HP(e) buys SGI for US$275MM

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Re: HP(e) buys SGI for US$275MM

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:29 am

Dodoid wrote:I understand if you don't like Windows on the work computers, that sounds awful, but if you like Debian on your PowerMac G5, and you mention something eating battery indicating that you own a laptop with Windows 10, why not try Debian on that as well? I don't mind Windows, I use it alongside Hackintosh, but I have a lot of friends who didn't like it, switched to Linux on their main machines, and were fine.

Unfortunately, at work I have to use Windows.
Naturally, as a sysadmin, I spend most of my time on putty, but at the end of the day there is documentation to be prepared, reports to be sent, training PowerPoint presentations to be created.

We have, for example, some plug-ins for PowerPoint to create indexes for presentations, and apply some special formatting to documents (beyond what templates can do). It eats a ton of memory and every time I'm typing the slide titles, I get an hourglass for each time I push a key on the keyboard, and there's an irritating lag for the screen to refresh with the new character, because it applies the formatting on the fly. And that's a 2015 Intel i7 computer.

Windows 10 quick search: I'm used to open a document called todo.txt with the things I have to do at any specific day. One out of 10 times, it doesn't find the document. And one of 10 times, it has some stupid lag. And to have the quick search working, you need to keep the Cortana service running (wtf).

When there's the stupid lag, I can imagine what's going on:
- doing a search every time I push the keyboard
- trying to do something online, so there are probably DNS queries going on now-and-then (when DNS TTL expires).
- updating the index as well
If any of these things fail, search is unresponsive.

Sometimes it's easier AND FASTER to open the terminal and do "dir todo.txt /s".
I really miss the Windows 95 search box.

And my biggest misery:
Microsoft Outlook with IBM Notes backend.
You get cryptic error messages when trying to use the calendar once a day at least. Repeated meetings never work well. What's wrong with using just CalDAV? =(
It's the bloat of the bloat of the bloat.
I don't even bother calling our internal support, they know much less. (I take care of video conferencing systems and a bit of network).

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:45 pm

It will be interesting to see if HP(e) keeps SGI alive as a separate entity or guts it for the technology they need.
Having spent 22 years and 2 months at HP from January of '73 thru April of '95 I'm not to optimistic that SGI will
be with us much longer... and what ever they do disembowel from the carcass that was SGI they will probably
booger up like they did with most everything else towards the end of my tenure with them.
It finally came down to profits over the employees and what really killed them in my eyes was profits over even customer satisfaction.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Elf wrote:I also like the commercial UNIX desktops for usability. 4Dwm and CDE have a minimalist, functional aesthetic and user experience that I haven't yet found a match for in the Windows, OS X, or Linux worlds.

They also didn't feel the need to gratuitously change the UI every year or two to look "up to date" or copy Apple or whatever is in now. Change what's broken, don't keep moving things around and changing the icons just because.

/grouch
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

miod

Unread postby miod » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm

pauliedweasel wrote:It will be interesting to see if HP(e) keeps SGI alive as a separate entity or guts it for the technology they need.

Remember what HP did of Apollo? :cry:
:Indigo:R4000 :Indigo:R4000 :Indigo:R4000 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:24 am

SAQ wrote:They also didn't feel the need to gratuitously change the UI every year or two to look "up to date" or copy Apple or whatever is in now. Change what's broken, don't keep moving things around and changing the icons just because.

/grouch

This kills me in Windows.
First time I received my work Windows 10 machine, I opened Control Panel and couldn't find half of the configuration options I needed.

Worse: a few things are in the new style "PC settings" app, and a few things are in the old Control Panel, with its applets mostly renamed and functionality renamed. =(

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 pm

miod wrote:
pauliedweasel wrote:It will be interesting to see if HP(e) keeps SGI alive as a separate entity or guts it for the technology they need.

Remember what HP did of Apollo? :cry:

Yep, SGI and IRIX are boned!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:23 am

As much as I hate to say it. I wrote a letter to Meg Whitman, the CEO of HPe, however, and repeated my request I made to Rackable SGI a year ago.
:Fuel: R16000 900MHz 4GB V12 6.5.30 reimu
:Indy:
:Indy: (Challenge S)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran

http://projectkitsune.com

I develop FoxBSD, support the BSDs and UNIX scene in general.

Recovering Apple addict (2005-2014, $15k later), don't start - learn from my misery.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:As much as I hate to say it. I wrote a letter to Meg Whitman, the CEO of HPe, however, and repeated my request I made to Rackable SGI a year ago.

Worth a shot anyways, maybe a miracle will happen this time.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:57 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:As much as I hate to say it. I wrote a letter to Meg Whitman, the CEO of HPe, however, and repeated my request I made to Rackable SGI a year ago.

What was that request?
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Dodoid wrote:

What was that request?

To get teh IRIX sources.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Krokodil wrote:
Dodoid wrote:

What was that request?

To get teh IRIX sources.

As others have speculated, I wonder if they even have the IRIX source anymore. I'm sure it exists somewhere, but that might be on some ex-employee's O2.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Dodoid wrote:
Krokodil wrote:
Dodoid wrote:

What was that request?

To get teh IRIX sources.

As others have speculated, I wonder if they even have the IRIX source anymore. I'm sure it exists somewhere, but that might be on some ex-employee's O2.

Don't know. But are some early 6.5.x releases floating around out in cyberspace.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:50 am

Aren't they still doing some special-order patching for big-pocketed customers?
If so your best bet may be to wait until they stop then ask them to sell IRIX to $YOU cheaply, perhaps with a noncommercial rider. Then $YOU deal with tracking down all the licensors and successors of interest and getting approval and potential liability before releasing source. Even that might be too cockamamie for HPe, though.

I can't see them wanting to spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars going through the source, getting permission to release, etc. etc. for essentially no return.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:10 am

SAQ wrote:Aren't they still doing some special-order patching for big-pocketed customers?
If so your best bet may be to wait until they stop then ask them to sell IRIX to $YOU cheaply, perhaps with a noncommercial rider. Then $YOU deal with tracking down all the licensors and successors of interest and getting approval and potential liability before releasing source. Even that might be too cockamamie for HPe, though.

I can't see them wanting to spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars going through the source, getting permission to release, etc. etc. for essentially no return.

Somebody suggested they turn over the source code to a volunteer group that would figure out what was licensed from elsewhere and replace it, but even that would be a mess and potentially not allowed. Perhaps it's better to ask the question: why do we want the IRIX source? I would hope we could improve security, maybe, but apart from that I don't know what we could do. We certainly don't have enough of a dev team to modernize it into something as legitimately useful today as Linux, Mac, or Windows, and there's probably no hope of porting it to x86. The dream goal would be to port it to modern MIPS or something more powerful and build new SGI machines (hey, the IRIS trademark is expired as of 2015, though SGI and SiliconGraphics are still out of reach), but I don't think that's going to happen. Still, we should try to get it, even if we don't clearly know what for.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Dodoid wrote:
SAQ wrote:Aren't they still doing some special-order patching for big-pocketed customers?

Somebody suggested they turn over the source code to a volunteer group that would figure out what was licensed from elsewhere and replace it, but even that would be a mess and potentially not allowed. Perhaps it's better to ask the question: why do we want the IRIX source? I would hope we could improve security, maybe, but apart from that I don't know what we could do. We certainly don't have enough of a dev team to modernize it into something as legitimately useful today as Linux, Mac, or Windows, and there's probably no hope of porting it to x86. The dream goal would be to port it to modern MIPS or something more powerful and build new SGI machines (hey, the IRIS trademark is expired as of 2015, though SGI and SiliconGraphics are still out of reach), but I don't think that's going to happen. Still, we should try to get it, even if we don't clearly know what for.

If I were too take charge of such a project, my first, main and possible final port of call would be to fill in the gaps, that is, ensure that the final points in 5.6.30 worked with everything it was supposed too, USB for example, firewire, the change from videoin to digitalin, web browsing, email.. etc etc.
Get the OS and machine Working in such a way that for us, it could be usable day to day. No one would buy this of course, but I'm talking, that I have won rather a lot of money and I don't give a fsck about profits. IRIS is really only for us (oh and a few that actually use professionally it in some way).

The possible next step would be, creating IRIX on new platforms.. but, really, apart from us, who would buy it? And who would want to run it on a non-MIPS machine amongst us? IRIX is SGI is SILICON GRAPHICS and it's not HACKINTOSH and never should!
I'd get it to the point in history that it should have been.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “SGI: Discussion”