A stack of Acclaim Entertainment's Indy's are about to hit ebay.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
pentium

Re: A stack of Acclaim Entertainment's Indy's are about to hit ebay.

Unread postby pentium » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm keeping certain opinions to myself here on this forum in respect to the moderators. If you want to bring this up in a more open arena Aaron, your account was only suspended on the other forum for a day. I'll leave it at that.

Anyways the general consensus is that nobody is particularly fond of the machines being separated and sold without any backups being made (according to you).
The legal implications, sure, but this is something that even if it's entering a grey area I'm uncomfortable about discussing here it might be advisable to hold onto anyways and disclose a number of years later under another identity. Basically if you had come out of this saying a backup had been made the amount of negative attention this drew likely wouldn't of happened.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm

pentium wrote:Anyways the general consensus is that nobody is particularly fond of the machines being separated and sold without any backups being made (according to you).

Consensus, I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. He bought them, he can do what he wants with them. You could argue that he give the data to the original rightsholder, but it's their own fault for not checking that the data wasn't properly wiped befure they sold the machines. IMO if they want to maintain control of their source code, it's a public auction and they are welcome to bid on it.

(IANAL)

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Nothing against Pentium here, but I've archived the page in question so people can see for themselves how he's talked about SC on FP:

http://web.archive.org/web/201701180451 ... ?t=1548851

In my opinion, Pentium, you provoked him. I like you man, you've got a good collection and I will never not do business with you, but I'm calling you out for your conduct. You accuse him of being greedy, slimy and slapping the community in the face.

But yet there's a few things you fail to understand:

The man is an attorney. He has no doubt also counseled with attorneys who happen to be experts here to come to his conclusion.

The machines are his property. He is well within his rights to sell the machines. He has no doubt cost-benefited the legal ramifications. What the hell makes you think the person who wins it won't leak the code?

The computer is for sale here, and it has less than 4 days to go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acclaim-Iguana- ... Sw-0xYfWxe

Ebay hasn't taken action against it because he's not violated any laws.

Not to mention, he's donating 20% of it to charity. That's $400+ thus far.

Was his post about you childish? Maybe, but you crossed the line just as much as he did. As the old saying goes It Takes Two To Tango
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 pm

i think that wraps it up in a fair manner. time to close this

Return to “SGI: Discussion”