TechPubs lives again!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

TechPubs lives again!

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue May 24, 2016 7:24 am

So I brushed up my awk skills a bit last weekend and parsed the entire dump of the defunct techpubs.sgi.com site.

The results are live at: http://techpubs.jurassic.nl/ and https://techpubs.jurassic.nl/

My skills as a web designer / graphics artist are very limited and the layout of the site reflects this :)
But it does work with Mozilla 1.x from IRIX 6.5, and is even browsable with Netscape 4.x

The bulk of the information should be there again. What's not online:

* Anything published in the categories "Linux", "Hardware" or "Windows" after the production stop of MIPS/IRIX hardware (December 2006). I'll let SGI take care of their non-abandoned products.

* Release Notes, Manpages. This might change.

* The entire site is static HTML. I have no desire to babysit this thing waiting for someone to compromise my server because of my crappy CGI codes. This means also there's no search -- but that might change also.

Please be gentle with wget & friends. There's about 6.5GB of data. It's not going away unless a lawyers tells me it has too, or if my ISP tells me I'm grossly violating their FUP.
Last edited by jan-jaap on Tue May 24, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

devv

Re: TechPubs lives again!

Unread postby devv » Tue May 24, 2016 7:34 am

Fantastic, thanks!

It's also now mentioned on http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/TechPubs.

The main Wiki page http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Main_Page now also links to that page for "TechPubs" instead going to the old/invalid URL directly.
Last edited by devv on Tue May 24, 2016 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 am

Thank you Jan-Jaap!

You beat me to my python/sqlite3 solution :) Nevertheless, i will continue with the development: my aim is to make it searchable (keywords based).
Can we include a link of your techpubs page on the front page of this forum?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Tue May 24, 2016 7:41 am

Great job !! 8-)
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

devv

Unread postby devv » Tue May 24, 2016 7:51 am

How about adding a page tab titled "All", and listing all the documents under it?
That would partly solve the issue of the search function not being available, plus it may be more convenient for people who want to see the complete listing and search titles/topics with the browser's Find function.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue May 24, 2016 8:10 am

dexter1 wrote:You beat me to my python/sqlite3 solution :) Nevertheless, i will continue with the development: my aim is to make it searchable (keywords based).

I think I can have search too -- using Google. I guess I have to wait for the googlebot to finish... I have some other ideas too, but we'll see where it goes and how much traffic it generates.

dexter1 wrote:Can we include a link of your techpubs page on the front page of this forum?

Yeah sure, it's not a secret.

If someone has some constructive criticism about how to make it look better yet still work with older browsers feel free to chime in. I just want to avoid the house style and logos of SGI (old and current) for obvious reasons.
devv wrote:How about adding a page tab titled "All", and listing all the documents under it?
That would partly solve the issue of the search function not being available, plus it may be more convenient for people who want to see the complete listing and search titles/topics with the browser's Find function.

There are nearly 4000 manuals in the 'pool' directory. That's going to be one hell of a page. People will tell me I crashed their Indy :mrgreen:
The manuals themselves are not randomly sorted, but alphabetical -- with a twist, e.g. :

Audio/Serial Option User's Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
CHALLENGE S Server Owner's Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
CASEVision/ClearCase Administration Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
Diskless Workstation Administration Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
Diskless Workstation Administration Guide Addendum [PDF] [TGZ]
Origin FibreVault and Fibre Channel RAID Administrator's Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
FDDIXPress Administration Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
IRIS FailSafe Administrator's Guide [PDF] [TGZ]
WebFORCE Firewall Administrator's Guide
(etc etc)

The order of entries is the same as the original techpubs site.

I initially had "A" ... "Z" markers mixed in the list to make it more readable, but there's no way (?) to autogenerate this so I gave up on it for now. Essentially, I generate the page body table from the original techpubs.sgi.com mirror, and add some fragments of HTML to make it a complete page with header, nav bar and footer.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue May 24, 2016 10:53 am

ha, fantastic!! hugs and kisses jj :P

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue May 24, 2016 12:08 pm

There's something else that's not 100% complete. Many (most?) manuals come in different versions. Sometimes these versions apply to different IRIX versions, e.g.

IRIX 5.3 => C Language Reference Manual => 007-0701-080
IRIX 6.2 => C Language Reference Manual => 007-0701-130
IRIX 6.3 => C Language Reference Manual => 007-0701-130
IRIX 6.4 => C Language Reference Manual => 007-0701-130
IRIX 6.5 => C Language Reference Manual => 007-0701-150

However, sometimes there are manuals which are replaced (updated) for one (or more) IRIX versions. In this case, my full copy still has versions 007-0701-090, 007-0701-100, 007-0701-110, 007-0701-120 and 007-0701-140.

I link straight to the manual from the table, the original TechPubs didn't and the intermediate page had links to these "older versions".
Not sure how relevant they are to the average user, since the newest version per collection (IRIX version) is linked.

Still, I think it doesn't add up completely. I have a total of 3896 PDF and html.tgz files from 1096 unique manuals (e.g. 007-0701 in the example above). I culled everything newer than 1/1/2007 from Linux, Hardware and Windows, but a wget copy of my own site resulted in 1256 PDF and html.tgz files from 496 unique manuals. That's not enough. More work is needed :|

NB: For those who want everything and anything, MANX had a copy of the PDFs (not html.tgz) online for a long time: http://manx.classiccmp.org/mirror/techpubs.sgi.com/ but you need to know what part# you're looking for ...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 pm

:D I think I've just spent the last few hours of the working day reading techpub again! :D

Outstanding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Tue May 24, 2016 1:30 pm

I hoped someone would do this - Thank you!
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 24, 2016 2:10 pm

ivelegacy wrote:Apologize for my OT
[SNIP]
anyway, well done, thanks for your effort JJ :D
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Wed May 25, 2016 2:31 am

Amazing work, thanks!
And I quite like the website layout - its straightforward and fast - no waiting 10 seconds for a database query every time a link is clicked.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 am

I've been sitting on pins and needles waiting for someone to do this, thanks JJ you're totally saving me! :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Wed May 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for this! Very much appreciated!
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri May 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks j-j - was feeling pretty lost without TechPubs access.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Return to “SGI: Discussion”