How do you get your SGI machines?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
devv

Re: How do you get your SGI machines?

Unread postby devv » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Krokodil wrote:
devv wrote:3. Sold Octane2 but it broke during transport, I lost the item and money

It broke? Although I can't say for sure in this case it is a common scam tactic on fleabay.

Yeah the buyer sent me the pictures with the PSU handle bent and with some pretty serious metal misalignment at various places around the case. Like, he sent a picture where the metal at the top of the case (front side, above the disks) had some damage.

It surprised me to see the damage being so extensive, but I was away on travel and neither had the time to look into it, nor was able to receive the machine back since I wasn't at home. So I told him to keep the stuff and I sent him a full refund.

It was certainly a good deal for him.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:43 am

The problem today is the reverse of the 90s. Instead of drooling over systems to have at home, now I have too many. I don't know which system to use.... Tezro, o2 600mhz, octane2 dual 400mhz v12 dcd (with octane1 skins of course), Indigo2, Onyx2, etc...? I am in the process of setting up one of the o2s. I forgot what a pain getting a system from a blank hdd to just where I want it is. I have been collecting using since 1995 and collecting from 1998. My first personal SGI was my Indigo R4000 Elan. I love that system and if I had to get rid of everything I own and could only keep one... that would be the one. I bought it off of Yahoo classifieds from a guy in Cali. His former roommate worked for SGI and had this massive box of SGI goodies (IRIX 6.2 plus tons of disks, scsi cables, monitor cables, books..) that he left when moving out. I bought the Elan with ram, dat, hdd, floppy for 600 bucks. The Indigo plastic always reminds me of the little moon buggy and turret gun in the back of Optimus Prime's G1 trailer. My brother got to open the box while I was in Japan for a month. I couldn't wait to get home to have it all to myself! I used that as my main machine at work for a long time.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:36 am

opcode wrote:The problem today is the reverse of the 90s. Instead of drooling over systems to have at home, now I have too many. I don't know which system to use.... Tezro, o2 600mhz, octane2 dual 400mhz v12 dcd (with octane1 skins of course), Indigo2, Onyx2, etc...? I am in the process of setting up one of the o2s. I forgot what a pain getting a system from a blank hdd to just where I want it is. I have been collecting using since 1995 and collecting from 1998. My first personal SGI was my Indigo R4000 Elan. I love that system and if I had to get rid of everything I own and could only keep one... that would be the one. I bought it off of Yahoo classifieds from a guy in Cali. His former roommate worked for SGI and had this massive box of SGI goodies (IRIX 6.2 plus tons of disks, scsi cables, monitor cables, books..) that he left when moving out. I bought the Elan with ram, dat, hdd, floppy for 600 bucks. The Indigo plastic always reminds me of the little moon buggy and turret gun in the back of Optimus Prime's G1 trailer. My brother got to open the box while I was in Japan for a month. I couldn't wait to get home to have it all to myself! I used that as my main machine at work for a long time.

If I were you I would stick to the fastest system (Tezro, unless you have an insane Onyx) for main use, and keep the rest for random tests and messing with old stuff, as well as to admire the hardware of course.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 pm

spiroyster wrote:
smj wrote:Cool, though not as cool as Pentium's autographed Indigo... :D

Isn't there a special Spielberg Indigo floating around too. 1 of 1... sgifanatic?

You remember correctly! There most certainly is. The whole story here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16729075&hilit=indigo+spielberg&start=15#p7373830
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Return to “SGI: Discussion”