My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

Re: My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:29 pm

uunix wrote:OK, just paused it after the lifting.. it did look rather painful.
After the last video, I was going to post.. if you can lift my Octane2 over your shoulders, I will give you an INDY. But I thought about responsibilities didn't want to start a craze..etc.. and I didn't want to be part of some transatlantic court case. Well done with lifting that one though, but I would still put an INDY on you not being able to lift mine up that high.
Anyway.. I'm now un-pausing.

PS.. don't come back in 10 years when your built like a brick sh!te house expecting the same deal.

[EDIT] Excellent Video.. ;)

What's in your Octane2? As far as I know, the case is the same. My Octane has a PCI shoebox which is full of cards I have yet to mess around with, so that adds a bit of weight. I have one drive in the machine. It is a dual CPU Octane. The XIO cardplane has just one card, an ESI graphics card.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Unread postby uunix » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:36 pm

It's made of gold..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:10 pm

uunix wrote:It's made of gold..

Do you have a scale? My Octane is 56 Pounds as currently configured, I would happily add parts to make it as heavy as yours and attempt the lift again.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

toasty

Unread postby toasty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Regarding youtube-dl + mplayer on IRIX: you can also use the "-f 36" option for a lower quality 240p 3GP video. I've been able to watch on a 300 MHz R5200 O2 just fine. You just have to get used to the pixelation and mono sound...
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:38 pm

toasty wrote:Regarding youtube-dl + mplayer on IRIX: you can also use the "-f 36" option for a lower quality 240p 3GP video. I've been able to watch on a 300 MHz R5200 O2 just fine. You just have to get used to the pixelation and mono sound...

I tried 3GP. It's absolutely horrible.

toasty

Unread postby toasty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Pretty much the only option on the O2 :(

For those who want to go above & beyond, you can get a Raspberry Pi and run the composite out to the inputs on an O2 or Indy. Then watch youtube and all modern video codecs on the SGI that way. It can be a hassle; you have to ssh to the Pi to play and run the controls. But it works!
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Another nice video.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 am

Very nicely done. Good quality footage and well delivered narration. Subscribed.

I will +1 the sentiment expressed earlier viz more in depth usage videos, I.e. "Living with". There are several intro, boot sequence and overview videos for SGI hardware so covering more in-depth workflows would make for something different.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Return to “SGI: Discussion”