HP(e) buys SGI for US$275MM

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: HP(e) buys SGI for US$275MM

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Dodoid wrote:What was that request?

For the release of the following code:

XSGI X Server (should not be a problem since xorg and xfree86 are both MIT/BSD
The IRIX Interactive Desktop
IRIX's XFS implementation
IRIX's USB Kernel and Userland code
All MIPS Systems PROM code

And all unreleased documentation pertaining to all MIPS and Itanium systems by SGI.

I also made a polite request for a hobbyist license program, in the vain of the VMS one, be considered.

Krokodil wrote:Don't know. But are some early 6.5.x releases floating around out in cyberspace.

Yes, specifically kernel code and code from some userland utilities. My friend also leaked some IRIX 6.5.17 code, mostly the kernel and a few userland sources. Unsurprisingly there's little difference in the kernel sources between these versions besides the addition of support for later hardware. I have all of the IRIX sources on a tape, stored in a safety deposit box along with other leaked source codes including Solaris 11, OSF etc. I'd rather not let these things get out but at the same time I've offered them to people who want to document the happenings of the code.

uunix wrote:If I were too take charge of such a project, my first, main and possible final port of call would be to fill in the gaps, that is, ensure that the final points in 5.6.30 worked with everything it was supposed too, USB for example, firewire, the change from videoin to digitalin, web browsing, email.. etc etc.
Get the OS and machine Working in such a way that for us, it could be usable day to day. No one would buy this of course, but I'm talking, that I have won rather a lot of money and I don't give a fsck about profits. IRIS is really only for us (oh and a few that actually use professionally it in some way).

The possible next step would be, creating IRIX on new platforms.. but, really, apart from us, who would buy it? And who would want to run it on a non-MIPS machine amongst us? IRIX is SGI is SILICON GRAPHICS and it's not HACKINTOSH and never should!
I'd get it to the point in history that it should have been.

Same, I'd want to fix the USB stack problems, and get a later browser on there. Unfortunately firefox as of recently is increasingly relying on D-BUS for some of its optional dependencies, and I'm about to say FUCK IT and throw in the towel with firefox even though its the only browser I can stand to use. I hate webkit, and I really need a recent browser for a lot of my work, and Chrome's sources are pretty tied to x86 and ARM.

IRIX's commercial role is gone. Linux and OS X have occupied its former niche. But as a desktop OS that did a lot of shit right, I'd rather see it not confined to the history books.
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:57 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:
Same, I'd want to fix the USB stack problems, and get a later browser on there. Unfortunately firefox as of recently is increasingly relying on D-BUS for some of its optional dependencies, and I'm about to say FUCK IT and throw in the towel with firefox even though its the only browser I can stand to use. I hate webkit, and I really need a recent browser for a lot of my work, and Chrome's sources are pretty tied to x86 and ARM.

Probably explains why Firefox routinely crashes on FreeBSD for no good reason. Really someone needs to create a brand new browser without webkit, dbus or any of the useless junk in it. Opera was pretty nice, before it was inducted into the mess and ultimately destroyed.

Firefox is now so bloated, that even the best SGI's can't run it well anymore.

Although I'm not at all optimistic that anything of IRIX, or SGI will be turned over to us, I still hold out hope that something might happen.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm

If NetSurf had a more complete Javascript implementation and a NoScript-style whitelist feature instead of just plain on/off, I'd probably switch to that. Closest thing to a truly lightweight browser I've seen in years.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Krokodil wrote:Probably explains why Firefox routinely crashes on FreeBSD for no good reason. Really someone needs to create a brand new browser without webkit, dbus or any of the useless junk in it. Opera was pretty nice, before it was inducted into the mess and ultimately destroyed.

Firefox is now so bloated, that even the best SGI's can't run it well anymore.

Although I'm not at all optimistic that anything of IRIX, or SGI will be turned over to us, I still hold out hope that something might happen.

Honestly it could be easily fixed I'm sure with a simple on/off port option for dbus but I've been trying different combinations and can't seem to figure it out.

Firefox is not really bloated it's just the Javascript. JS is literally tearing the web apart. There's also the fact that XUL was a hog but it's good that is going away.
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 pm

+1 on the hatred of JavaScript.

Sometimes very simple pages take a long time to load on, eg, TenFourFox... and when you see it's just some useless JS tied to some stupid advertising or user tracking and identification that does absolutely nothing to the sake of the content you want to see. It fries your CPU and eats all your battery for nothing.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”