How do you get your SGI machines?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

How do you get your SGI machines?

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 am

I will soon be picking up a load of Octanes, Indys, an O2 and an Indigo, along with some accessories from a guy who seems to be selling off his collection. This will be my first SGI stuff, and it's certainly a lot more than most people start off with, but there are a few other systems I might eventually like to own if I could get them cheaply. This is a great load of systems, but it's the only reasonably priced SGI gear I have ever seen in my area (cheapest fuels, o2s, octanes are twice the ebay price). Do you tend to get your systems on ebay/nekochan bazaar and just deal with the shipping costs, or is there somewhere local that you get yours (government surplus or something)? To those who own large systems (eg. Onyx, Crimson, Skywriter) how did you get them?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

robespierre

Re: How do you get your SGI machines?

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 am

I currently have 4 complete systems. Of those, 1 was pulled from a dumpster outside a major research university, 1 was a trade with a fellow collector, and 2 were purchased on eBay for what at the time was a fair price but would be very high today. Those were shipped excellently by FedEx Ground and expertly packaged by sellers with a good track record on this forum (not just positive eBay feedback)

Be careful of government auctions, they are always huge lots of indifferently treated hardware and prices are bid up to stupid levels because of tax and accounting reasons.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 am

I got my machines from a friend of mine who worked at SGI France for a long time. He still had friends over there and one day, they decided to scrap a whole lot of things. Before eveything got to the scrapyard, we got there in the parking lot with his station wagon and made a few trips to bring back home everything we could, including several NOS O2 still in box, a few Octanes and a whole Onyx 2 that took half a day to dismantle and two round trips. Sometimes later, a guy who was working at a CGI company (movies/advertisements etc.) called us and said "everything SGI related is going to the dumpster, are you interested ?". I got two Octane 2 and two Discreet Stones (one FC and one SCSI). I then bought some upgrades (ram/cpu etc.) here and on ebay to max everything out. The Onyx 2 is still in my friends's basement in pieces, missing a few things to get started. Maybe next year we'll put the thing back up ! 8-)
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Jack Luminous wrote:I got my machines from a friend of mine who worked at SGI France for a long time. He still had friends over there and one day, they decided to scrap a whole lot of things. Before eveything got to the scrapyard, we got there in the parking lot with his station wagon and made a few trips to bring back home everything we could, including several NOS O2 still in box, a few Octanes and a whole Onyx 2 that took half a day to dismantle and two round trips. Sometimes later, a guy who was working at a CGI company (movies/advertisements etc.) called us and said "everything SGI related is going to the dumpster, are you interested ?". I got two Octane 2 and two Discreet Stones (one FC and one SCSI). I then bought some upgrades (ram/cpu etc.) here and on ebay to max everything out. The Onyx 2 is still in my friends's basement in pieces, missing a few things to get started. Maybe next year we'll put the thing back up ! 8-)

Hope you can get the Onyx going, Is that a deskside or a rackside Onyx2? Guessing rack because it wouldn't fit in the car?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Bought most of mine, sometimes at a very low price. Unfortunately, every contact I make yields nothing.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Mine came from two sources. First, from a local university. A friend of my dad's (who I knew fairly well) worked at the virtual reality centre, and I got three Indy's from him (with Indy cams, monitors, keyboards, mice, and a full set of IRIX 6.5.21 disks). This is also where I picked up the SGI bug originally after seeing their Onyx 1000 in full force back in the 90s. Then a couple of years later, I acquired two O2s from the school of computing and maths there - they were being given away free to the staff, so my dad acquired a couple on my behalf.

Fast forward many years, and my Indigo2 and Fuel were bought as full systems from Ian Mapleson (mapesdhs on here). He does decent prices for lower-spec "enthusiast" stuff, but the higher end kit is expensive (and aimed at companies that still use SGI systems).

It's more difficult now, as most SGI stuff has already been decommissioned from companies. So it's much harder to find bargains out there.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 am

Dodoid wrote:
Hope you can get the Onyx going, Is that a deskside or a rackside Onyx2? Guessing rack because it wouldn't fit in the car?

The thing lacks the MSC (or whatever it's called) because it was taken to repair another one so it was somewhat incomplete. It's the big two-meters high fridge. We dismantled it entirely, even the frame. It took two trips to bring it back. We closed the trunk of the wagon but the frame side rails were touching the windshield.
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 am

I got my Octane2 (with installed and licensed versions of Maya 6.5 UL and Apple Shake 3.6) on ebay, I got my quad 700MHz Tezro from a local recycler, and I got my 6 CPU Onyx4 from fellow nekochan member mopar-5150. And three very fine systems they are... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I can't recall how I got my first SGI, a PI, I know it came after my SUN VME and SUN386 and again no idea where I got my first Indigo Elan (I know where I sold it though, a young man in Wembley England). I used to read Micro Mart from cover to cover searching for anything UNIX related.

Then during the late 90s I got involved in a project for an education company that covered Graphics and Web Design and it was to be kitted out with INDY's and o2s'. Which is were I got to meet Nick an SGI dealer in Scotland. I obtained a bit from him.

The rest, Ebay, Nekochan members, Mr Mapleson and my possible best buy from SPHOCK.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 am

Summarizing: I was in the right place at the right time.

I got my first two Indys and two teal Indigo2s from a Dutch hobbyist computer fair, the now defunct HCC Dagen. One of my old roommates from my university days was living around the corner and would always celebrate his birthday on the night before the final day of the computer fair. On the last day of the fair sellers would be eager to shift their remaining inventory for bargain prices and we would be hung over and ready to buy. A recipe to come home with something insane and useless :mrgreen: This was in the late nineties and I had an Indy on my desk at work at the time, so naturally I wanted one for myself at home. Their condition was unknown so I bought 2 of each for a total sum of around 50EUR. By the time I had them going I was hooked.

I helped out maintaining the SGIs at the neighbors from time to time (a Pro-Engineer outfit) and they gave me an R10000 Indigo2 with a dead PSU and a 4D/35. Bought one or two Indigos from local sources. Then I started picking up bigger iron (4D PowerSeries), mostly because I could and and they were really cheap. All from local sources. Got a huge load of software and books when my old University got rid of their Varsity program inventory.

In the last 10 years or so I've occasionally bought systems that needed to be shipped, but I sourced most though local 2nd hand sites and picked them up in person.

I more or less stopped buying any more systems. I think I've got one of every family/generation now and you've got to draw the line somewhere. The last system I bought was a purple O2+ with R7000 CPU. Within driving distance, mint condition and I think I paid 25 bucks for it, couldn't pass up on that. ;)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:47 am

My first SGI machines were corporate purchases, so they came direct from SGI or, in some cases, from a local reseller. These systems ranged from Indys to Challenges to Origins. The first SGI I obtained for home use came when my employer retired an R3000 Indigo that was used as a confocal microscope controller. Eventually, the microscope manufacturer recommended switching to a PC-based controller, so the lab manager gave me the old Indigo. My first actual purchase of an SGI for personal use was from the local reseller. The reseller had an O2 that they used in their offices to run customer demos and trainings, and when they decided to upgrade to a newer machine, they called me an offered the old O2 to me for $700. At the time, that was an incredibly great deal! Over the years, I've bought or traded with Nekochanners for other systems, including a very nice Fuel.

One caution to folks new to IRIX machines: they multiply! I swear that if you leave two Indys alone in the same room together, soon there will be a third, and a fourth, and a...

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:34 am

josehill wrote:One caution to folks new to IRIX machines: they multiply! I swear that if you leave two Indys alone in the same room together, soon there will be a third, and a fourth, and a...

Could they be crossbred? Is there a possibility of a Crimtane ( :Crimson: x :Octane: )? A Tezyx ( :Tezro: x :Onyx: )? Indy-sized Origins? Origin-sized Indys? Could we breed the liliger of SGIs with Tezyx with a Tezro ( ( :Tezro: x :Onyx: ) x :Tezro: )? :mrgreen:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:42 am

Dodoid wrote:Could they be crossbred?

Ack! My Sun Blade 2500 and my Tezro are sitting on the same desk, I'd better separate them, if they crossbreed the Universe could implode! :shock:

If we're talking first exposure to SGIs, mine was circa 1993 when the Powers that Be at work switched from Anvil to Pro/E and plunked down brand spankin' new Indigo²s on everyone's desk. Gosh, the memories! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 pm

First system (a loaded IRIS 3130 in 1990) was from an electronics wholesaler/recycler near MIT who'd expanded into used computers over the years.

Second system (a high spec R4400 Indigo2 w/ monitor) came from an ad posted to Netnews I believe - either ne.forsale or comp.sys.sgi.mumble - back in the ... well, I can't find the relevant messages at the moment, somewhere between 2002 and 2004?

Everything after that is the fault of a local Craigslist post for a 1600SW in the spring of 2010, which caused me to pick up an Octane at a recycler, then an Octane2 via another CL ad, then some parts on eBay, some more parts through the forum, a couple Origin 300s from a liquidator on the East Coast via eBay, an I2 via CL, more Octane parts, an L2, some Altix 350 bricks, another L2, an Altix 450 IRU...

"Multiply" is not sufficiently descriptive...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:10 pm

vishnu wrote:
Dodoid wrote:Could they be crossbred?

Ack! My Sun Blade 2500 and my Tezro are sitting on the same desk, I'd better separate them, if they crossbreed the Universe could implode!

Even today, that kind of behavior is illegal in some jurisdictions! :mrgreen:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”