Tandem-badged SGIs

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
josehill

Re: Tandem-badged SGIs

Unread postby josehill » Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 am

iKitsune wrote:For some reason, I can imagine my Onyx2 saying that to my SunFire 880.

Heh. Probably more like an Origin 2000 rack saying that to a Sun "Starfire" Enterprise 10000. Sun bought the core tech of the latter from SGI when SGI dumped it to avoid antitrust issues from the Cray acquisition. Sun's Enterprise 10k immediately went on to spank the O2k in the enterprise market.

That said, does anyone else have more info about the Tandem badged machines?

iKitsune

Unread postby iKitsune » Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 am

josehill wrote:Heh. Probably more like an Origin 2000 rack saying that to a Sun "Starfire" Enterprise 10000.

Yeah, I just don't have an E10K or a rack O2K. :)

And as far as the Tandems go, we have a black Tandem-badged Indy around the office, but nobody remembers where it came from. They think it might have been part of an abandoned accounting system we used in the late 90s.
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri May 15, 2009 3:37 pm

josehill wrote:That said, does anyone else have more info about the Tandem badged machines?

All I've found so far was that the rebadged SGIs were members of the Tandem Integrity NR (Network Resource, not to be confused with the Tandem Integrity R) series, evidently to attempt to increase market share in the "network server that doesn't need to be high-reliability" end of the market. They sold rebadged Challenge SMP machines and Indys at the least (a configuration worksheet and quote is posted on the Internet at http://www.tpc.org/results/individual_r ... NR4436.pdf ), don't know about Challenge S models. The Tandem HATS software was an option on the SMP Challenges.

That and they were black and Shel has one nearby that he's getting rid of.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri May 15, 2009 3:45 pm

SAQ wrote:That and they were black and Shel has one nearby that he's getting rid of.

I still have a black Tandem badged Challenge L Vault in the garage I haven't been able to give away. Had two, took one to recycling a while back.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

shel

Unread postby shel » Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 am

SAQ wrote:
josehill wrote:That said, does anyone else have more info about the Tandem badged machines?

That and they were black and Shel has one nearby that he's getting rid of.

I'm finally back in the USA and beginning to find stuff. I'm thinking I should host a Seattle-area SGI swap-fest and pick-up day once I find all the stuff and get it going again....

-Shel

shel

Unread postby shel » Sat May 16, 2009 9:04 am

nekonoko wrote:
SAQ wrote:That and they were black and Shel has one nearby that he's getting rid of.

I still have a black Tandem badged Challenge L Vault in the garage I haven't been able to give away. Had two, took one to recycling a while back.

I wish Pleasanton wasn't so far, or shipping so expensive. I think it would be a gas to have the Vault and the Challenge together....

-Shel

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 am

Yeah, it's incredibly heavy - very much like a boat anchor :)

It would be nice to see it next to a proper Tandem Challenge though - can't be too many of these still around.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”