SGI Indigo2 MaxImpact video review by LGR on youtube

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
radiance

SGI Indigo2 MaxImpact video review by LGR on youtube

Unread postby radiance » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 am

Hello SGI lovers ;)

A friend of mine who has a very well known youtube show called LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) has done a short but very good review of a fully upgraded Indigo2 R10K/MaxImpact system for everyone to enjoy... ;)

Although for those "in the know" it's not %100 accurate, fairly "short" and not very detailed (he also made an error regarding color-depth/output of the graphics system), and is more oriented towards people who have never heard of SGI and/or classic unix systems in general,
it's amazing to see the amount of views the video has, more than 100K views in 60 hours :), and the very positive responses/comments from the crowd...

Many people are posting comments about the fact that they have never heard of these "SGI" machines before,
but definately love the amazing power, specifications and their design "uniqueness" / "mystique" of the machine reviewed,
which is just awesome :)

It really shows that SGI machines will always be something special, nomatter their age, even in a world where everyone expects multi-GHz/multi-core CPUs and powerfull modern graphics adapters...

Here is the link to youtube, Enjoy!:

Greetz,
Radiance

computron

Re: SGI Indigo2 MaxImpact video review by LGR on youtube

Unread postby computron » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:38 am

like it !!!!

Cheers

Eve

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I see you've done a fair amount of tech support form him as well. ;)

I really liked the video. He did drag on a bit with the quality of the mouse and keyboard but in the 90's nobody cared about that in regard to rubber domes or a ball mouse. Fancy mice and mechanical keyboards became an annoying fad in the last half a decade.
Other than that the fact even he admitted the machine was outside his scope of computing was something I respect. While Irix did have the most games and freeware of any other vendor at the time [citation needed] SGI's killer app was mainly 3D development and modelling software. Stuff to actually MAKE the games you were seeing him play more regularly.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:16 pm

radiance wrote:Hello SGI lovers ;)

A friend of mine who has a very well known youtube show called LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) has done a short but very good review of a fully upgraded Indigo2 R10K/MaxImpact system for everyone to enjoy... ;)

Although for those "in the know" it's not %100 accurate, fairly "short" and not very detailed (he also made an error regarding color-depth/output of the graphics system), and is more oriented towards people who have never heard of SGI and/or classic unix systems in general,
it's amazing to see the amount of views the video has, more than 100K views in 60 hours :), and the very positive responses/comments from the crowd...

Many people are posting comments about the fact that they have never heard of these "SGI" machines before,
but definately love the amazing power, specifications and their design "uniqueness" / "mystique" of the machine reviewed,
which is just awesome :)

It really shows that SGI machines will always be something special, nomatter their age, even in a world where everyone expects multi-GHz/multi-core CPUs and powerfull modern graphics adapters...

Here is the link to youtube, Enjoy!:

Greetz,
Radiance

I beat you to it bro:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16731385

Tell Clint that if he wants to review a Fuel, I'll lend him my Fuel for a vid. Gives me an excuse to go to PA
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Return to “SGI: Discussion”