Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm 

hello,
can anyone help me on where I can get NT (and the other stuff) for the visual workstation 320? or how to hack regular NT into it? I figured id post here because I felt the irix section was the wrong place for the question. thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:16 pm 

compuman86 wrote:
hello,
can anyone help me on where I can get NT (and the other stuff) for the visual workstation 320? or how to hack regular NT into it? I figured id post here because I felt the irix section was the wrong place for the question. thanks

Screw NT, Windows 2000 runs nicely on the 320. I don't know if the drivers or patches for the 320/540 are still up on SupportFolio or not, if not, I got them

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 pm 

yeah, I know that, its more of a collectors thing, originality, but Im sure its gonna end up with 2000 at some point because it seems difficult to get the original NT for it...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am 

Plain NT 4.0 for x86 works fine on the 320/540. You'll need the patches from Supportfolio to get the display driver but otherwise it all runs fine. But NT of course is pretty useless nowadays. Even 2000 is looking long on the tooth if you need to go online. Then the fun starts to get Photoshop etc that can use the sgi plugins to benefit from the speedup that the Cobalt system provides.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 pm 

Simple: Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/SGI-Software-Schuber-fuer-VW-320-mit-Windows-NT4-Lizenz_W0QQitemZ220541404260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger├Ąte_PC_Systeme?hash=item33594ac464

it's a means to an end

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:48 pm 

unfortunately, im gonna have to say "nein" on this one, as it is in germany and he doesnt offer shipping to the USA. but if he did, id probably grab it...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 pm 

Gang - please keep in mind the Forum rules: "Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal."

Even though it's ancient, NT still counts as commercial software.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:45 pm 

Just my opinion but I think the moderators should consider modifying the Forum rules to something along the lines of "buy/sell/trade/or transfer the possession of without cost or any other means of compensation..."

EDIT:

Well I'm no attorney but I also think there should also be something like "...including any such transfer which includes an agreement between the transferer and the recipient that a valid license from the software publisher...will be obtained by the recipient...prior to installation or use of the obtained software...on any computer...by the recipient..."

Good grief that's retarded. Just leave things as they are... 8-)

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:50 pm 

josehill wrote:
Gang - please keep in mind the Forum rules: "Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal."

Even though it's ancient, NT still counts as commercial software.

dually noted. I was talking about getting legal copies, as in where can I buy legit copies... sorry for any confusion..

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 am 

Quote:
unfortunately, im gonna have to say "nein" on this one, as it is in germany and he doesnt offer shipping to the USA. but if he did, id probably grab it...
You can always ask the seller if they ship internationally if you pay the postage. I'd say that works in about 50% of the cases. If he doesn't, there are a number of german nekochan members around, maybe one of them can forward a parcel for you.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:56 am 

vishnu wrote:
Just my opinion but I think the moderators should consider modifying the Forum rules {snip}
This subject has been discussed a few times before, and the condensed version always ends up looking like: "The forum is owned and operated as a hobby by a single individual, Nekonoko. Nekonoko has no interest in receiving nasty letters from attorneys representing software vendors, so he has chosen to institute a very conservative policy regarding offers to buy/sell/trade commercial software. It's his forum, it runs by his rules, and this particular rule isn't likely to change any time soon. There are places on the net where people can go to find commercial software, but Nekochan.net is not such a place."

compuman86 wrote:
I was talking about getting legal copies, as in where can I buy legit copies... sorry for any confusion..

I think your original post was fine, since someone could answer with a pointer towards an official, licensed reseller or to the original software publisher. (Okay, maybe not so useful for this particular software, but that's the theory. ;) )

The problem was a response where someone explicitly offered the software to you. I deleted that post, but in retrospect, perhaps I should have edited it instead.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:38 am 

Quote:
I think your original post was fine...
Indeed; the offense was mine not compuman86's. And now by way of recompense I will go laboriously type the NT shrinkwrap license and post it in every forum... :mrgreen:
Quote:
Nekonoko has no interest in receiving nasty letters from attorneys representing software vendors...
Then it's a good thing we don't have a SCO Unixware forum! 8-)

World domination! Or something...