What did Octane 2's sell for?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: What did Octane 2's sell for?

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 am

vishnu wrote:... they were saying that the entire US stock market in 1980 was worth something like 1 trillion dollars, and today it's worth something like 60 trillion ...

I wonder what that is worth in real Things of Value ? Even the "That's $ 19.95 in 1970 dollars" (Notice they never do it in that direction ?) doesn't really tell you anything. The dollars are all distributed differently now.

The exact same 1906 house with the rotty post and pier foundation over the creek that floods - the exact same house we were paying $50,000 for - sold a few years ago for $700,000.

At the time, I made $5 an hour. This was a plain old middle-class job, not highly-educated techie stem wonderfulness. So if a rising tide lifts all boats, why aren't twenty year old kids earning $70 an hour to start ? That would be a salary of ... oh, $582,000 a year ?

Something is rotten in the state of danemark :(
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm

hamei wrote:The important things, those they own forever and you just get to make payments. For your entire life.
http://www.the-stand-up.com
The payment model works for many things, apparently. :roll:

This is a millenial's perspective. Also, keep in mind that I work for a company that is renting a building. If/when we buy a facility, my opinion about owning a house may change. But there is a chance we may move across town or across country, so...

I am glad to be paying rent instead of a mortgage considering how many things have gone wrong in my apartment over the past year. Everything that is hooked to the plumbing has leaked into the neighbors downstairs, both toilets, both showers, both sinks, the kitchen sink, the dishwasher... even some things that do not have running water (like the airconditioner, because of a dirty evaporator, apparently) have leaked and/or required servicing. :shock: Now my roof is leaking and the ceiling in our spare closet is mouldering, and I know roofing is expensive. I don't know if I ever want to own a house :D A modern refrigerator has a lifespan of about 4 years, I would rather the landlords have to pay for that crap.

Maybe things were different in the old days when you bought a fridge for $50 and it kept turning forever.

At least cars are a lot easier to work on nowadays. CAN bus and standardized PGNs have gone a long way towards that, and not only do manufacturers share more documentation with dealers than ever before, it has never been easier to become a "dealer". My FIL is working to restore a '92 sedan de ville and it is a nightmare of incompatible and ancient communication protocols. Now you can get pretty good can interfaces from peak, kvaser, etc, for a couple hundred dollars. Most work like any other TCP device on a computer. The cheaper ones work like a serial port.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 pm

hamei wrote:
vishnu wrote:... they were saying that the entire US stock market in 1980 was worth something like 1 trillion dollars, and today it's worth something like 60 trillion ...

I wonder what that is worth in real Things of Value ? Even the "That's $ 19.95 in 1970 dollars" (Notice they never do it in that direction ?) doesn't really tell you anything. The dollars are all distributed differently now.

The exact same 1906 house with the rotty post and pier foundation over the creek that floods - the exact same house we were paying $50,000 for - sold a few years ago for $700,000.

At the time, I made $5 an hour. This was a plain old middle-class job, not highly-educated techie stem wonderfulness. So if a rising tide lifts all boats, why aren't twenty year old kids earning $70 an hour to start ? That would be a salary of ... oh, $582,000 a year ?

Something is rotten in the state of danemark :(

Ha! You think real estate is expensive?! You have not tried a surgery, any long term chronic healthcare, anything simple like having a broken arm cast, or childbirth. The healthcare business is the place to be for maximum prooooofit! Especially since there are no "cures" any more, only long term medication. Because the pill pushers need another yacht. Especially the mental cases such as mild depression that requires $80/month addictive medication that will eventually turn into $300/month medication (again... 'addictive'). It is a good business to be in :) And the customers don't care so long as they keep up their insurance premium payments.

Maybe this is just IMO as a transplanted Canadian and is business as usual for the bona-fide yankees... but it doesn't seem like a sustainable system to me.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:10 pm

guardian452 wrote:...specially the mental cases such as mild depression that requires $80/month addictive medication that will eventually turn into $300/month medication (again... 'addictive').

Uh, pretty sure that SSRIs, which are almost exclusively used for treatment of depression these days, are not considered habit-forming. Disclaimer-wise I have never taken one but my ex gf did (paxil), and she had no problem tapering off it over the period of just a few weeks.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 pm

'Wedding' is the cash flow word..

A broken arm at a wedding would probably break the 60 trillion mark!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Don't even get me started if the Wedding was on a bank holiday and you had a broken arm! OMG.. and then there's the school holiday period!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm

uunix wrote:Don't even get me started if the Wedding was on a bank holiday and you had a broken arm! OMG.. and then there's the school holiday period!

I broke my arm once, at summer camp. Fell off a horse. An Arabian stallion. A big one. That was galloping at full speed. I had never ridden before, they were supposed to be teaching me how. Their "instructions" amounted to putting me in the saddle, then taking off down the road on their horses at full speed and telling me to follow... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:11 am

My wife was diagnosed with cancer last October, we're up to about $400,000. And that's without reconstruction which starts at the end of summer. We'll have a half million when it's over but we have really good insurance.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 pm

I had/have one of those SGI spreadsheets that have a Discrete configuration Octane (dual 600/DM2/DCD, etc.) at right around US $190,000. This is from SGI for the hardware only, this was not from Discrete and did not include Flame.

Hmmm... Ferrari or Octane...

Decisions...

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 am

Axatax_ wrote:I had/have one of those SGI spreadsheets that have a Discrete configuration Octane (dual 600/DM2/DCD, etc.) at right around US $190,000. This is from SGI for the hardware only, this was not from Discrete and did not include Flame.

Hmmm... Ferrari or Octane...

Decisions...

That's insane!
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Do you think they would buy mine back?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:06 am

ivelegacy wrote:should we invent a time-machine, buddy?

The same machine existing in the same time.. you're asking for trouble chap!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Wanted: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before. :shock:
Project:
Plan:

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 pm

vishnu wrote:Wanted: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before. :shock:

Like Tony Soprano said - "Come Heavy or not at all". If it's mayhem, I'm in.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Vladio wrote:Like Tony Soprano said - "Come Heavy or not at all". If it's mayhem, I'm in.

Since at least the introduction of steel gun tubes in the Franco-Prussian war, outgunned is outmanned...
Attachments
krupp_gun_exhibit.jpg

Return to “SGI: Discussion”