PureData, sound over network without soundcard.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
agkbill

PureData, sound over network without soundcard.

Unread postby agkbill » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi All!

I now got PureData running nicely on my fuel, but unfortunate I do not have a soundcard.

But my Pc running Linux, also that one with PureData, there I got a nice E-mu 1820 soundcard.

My question is if it is possible to trick Pd that I have a soundcard and send it over Ethernet to my Pc and use my soundcard there?

The network interface objects that I found within Pd can only send controldata no sound :(

Best would have been a object in Pd that can sen sound, but I have not seen that.

Any ideas?

All the best!
/Christer

recondas

Re: PureData, sound over network without soundcard.

Unread postby recondas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 pm

agkbill wrote:But my Pc running Linux, also that one with PureData, there I got a nice E-mu 1820 soundcard.
The Fuel has an EMU-based audio driver <with IRIX 6.5.25 or higher>. AFAIK it's only been tried with some of the Creative Audigy boards, but if you've got an adventurous streak you could always test the E-mu 1820 in the Fuel.

If you'd like an inexpensive audio board for the Fuel, the Fuel (IP35) Hardware Aggregator lists a few members have reported as compatible. There's several pages of Soundblaster Audigy boards on eBay for less than a decent six-pack.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

agkbill

Re: PureData, sound over network without soundcard.

Unread postby agkbill » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:49 am

Yes, to get a Soundblaster Audigy board, would give me sound but that is not the main problem.

If I did that I would need to physicaly connect that one to my E-mu 1820 and occupy inputs on that one that I need to plug in my synthesizers on. Further it would be a a D to A and a A to D conversion extra.

So it would be excellent to just stream the audio directly over ethernet into PureData.

At: I found some interesting objects that could solve the issue, but I never managed to compile them.

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/netsend~/

Well,

Ideas welcome,

All the best!!
/Christer

Return to “SGI: Discussion”