use, if no one can ever get a hold of the software that made these machines great? Its very easy for the people that already have the software they want to stand on their soap box, but what about the newcomer, that's trying to catch the twinkle of magic that these machines once held? The goods have to get into their hands somehow, and without that there is a whole facet of the SGI experience that many may not be able to enjoy. The more and more closed off people become about the distribution of these things, it just increases the chances that another good piece of software will be lost for good. Then what is left for the community to enjoy? We are talking about things that have absolutely NO legitimate way of being obtained here, and we all know that, but choose to stay hush hush about it because that's the easy way out.

I'm not condoning that the rules here be any different, I am well aware of the need to protect the legal status of our gracious host, but I am just trying to play devils advocate. I'm sure its easy for those of us who already have the software we want to talk down to others who don't, but wish to. If you enjoy something, isn't the whole point here to find ways to share it with others?

So, go ahead and flame away at me here, I'm sure I'll get blasted for my opinions. I just had to express this, because it has always been a tough spot, or a catch 22 about the SGI world for me. I mean no harsh feelings towards anyone in particular, its just always bothered me that the squabbling over these things most likely means less access, and less enjoyment of SGI's to anyone who is interested, as a whole.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

pilot345 wrote:It would seem that selling the copyrighted content, for a profit, and transferring ownership, is very similar to transferring ownership freely.

to one single person, yes. to all people on the internet, no. that's the crucial difference.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

pilot345 wrote:Everyone can hide behind the legal excuse, but lets be realistic, there is a certain point at which clandestine copyrighted software and data, may just be lost for good if it isn't shared.

what makes you think whomever buys the Acclaim Indy won't share it?
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

pilot345 wrote:I am a little confused by all this... How could one be so concerned about the legal ramifications of releasing the contents of the machines to the public, but then turn around and profit handsomely from the commercial sale of the machine, with the contents specifically listed to boost the value of the machine? It would seem that selling the copyrighted content, for a profit, and transferring ownership, is very similar to transferring ownership freely.

The crucial difference, as Foetz said, and the crux of copyright law, is whether or not an actual copy is made of the protected material. By simply selling the machines in the condition I bought them, I am not making a copy of the data and therefore not infringing. But by posting the source code online, I am making an infringing copy, which will in turn beget hundreds or perhaps even thousands of subsequent copies. That is when a rights holder could deem it necessary to step in and sue, especially considering that Turok is currently being developed and sold.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Return to “SGI: Discussion”