TechPubs lives again!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
computron

Re: TechPubs lives again!

Unread postby computron » Sat May 28, 2016 2:27 am

yeeaahhh

JAN-JAAP !! your RAWK !!!

Eve

JohnK
Donor
Donor

Unread postby JohnK » Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Many thanks from me too JJ! Everyone here is really indispensable to the knowledge that they offer on so many different levels. I am so glad this forum exists and hope that it continues for many more years to come. It reminds me of a Linux distribution I used to use several years ago called Trustix, that I used on a few servers at work. What made it so special was that the core developers were always available on the listserve and if a problem cropped up, such as a software bug, it was patched within a day or two. Open discussion was the norm and and it worked beautifully as a server distro. The discussion on that listserve had very good "cohesion", much like what I most definitely see here.
SGI: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Fuel:
SUN: T2000 (x2], SunBlade 1500 Red (x2), SPARCstation 5 (x2) - Nextstep/Openstep, SPARCstation IPX
Alpha: DEC AXP 3000/300LX, API CS20 (Dual 833 Mhz CPUs)
Cobalt RaQ 550

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Oh this is amazing! You think google will be able to index the pages again? I liked it when I googled stuff and I'd get random images out of the techpubs.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

devv

Unread postby devv » Sun May 29, 2016 2:17 am

Hey, how about putting document numbers somewhere visible in the table rows, so that searching with Ctrl+F in the browser can find them?
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon May 30, 2016 1:31 am

devv wrote:Hey, how about putting document numbers somewhere visible in the table rows, so that searching with Ctrl+F in the browser can find them?

Done. Is that an improvement?

pentium wrote:Oh this is amazing! You think google will be able to index the pages again? I liked it when I googled stuff and I'd get random images out of the techpubs.

It should, but my google-foo isn't strong. I'm learning every day. ;) For the moment at least I'll keep the googlebots out of the directory with PDFs and .html.tgz files, but it can have the online manuals. Once things settle and I have a better idea of how much bandwidth it's using I may lift this restriction. I've now established ownership with google so I'm hoping it will speed up a bit :)

I also solved the mystery of the missing manuals. To rebuild the index pages I used a booklist.txt file from the original TechPubs dump which listed only those manuals from TechPubs which were browsable online. Many manuals were not, but only downloadable as a PDF and/or html.tgz file.

Also, the original TechPubs was categorized in two independent (?) ways. Probably the results of a decade of "organic growth" :cry: One is what I have right now:

Code: Select all

Collection {IRIX, Hdwr, ...} -> Sub { Admin / Developer / End User / Service }

For the manuals currently missing I lack the metadata to put them in one of these categories. Also, the current list is vaguely alphabetical, and even if I could add could add manuals to one of { Admin / Developer / End User / Service } I still have to deal with this sorting. I'm not going to do that by hand, sorry.

The other seems to be a "per product" categorization, e.g.

Code: Select all

Collection {IRIX, Hdwr, ...} -> Product { Indigo2 / Octane / ... / Ada Compiler / ... }

Where each "Product" can have several manuals, e.g. "Owner's Manual", "VPro Upgrade Manual", "DM2 Video Option", etc. This is metadata I believe I have for every manual, so this structure I can rebuild, but it means the entire site index will be turned upside down.

Time allowing, this is what I'm going to do next.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon May 30, 2016 1:57 am

Fantastic! Thanks
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue May 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Great work J-J, thanks for making this available again!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

strong_epoxy

Unread postby strong_epoxy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:49 pm

So what happened? Did they just obsolete all the Irix stuff? Is it still available under another base URL?
:Cube: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy: :320: :1600SW: :Fuel: :Onyx2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 am

strong_epoxy wrote:Did they just obsolete all the Irix stuff?

"Just" ? :lol:

Wikipedia wrote:To obsolete is often used in computing and other technical fields to indicate an effort to remove or replace something.

By that definition IRIX was obsoleted in January 2003, with the introduction of the Altix 3000 series.

December 29th, 2006: End of general availability for MIPS/IRIX products.

SGI (used to?) support it's products for 7 years (assuming you had a valid support contract in place, of course). So:

December 2013: End of support for IRIX.

Somehow, TechPubs managed to survive all of this until February of this year when they outsourced customer support to support1-sgi.custhelp.com.
I tried to search to search that site for IRIX documentation by name and by part number but there's very little left. And why should they? But I think the information there was useful so I revived it hoping it would be of use to other hobbyists.
strong_epoxy wrote:Is it still available under another base URL?

Not that I'm aware of. The old site was cgi driven so only SGI themselves could duplicate it.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “SGI: Discussion”