Disk failure?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dustin.smous

Disk failure?

Unread postby dustin.smous » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 pm

I have an INDY with an issue...

It is (was) running IRIX 6.2...

It has been shut down for a while, and when I went to start it up today, after the screen with the option to 'stop for maintenance', I get a grey window in the center of the screen with 'IRIX Release 6.2', and the copyright date and such, followed by line after line of :

dks0d1s0: Media error: Unrecovered data block read error (asc=0x11, asq=0x0), Block #2952276 (2955350)

with some other lines intermixed - this or that failed to execute...

I can get to single user, but can't seem to much of anything without those same errors...

Short of reinstalling IRIX, does anyone have any ideas?

---and it's funny it happens the day after rescuing a working NeXTstation from the dumpster at work...
:Indy:

dustin.smous

Re: Disk failure?

Unread postby dustin.smous » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am

...and then it was fixed...

Did this...

fx -x dksc

Selected the proper controller, etc

Went in to the 'exe' menu, chose 'seq', and the 'ro-cmp'

Now, I'm assuming this is going to happen again... Any advice on disk replacement?

dustin.smous

Unread postby dustin.smous » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 am

Disk did in fact die...

Shutdown the system to hook up an external so I could follow the directions elsewhere on the site to clone the system disk.

When I powered back up, the internal drive sounded more like a circular saw than a hard disk, and Autoboot now fails....

Time to ask for a set of IRIX disks for christmas, I guess...

porter

Unread postby porter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

Did you know that iff you had done an XFS dump of the disk onto an external machine you could have done run xfsrestore within a miniroot remote booted from the free 6.5.22m update?
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”