Now the teachers of this college love vintage computers!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

foetz

Re: Now the teachers of this college love vintage computers!

Unread postby foetz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 pm

oh yeah and that's actually a great idea. broadens the horizon quite a bit

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:51 am

A room like that should be mandatory for IT-education in Interface design or OS design. Good that they show this to their students
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:18 am

dexter1 wrote:A room like that should be mandatory for IT-education in Interface design or OS design. Good that they show this to their students

First tried IRIX a few days ago. It annoyed me at first because it was completely unlike anything I had ever used, but after a few hours things like clicking above a file path to move up to that directory, using applications fullscreen without any taskbar or dock at the edge of the screen, and dragging icons into pockets to interact with programs came naturally. I think that lack of exposure to weird OSes is what leads to most Linux distros being essentially clones of either Windows XP or Mac OS X in terms of GUI.

EDIT: Yes I have 7 SGI workstations and hadn't used IRIX until a few days ago, somebody sold off their collection so I got them all on one day.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 am

dexter1 wrote:A room like that should be mandatory for IT-education in Interface design or OS design. Good that they show this to their students

Yup. And nobody should be allowed to graduate with a degree in development without having to develop a significant project on a machine with only a few megabytes of RAM...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:27 pm

commodorejohn wrote:

Yup. And nobody should be allowed to graduate with a degree in development without having to develop a significant project on a machine with only a few megabytes of RAM...

I agree, they should have to learn to code efficiently.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Krokodil wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:

I agree, they should have to learn to code efficiently.

My dad ran into this recently when he had to write code for an Arduino. Even things like using floating points are difficult.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Dennis Nedry

Unread postby Dennis Nedry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:05 am

A Bebox and an NeXT slab?

Jesus.

-DN
I've got butterfingers!

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 am

commodorejohn wrote:Yup. And nobody should be allowed to graduate with a degree in development without having to develop a significant project on a machine with only a few megabytes of RAM...

After years working with PCs/Workstations I worked on an Atmel AVR based smartcard with 8-bit registers/integer ops and only 1k of RAM. You initially think how can I do anything on this hardware, but it just really makes you focus on the target platform's capabilities at every stage of the process. I was missing that from years of using 32/64 bit systems with some arbitrary amount of RAM that you don't even think about. I was surprised at the functionality that could be implemented on such a basic 8-bit system - and in C, not assembly.

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:39 pm

I learned computers on an IBM XT and later on an Atari 800. Some how the insane levels of CPU speed, ram and storage available today have not made the experience any more fun. I remember wirewrapping I/O cards for the XT and driving stepper motors using basic and c. The whole experience was very rewarding. What I remember most is how outstanding the manuals from IBM and Atari were. Not once did I ever get screwed because some OS or application couldn't find the internet.

Just last week I found out the hard way that you need to register (the free) Visual Studio Community or the "evaluation" license expires, and there is no easy way to recover from this. Progress. :(
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”