I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
Krokodil
Donor
Donor
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: The House of Particular Individuals

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:44 am

Dodoid wrote:
Krokodil wrote:
vishnu wrote:I've lifted my Octane2 up a few times, it ain't fun! :x


Back injury waiting to happen. You can only imagine the saga it was dragging the 2 smuggled Octanes out of the basement, up two flights of stairs and down a hallway.


When I got all my SGI stuff 2 weeks ago it was quite the workout. My dad was going to a nearby city for business, so he was able to pick them up there. Not a problem so far. In between my house and that city is my cottage, which my family was going to anyway, so we went there. When we got there, my dad had just placed the SGIs around the room, which was understandable as he didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with them or what bits had to go where. I first carried them into the back room, which was the nearest place they could be neatly packed away, but my mom wanted them out of the way, so I kept just my O2 downstairs and backtracked through the main room, hauling the whole load seen in my signature and two very large boxes of spare parts upstairs. Of course, when we left the cottage I had to load them into the car, which isn't that near the door of my cottage. The issue was it was raining. A bit of garbage bag covering later, I was able to get the Indigo2 out to the car somewhat easily, but carrying an dual CPU Octane with shoebox wrapped in a slippery garbage bag without dropping it or scratching yourself on a protruding piece of metal was another story. The single cpu machines were only slightly easier. Carrying the Indys (especially the one that's missing some parts) last felt like I wasn't carrying anything at all. The car actually struggled to get up the wet, pine needle covered hill thanks to the trunkload of workstations. Once home, I had carry the entire load up the flight of twenty-odd stairs to my house, which is also on a hill, and then back down to the basement once inside.

At least I never have to mo- oh wait my white background and camera are upstairs, nevermind, more Octane lifting.


Yeah, they sure are heavy aren't they? The Octane II manual shows it should be lifted by two people. By the time I got mine to where I wanted to go, I was huffing and puffing. Even the O2 is like carrying a medium sized rock. But since they're heavy atleast you know they're well made.

I just got my SGI's off Ebay one at a time over the course of the past year.

It's also pretty remarkable that you found a complete gaming laptop in the dumpster, including with intact hard drive with user data on it.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

mopar5150
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby mopar5150 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Great video! I like the editing and you made the O2 sound cool again. I am looking forward to you showcasing your other systems.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Krokodil wrote:
Dodoid wrote:
Krokodil wrote:
vishnu wrote:I've lifted my Octane2 up a few times, it ain't fun! :x


Back injury waiting to happen. You can only imagine the saga it was dragging the 2 smuggled Octanes out of the basement, up two flights of stairs and down a hallway.


When I got all my SGI stuff 2 weeks ago it was quite the workout. My dad was going to a nearby city for business, so he was able to pick them up there. Not a problem so far. In between my house and that city is my cottage, which my family was going to anyway, so we went there. When we got there, my dad had just placed the SGIs around the room, which was understandable as he didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with them or what bits had to go where. I first carried them into the back room, which was the nearest place they could be neatly packed away, but my mom wanted them out of the way, so I kept just my O2 downstairs and backtracked through the main room, hauling the whole load seen in my signature and two very large boxes of spare parts upstairs. Of course, when we left the cottage I had to load them into the car, which isn't that near the door of my cottage. The issue was it was raining. A bit of garbage bag covering later, I was able to get the Indigo2 out to the car somewhat easily, but carrying an dual CPU Octane with shoebox wrapped in a slippery garbage bag without dropping it or scratching yourself on a protruding piece of metal was another story. The single cpu machines were only slightly easier. Carrying the Indys (especially the one that's missing some parts) last felt like I wasn't carrying anything at all. The car actually struggled to get up the wet, pine needle covered hill thanks to the trunkload of workstations. Once home, I had carry the entire load up the flight of twenty-odd stairs to my house, which is also on a hill, and then back down to the basement once inside.

At least I never have to mo- oh wait my white background and camera are upstairs, nevermind, more Octane lifting.


Yeah, they sure are heavy aren't they? The Octane II manual shows it should be lifted by two people. By the time I got mine to where I wanted to go, I was huffing and puffing. Even the O2 is like carrying a medium sized rock. But since they're heavy atleast you know they're well made.

I just got my SGI's off Ebay one at a time over the course of the past year.

It's also pretty remarkable that you found a complete gaming laptop in the dumpster, including with intact hard drive with user data on it.


Yeah, people trash a lot of nice stuff. Never found anything SGI but I got an octa core Mac Pro earlier this spring. Somebody had already found it and looted the graphics card and drives, as well as removing the PCIe fan which they presumably thought was a CPU cooler. They never found the CPU daughercard, and I ended up selling the machine for $600 CAD.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Dodoid wrote:Yeah, people trash a lot of nice stuff. Never found anything SGI but I got an octa core Mac Pro earlier this spring. Somebody had already found it and looted the graphics card and drives, as well as removing the PCIe fan which they presumably thought was a CPU cooler. They never found the CPU daughercard, and I ended up selling the machine for $600 CAD.

Macs aren't exactly commodity parts so that's a bit surprising, but apparently it's common practice for people to buy PCs, use them until malware slows them down to a crawl, then throw them out and buy another one. :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:35 pm

vishnu wrote:
Dodoid wrote:Yeah, people trash a lot of nice stuff. Never found anything SGI but I got an octa core Mac Pro earlier this spring. Somebody had already found it and looted the graphics card and drives, as well as removing the PCIe fan which they presumably thought was a CPU cooler. They never found the CPU daughercard, and I ended up selling the machine for $600 CAD.

Macs aren't exactly commodity parts so that's a bit surprising, but apparently it's common practice for people to buy PCs, use them until malware slows them down to a crawl, then throw them out and buy another one. :shock:


*lifting cheap Windows laptop above head on rocky outcrop*
IIITS THE CIIIIIIRCLLLLLE!!!!!
THE CIIIIIIIIRRRCCCCCLLLEEE OF LLLAACCCKK OFFF KNOOOOWWLLEEDDGE AAAABOOOUTTT HHHHOOOWW TO RRREEEIINSTALLLLLL!
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 am

OMG when you lifted it and kinda lost the balance, I thought the machine was going to fall.
My heart skipped a beat.

Great work!
ImageImage

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:14 am

Shiunbird wrote:OMG when you lifted it and kinda lost the balance, I thought the machine was going to fall.
My heart skipped a beat.

Great work!


I actually had no idea what the bottom of an O2 looked like until I edited that video and saw that I had tilted it back a bit. You never really look at the bottom of a computer, especially one that can't sit upside down without tipping over. You can see the second time I pick it up that it falls back and then stops abruptly, that's because I was lifting it with one hand and had the other behind it, so it's safer than it looks.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
Krokodil
Donor
Donor
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: The House of Particular Individuals

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Make sure when you lift it, that it's always from underneath. Never on the sides. The shell of O2's are pretty fragile and they will crack up if handled incorrectly.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Krokodil wrote:Make sure when you lift it, that it's always from underneath. Never on the sides. The shell of O2's are pretty fragile and they will crack up if handled incorrectly.


All the weight rested on my hand on the bottom. The rear hand was just to catch it if it began to fall, and put it back onto the lower hand.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
strong_epoxy
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: I made a YouTube video about my O2. Any thoughts?

Unread postby strong_epoxy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:20 pm

Wow, that's excellent. You've got some talent in video production, screen play, and story telling. Looking forward to your next video.

That said, let's try to avoid lifting the machines over your head in the future.
:Cube: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy: :320: :1600SW: :Fuel: :Onyx2:


Return to “SGI: Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest