Lazy Game Reviews Featured An Indigo2

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Lazy Game Reviews Featured An Indigo2

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:21 am

I like this chap.

If you're reading this LGR you're welcomed to borrow my Fuel anytime for a video.
:Fuel: R16000 900MHz 4GB V12 6.5.30 reimu
:Indy:
:Indy: (Challenge S)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran

http://projectkitsune.com

I develop FoxBSD, support the BSDs and UNIX scene in general.

Recovering Apple addict (2005-2014, $15k later), don't start - learn from my misery.

Dodoid

Re: Lazy Game Reviews Featured An Indigo2

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:47 am

Gah, beat me to it! Well, his is an IMPACT with R10000, mine is R4000 with XZ. I love his channel, never thought I would see an SGI on it.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:29 am

this is so cool :D
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:33 am

Just watched the video. That, my friends, is probably the most public mention Nekochan Forums will have, and it's the Emulation section. At least he refers to us as elite geeks. Neat to see the perspective of someone who isn't really an SGI guy but thinks the systems are interesting.

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 am

That was cool to watch! Nice to see Nekochan and Ian's site both getting a bit of screen time as well :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:50 am

Why is the logo upside down?
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

duck wrote:Why is the logo upside down?

I knew someone would notice it! Two faces on the bottom, one on the top.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Dodoid wrote:Just watched the video. That, my friends, is probably the most public mention Nekochan Forums will have, and it's the Emulation section. At least he refers to us as elite geeks. Neat to see the perspective of someone who isn't really an SGI guy but thinks the systems are interesting.

Elite is going on my CV!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 am

uunix wrote:Elite is going on my CV!

Did you know that I seriously considered that months ago?
I help with documentation for a few projects, and I think coming here, albeit not being a very technically contributing member, shows that you know things around computers.

I think I've mentioned this in the past: I work with people who have a bunch of multiple-thousand dollar certifications that can't fix a single thing when it goes wrong out of the lab. And this kind of person calls people like us, who can think around like computers would work.

The LGR channel is awesome! I've only recently found it and I love the way he presents it.

EmpireAndrew

Unread postby EmpireAndrew » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I've been a subscriber to his channel for a long time and couldn't believ it when I switched on the TV tgis morning and saw he was reviewing an SGI machine mere days after I decide to buy my first one!
Given his channel content I never thought I'd see an SGI on there but I guess every true computer geek who was old enough in the early 90s knows the name and lusted after one...

radiance

Unread postby radiance » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 am

Raion-Fox wrote:https://youtu.be/ZDxLa6P6exc

I like this chap.

If you're reading this LGR you're welcomed to borrow my Fuel anytime for a video.

Hi guys !,

I am Terrence the person who borrowed the Indigo2 system to Clint (LGR) for review,
I've mailed clint regarding Raion-Fox's offer regarding the Fuel system ;)

I consider all this to be between him and Raion-Fox from now on !!! (hope he responds to him by PM) lol ;)))

I had also made a nekochan post myself regarding the LGR review explaining what I liked about the community response to the video here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16731393

Greetings!,
Terrence

radiance

Unread postby radiance » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am

Dodoid wrote:

Hi Dodoid, You're the person I met on youtube right? (who let's his mother test OS'es on youtube right?)
I've seen you around here and on youtube (in the LGR indigo2 review comment section),
and also regarding the C compiler AIX stuff on one of you videos on youtube ;)

Have you ever thought about buying a nice book (or hunting down some good online tutorials) and trying some C/C++ development ?
Just to make it a bit more interesting and fun that simple development, maybe try to do some basic OpenGL 3D development ?
It's extremely fun and it keeps giving you a sort of "reinforcing feedback" in the form of cool 3D images that keeps you motivated to go further and further... ;) Maybe try to develop a raytracer, it's pretty simple to start with and you can keep adding features as go go along and you get nicer and nicer images ;) (Get a copy of a great book called 'Physically Based Rendering' on Amazon.com )

It's "the next level" after becoming a unix/terminal jockey ;)
First you learn unix, then you learn to compile software and then you learn to develop your own ;)

Radiance/Terrence

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:35 pm

radiance wrote:
Dodoid wrote:

Hi Dodoid, You're the person I met on youtube right? (who let's his mother test OS'es on youtube right?)
I've seen you around here and on youtube (in the LGR indigo2 review comment section),
and also regarding the C compiler AIX stuff on one of you videos on youtube ;)

Have you ever thought about buying a nice book (or hunting down some good online tutorials) and trying some C/C++ development ?
Just to make it a bit more interesting and fun that simple development, maybe try to do some basic OpenGL 3D development ?
It's extremely fun and it keeps giving you a sort of "reinforcing feedback" in the form of cool 3D images that keeps you motivated to go further and further... ;) Maybe try to develop a raytracer, it's pretty simple to start with and you can keep adding features as go go along and you get nicer and nicer images ;) (Get a copy of a great book called 'Physically Based Rendering' on Amazon.com )

It's "the next level" after becoming a unix/terminal jockey ;)
First you learn unix, then you learn to compile software and then you learn to develop your own ;)

Radiance/Terrence

Well, I am sort of some of these things!

1) Lets his mother test OSes
I once did a YouTube collaboration with another channel called OSFirstTimer. That is his channel premise, not mine, but he did talk a little about my Octane at the beginning of his video

2) AIX C compiler
In that comment section, I pointed someone towards IRIX C compilers, and told someone else that I had never done an AIX video when they asked. They were separate though.

I have considered learning to write code for my SGIs. I do program sometimes, but it's usually Visual Basic 6 (one of my programs manages large numbers of old computers, hence the old version) or PHP with a web frontend (both for the Kronos platform I talk about on my channel and for general website work). Writing software for old UNIXes sounds like one of my "late July summer holiday boredom projects", but to be fair some of those projects turn out really well.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

I swear I made a post in here several days ago....

The video is great. The only complaint is he drags his heels and talks about the keyboard being rubber dome and the quality of the mouse. Hey man, neither were issues in the 90's. Mechanical crap only became a fad in the last half a decade.
I do also appreciate that he admits these machines are above his level of expertise. Most youtubers will not admit that, primarily because their egos are massive. Otherwise aside from the killer apps which were mainly 3D modelling software like Softimage 3D there was very little for actual games beyond what you could get in SGI's enormous amount of freeware and the large number of ports and emulators. Arguably though SGI compared to all the other big vendors of the time had the most games available in this regard, period.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 pm

When we (my place of employ) switched from Anvil 5000 to Pro/ENIGINEER we bought a thousand of these things. Needless to say our SGI rep was very fond of us... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”