SW maintenance - still advisable?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Oskar45

SW maintenance - still advisable?

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am

My support contract for IRIX, MipsPro C/C++ and ProDev/Workshop expired at the end of 2007. While I'd occasionally put it to good use in the past, I'm rather reluctant to renew it.

What's your opinion :?:
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Re: SW maintenance - still advisable?

Unread postby kramlq » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:55 am

Oskar45 wrote:My support contract for IRIX, MipsPro C/C++ and ProDev/Workshop expired at the end of 2007. While I'd occasionally put it to good use in the past, I'm rather reluctant to renew it.

What's your opinion :?:

Irix seems to be stuck at 6.5.30 for a long time now. And as regards IRIX patches, one of the most overdue and important patches they released (to fix the xfs fsr bug) had to be withdrawn, due to a another serious bug it introduced. I don't use MIPSpro enough to follow its status, but I believe it also has known bugs that are unresolved.

That clearly shows SGI's attitude to IRIX support these days - hardly something worth paying for (esp. if you are a home user)?

PS: Someone did see 6.5.31 mentioned in some patch release notes, but who knows if they still plan to release it.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:31 am

kramlq wrote:And as regards IRIX patches, one of the most overdue and important patches they released (to fix the xfs fsr bug) had to be withdrawn, due to a another serious bug it introduced.

Wow, I wonder if they read my crash report here on Nekochan (yeah right ;) ). I just checked and sure enough, the patch seems to be no longer on Supportfolio.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 am

nekonoko wrote:Wow, I wonder if they read my crash report here on Nekochan (yeah right ;) ). I just checked and sure enough, the patch seems to be no longer on Supportfolio.

I imagine that some members of there IRIX team probably are IRIX junkies, and visit here occasionally. I can see why they would be reluctant to let news of their SGI connection get out here, though.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 am

SAQ wrote:I imagine that some members of there IRIX team probably are IRIX junkies, and visit here occasionally. I can see why they would be reluctant to let news of their SGI connection get out here, though.

don't get too excited. some of the people that do the best work don't waste time on webforums (if they're even ever heard of them).
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 am

Any member of the Irix team who was worth their weight in salt left long ago.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:04 pm

Dave Olson and John Mashey were fairly influential in terms of IRIX, and they both used to post a lot on Usenet. Also Alexis Cousin with SGI Belgium used to answer a lot of queries on Usenet. Their postings all pretty much stop around the time of the SGI Wintel and Linux transitions. Presumably they saw what was on the horizon :D

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:21 am

John Mashey wasted all his time babbling on usenet's comp.arch
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:25 am

Renewed it. Used it already five times this year. It's simply great to have their support, even if so many on here cough at SGI whenever they can...

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:33 am

Oskar45 wrote:Renewed it. Used it already five times this year. It's simply great to have their support, even if so many on here cough at SGI whenever they can...

No, most people here are just jealous of you....they don't have quite the investment budget you do. (And likely don't depend on their SGIs as much as you...)

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:42 am

dc_v01 wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:Renewed it. Used it already five times this year. It's simply great to have their support, even if so many on here cough at SGI whenever they can...

No, most people here are just jealous of you....they don't have quite the investment budget you do. (And likely don't depend on their SGIs as much as you...)

I certainly fail to see why anyone here could be jealous of me just because I've a support contract [allowing me to pester them with all kinds of silly questions any time I like]. Believe me - in the past 15 years I'd quite a few problems with my SGI boxes for which I couldn't get any solutions at all except from my support. Otherwise, I'd have dropped out of SGI ***long*** ago. And no, I don't *depend* on my SGIs at all - I just want to have my boxes running and to do with them what I want. And when there are issues - well, my support is there to sort them out...

Besides, as the majority on here owns quite a few more SGI boxes than I do [probably worth more than a support contract], I'd have reasons to be jealous of them. But, alas, I'm not. I'm quite happy with my Fuel & Indigo2...

toxygen

Unread postby toxygen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:42 am

i'm just wondering how much does such support cost?
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 pm

toxygen wrote:i'm just wondering how much does such support cost?

Gotta love sgi's upfront pricing policy. Or rather the lack thereof... ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:49 pm

toxygen wrote:i'm just wondering how much does such support cost?

It depends. sgi pricing seems to change depending on who you are: I had a quote for software go from $3000 to $1,000 to $0. Government, or big business would be screwed for as much as they can possibly get out of them. That seems to be the pricing policy.

Also you get questioned about how many cpus. More than 4 and they will try for more money out of you, at least for software licenses.

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:22 am

regan_russell wrote:Also you get questioned about how many cpus. More than 4 and they will try for more money out of you, at least for software licenses.

I have a 2 CPU Octane that came with a MIPSpro license for <= 1024 CPU's!

Return to “SGI: Discussion”