SW maintenance - still advisable?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Oskar45

Re: SW maintenance - still advisable?

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 am

maxsleg wrote:Oskar45 - what is the deal with hardware on that contract? Do you get any service call outs? If H/W fails do they replace it FOC?

Yes, hardware [including monitor, CDROM, floppy] is covered. Failed hardware is replaced on location next working day FOC. Of course, if some parts need to be ordered from the European Support Center, it might take two days...
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

maxsleg

Unread postby maxsleg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:44 am

That is pretty quick - have you had to use that service yet? If you have was it a 'real' SGI employee or a third party contractor?
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:53 am

maxsleg wrote:That is pretty quick - have you had to use that service yet? If you have was it a 'real' SGI employee or a third party contractor?

Yes, I had [and before with my Indigo & Indigo2 as well]. SGI doesn't hav a local office anymore, so it's done by a third party contractor.

AlArenal

Unread postby AlArenal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:48 am

SAQ wrote:
AlArenal wrote:What's the best way these days to get a current MIPSpro suite? (except of waiting for ages until someone sells on ePay)

Look in to Developer Plus.

Thanks for the hint. I just filled out my application. We'll see what happens...
"Look, Ma, I'm dead!"
- Stephen King, Cell

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 am

Let me know- last time I filled it out I wasn't "commercial" enough, but now I have a few Nekoware packages under my belt, so I'm thinking of trying again.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

joerg
Donor
Donor

Unread postby joerg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 am

SAQ wrote:Let me know- last time I filled it out I wasn't "commercial" enough, but now I have a few Nekoware packages under my belt, so I'm thinking of trying again.

Well, i never got a responce on my application and we do serious java development at this time. But after 200 nekoware packages there is no need anymore for a dev account. The only thing iam missing is reading online docs trough supportfolio.

regards
Joerg

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:00 am

>last time I filled it out I wasn't "commercial" enough
-I know some one who had a similar response in the 90's, when he was requested for a 'business-plan' (he was promised an Indigo for audio-development). He continued to develop his program on the PowerMac and now works for Apple doing just that...

AvS

AlArenal

Unread postby AlArenal » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:26 am

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that one day after I filled out the online application I am now officially a Dev Pro!

This really helps me get over the fact, that I missed a R14k-600 for my Octane on ePay by just a few minutes.....
"Look, Ma, I'm dead!"
- Stephen King, Cell

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am

recondas wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: most questions I pose to them noone on Nekochan don't know anything about...

If that's the case, be sure to take good notes - your knowledge might well prove invaluable to someone here with a seemingly unsolvable issue.

Oh yes, I do. And only for the record - in the past I'd indeed posted here solutions I'd received from my local support to a handful of problems for the benefit of others - free of charge, of course. Now, where is my donation box ;) ;) ;)

clavileno

Unread postby clavileno » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:06 pm

kramlq wrote:Dave Olson and John Mashey were fairly influential in terms of IRIX, and they both used to post a lot on Usenet. Also Alexis Cousin with SGI Belgium used to answer a lot of queries on Usenet. Their postings all pretty much stop around the time of the SGI Wintel and Linux transitions. Presumably they saw what was on the horizon :D

Sorry to drag this up, but I was - completely independently - wondering whether Alexis Cousein was still around. It seems he is, still in Belgium, just with his job title increased slightly from "Senior Systems Engineer" to "Senior Systems Engineer / Solutions Architect".

He still posts on a few Unix & Linux forums. I always did wonder about his abrupt departure from comp.sys.sgi.* but I'm afraid it seems a little unfair to just email / call him and ask :)

According to his site, Dave Olson left SGI in 99, which would be rather a lot earlier than Alexis' withdrawl. Actually, well worth a quick read of Dave's site for all sorts of reasons.

John Mashey left SGI in 2000.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”