My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzF6P5TGe1o

Also, for vishnu:
I lifted my dual CPU Octane and it actually has a PCI shoebox as well! In the intro, I struggle to get it to the height I got the O2, leaning backwards to lift it, and then put it down, as I was tired from practice lifts, but after I filmed the computer for an hour or so and then did the outro at seen at 5:36 in the video, I was able to lift the Octane so that one corner of the base rested on my shoulder and the other on my hand, holding the machine at a slant.

I have probably just inadvertently made Octane Lifting the official sport of Nekochan.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Re: My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:25 am

The lifting is brilliant!

I like your videos. Nice length and very straightforward.
You could try living out of one of your SGIs for a week and report the experience. =)
ImageImage

Dodoid

Re: My O2 video was popular here, and I promised a sequel, so here's my YouTube video on the SGI Octane.

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:32 am

Shiunbird wrote:The lifting is brilliant!

You could try living out of one of your SGIs for a week and report the experience. =)

Not sure about using it for a week, but I can say that a video on the Octane's usability today is in the pipeline. I have also considered trying to edit a Dodoid on IRIX, but since I publish in 1080p it might have to be an alternate, experimental version of the video that would be low-res.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:39 am

Can't you encode the final at some other machine? Or the applications available for IRIX don't support anything HD at all?

Dodoid wrote:
Shiunbird wrote:The lifting is brilliant!

Not sure about using it for a week, but I can say that a video on the Octane's usability today is in the pipeline. I have also considered trying to edit a Dodoid on IRIX, but since I publish in 1080p it might have to be an alternate, experimental version of the video that would be low-res.
ImageImage

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:40 am

The reason why I ask:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003 ... oke6fl.htm

Smoke 6 will be available as a turnkey system starting at $68K for a standard definition (SD) setup, and pricing varies by configuration. It's available in SD, HD and 2K-capable trim.

Although I would assume a copy of Smoke 6 is an unicorn.
ImageImage

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:46 am

Shiunbird wrote:The reason why I ask:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003 ... oke6fl.htm

Smoke 6 will be available as a turnkey system starting at $68K for a standard definition (SD) setup, and pricing varies by configuration. It's available in SD, HD and 2K-capable trim.

Although I would assume a copy of Smoke 6 is an unicorn.

There might be some open source editor, and it might work fine, but I would assume that editing 1080p is going to require either a lot of patience or a lot of NUMAlink cables.

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

You could do full-HD non-linear video editing on a maxed-out Octane/MXE with the digital video option, a stone disk array and Discreet flame. I think Lord of the Rings 1+2 has been done with it and many other movies and advertising clips etc in late 90ies, early 2000s.

Besides - great video! Thank you!

Edit: can you give us the command line how you parse a youtube-url to mplayer?

Edit2:
Dodoid - with the strenght of two men.
octane-lift.png

..joke aside - please don't ruin your back.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 am

Geoman wrote:You could do full-HD non-linear video editing on a maxed-out Octane/MXE with the digital video option, a stone disk array and Discreet flame. I think Lord of the Rings 1+2 has been done with it and many other movies and advertising clips etc in late 90ies, early 2000s.

Besides - great video! Thank you!

Edit: can you give us the command line how you parse a youtube-url to mplayer?

Edit2:
Dodoid - with the strenght of two men.
octane-lift.png
..joke aside - please don't ruin your back.

Not at home right now so I'm not sure if this is exactly it, but its something like:

Code: Select all

youtube-dl -f 18 -o - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzF6P5TGe1o | mplayer -vo x11 -

I installed the Nekoware Python (for youtube-dl) and MPlayer and downloaded the latest version of youtube-dl from the website. -vo x11 uses software rendering, you can remove it or use -vo sgi to use your machine's graphics hardware, but on my Octane it was a garbled (albeit much smoother) mess.

Does the digital video option provide added processing capability for video, or is it solely an input method? My camera outputs to an H.264 MOV on an SD card, so if it's just an input I guess I wouldn't need it?

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you!

Well even if you buy all the stuff you would need, the older Flame versions are incapable to deal with modern video gear. Especially the consumer stuff we all have.

For fast video on Octane via mplayer, TRAM is key I think.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am

Geoman wrote:Thank you!

For fast video on Octane via mplayer, TRAM is key I think.

OK, I will look into TRAM. Is the digital video option needed if you already have the video as a file?

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 am

Dodoid wrote:OK, I will look into TRAM. Is the digital video option needed if you already have the video as a file?

I had the opportunity to play around with Flame on an Octane/MXE and Inferno on an Onyx2.

Back then I used QuickTime pro on a PC to export a 1080p movie trailer to single frames (png) and a wave file. Then I imported them into flame on SGI to make a clip to play around with.
With no practical use whatsoever. I think using a cheap PC from the electronics section of a supermarket is way easier than setting up an SGI for that purpose in 2016...

The digital video option is not needed. All you need to play around with flame is an Octane/MXI or Octane2 V8. And a software license of course.

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 am

Code: Select all

./youtube-dl -f 18 -o - "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzF6P5TGe1o" | mplayer -vo gl2 -

does the trick for me. But don't bother trying this unless you have got an R14k 600MHz Octane with V12 or a Fuel/Tezro.

My R12k is too slow to handle this.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Love your vids. :D

Makes me think we should do more community SGI related vids and have some 2016 front page blog entries about them. Showing the community alive and well.

Almost bought an SGI Octane a month ago. Worried it was too heavy and loud.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:43 pm

OK, just paused it after the lifting.. it did look rather painful.
After the last video, I was going to post.. if you can lift my Octane2 over your shoulders, I will give you an INDY. But I thought about responsibilities didn't want to start a craze..etc.. and I didn't want to be part of some transatlantic court case. Well done with lifting that one though, but I would still put an INDY on you not being able to lift mine up that high.
Anyway.. I'm now un-pausing.

PS.. don't come back in 10 years when your built like a brick sh!te house expecting the same deal.

[EDIT] Excellent Video.. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Intuition wrote:Love your vids. :D

Makes me think we should do more community SGI related vids and have some 2016 front page blog entries about them. Showing the community alive and well.

Almost bought an SGI Octane a month ago. Worried it was too heavy and loud.

They are heavy, but not too loud. I wouldn't worry too much about it, they are excellent machines and if you can afford shipping the weight isn't too bad. I had to carry mine up two flights of stairs and across a good bit of floor space to get it from the lab to where I film my videos, I did it without putting it down.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”