SGI - Microsoft

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bjames

SGI - Microsoft

Unread postby bjames » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Just wondering, anyone think SGI will ever try to get back into the desktop workstation market again. If SGI came out with a good windows/linux based workstation targeted to compete with HP, Dell ect at a reasonal price and of course packaged into their typical sexy colored box, I would most definatly buy one...
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:

pentium

Re: SGI - Microsoft

Unread postby pentium » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:57 pm

The world ends when we see a non-proprietary PC case with an SGI cube on it.

They will stick with where they are for now. It's hard enough to get people to leave windows for linux after almost two decades of windows.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:03 pm

SGI did make non-proprietary PCs in the form of the 230, 330, and 550 Visual Workstations (standard VIA/Intel chipsets). As far as I know they had the lower-case SGI logo though, so I guess you're safe on that point.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

qumefox

Unread postby qumefox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 pm

I'm not sure when they switched logos. One of my 320's has the cube on it, the other has the lower case lettering logo.
:O2000R:, :Fuel:, :320: :1600SW:, :320: :1600SW:, :O2: :1600SW:, :Indigo2IMP:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:45 pm

I think they changed it around the time of the Octane.

SGI did make non-proprietary PCs in the form of the 230, 330, and 550 Visual Workstations (standard VIA/Intel chipsets).

You mean those cases could hold ATX boards?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 pm

pentium wrote:I think they changed it around the time of the Octane.

SGI did make non-proprietary PCs in the form of the 230, 330, and 550 Visual Workstations (standard VIA/Intel chipsets).

I mean they have ATX boards - they're bog standard PCs :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:58 pm

pentium wrote:The world ends when we see a non-proprietary PC case with an SGI cube on it.

You mean like this:

http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/xe/

:mrgreen:

SGI already had plenty of vanilla x86 HW, problem is that other than the nifty casing there is nothing of value that SGI can add to their offering. So the answer is that if SGI was to offer a PeeCee, unless the price is competitive there is nothing that would entice most people to play extra for a worthless 3 letter name, no matter how nifty the cube logo may have once been.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:43 pm

So the answer is that if SGI was to offer a PeeCee, unless the price is competitive there is nothing that would entice most people to play extra for a worthless 3 letter name, no matter how nifty the cube logo may have once been.

First thing that comes to mind is:

Image VS. Image
-----------SGI---------------------------------Alienware-----------

....but then again I do have a few screws loose.

clavileno

Unread postby clavileno » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:16 pm

nekonoko wrote:
pentium wrote:I think they changed it around the time of the Octane.

I mean they have ATX boards - they're bog standard PCs :)

Just to clarify the confusion, these are non-proprietary, using custom SGI mobos with a rather bespoke architecture:

320, 540

These are just bog-standard ATX mobos:

230, 330, 550

The thing to try to keep hold off is the question "what is an SGI for?". For the last 20 years it has been about being able to solve the toughest problems "today" as opposed to in 2-3 years when bog-standard stuff will do it. The 320 and 540, if launched on time, would have done this in the PC space; the Altixes etc do this now in the server space.

Desktop graphics are no longer tough problems for most applications. The problem as I see it is that nobody is really trying to solve such (comparatively) challenging problems on the desktop any longer, certainly not in the volumes required to make an investment in a desktop machine (of any flavour) worthwhile for SGI. Fast PCs with good graphics are the norm now, and all for just a few hundred dollars.

IMHO the clever money would nowadays be on trying to improve performance per cubic foot, performance per killowat hour and performance per killowat heat output. Real estate is expensive, energy is expensive, HVAC is expensive, the planet's resources are dwindling. Ever-faster networking makes remote displays quite feasible for many tasks, graphics heads can be just terminals (which is, of course, where SGI started), architectures like SunRay allow the user to pick-and-choose different platforms to run different applications on a "common" desktop, and so on.

So, sadly perhaps, I don't see any new SGI workstations coming along, but I think I'm quite glad about that for the future of SGI.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:06 am

clavileno wrote:Desktop graphics are no longer tough problems for most applications.

We could use about a 50x speed up for our real-time hardware-in-the-loop development.

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:44 am

>We could use about a 50x speed up for our real-time hardware-in-the-loop development.
-What are you using right now then? Still SGI?

AvS

bjames

Unread postby bjames » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:45 am

I feel my point was somewhat miss-interpreted. I wasn't suggesting an SGI should just box up a PC into their pretty case, I was suggesting that they can improve on what is currenly available, improve architecture, write better code to maximize harware performance, increase stability, as was mentioned in the other post use less power and decrease overall foot print. IMHO, I think that there is a ton of room for improvment and innovation in the PC world.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 pm

I feel my point was somewhat miss-interpreted. I wasn't suggesting an SGI should just box up a PC into their pretty case, I was suggesting that they can improve on what is currenly available, improve architecture, write better code to maximize harware performance, increase stability, as was mentioned in the other post use less power and decrease overall foot print. IMHO, I think that there is a ton of room for improvment and innovation in the PC world.

Which was the point of those photos. Alienware is just a flashy brand with a case that's full of regular computer components.
What you are saying is that SGI should follow Alienware (to a degree) and just put high-end PC components into a nice looking case that has "SGI" or the cube on it and load it up with their own flavor of Linux that retains the qualities of Irix but in a Linux OS.

bjames

Unread postby bjames » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:59 pm

pentium wrote:Which was the point of those photos. Alienware is just a flashy brand with a case that's full of regular computer components.
What you are saying is that SGI should follow Alienware (to a degree) and just put high-end PC components into a nice looking case that has "SGI" or the cube on it and load it up with their own flavor of Linux that retains the qualities of Irix but in a Linux OS.

Basically... anyone could throw the least expensive parts together, install the badly written drivers and pack it full of ram and call it a powerful gfx workstation, but what separates that from a great workstation is putting together the 'right' assortmant of high quality parts, maybe develope a better gfx card in cooperation with invidia and have specially written drivers, design a proprietary mother board with improved architecture ect... as a result you may have a "PC" that is clearly different from the rest - Im sure some people would pay extra for that. Of course the amount of $$$ to R&D this may not be feasible...

Alien

Unread postby Alien » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 am

qumefox wrote:I'm not sure when they switched logos. One of my 320's has the cube on it, the other has the lower case lettering logo.

The logo changed in 1999/2000.

Anyone ever seen a VWS 540 with Cube logo? In the flesh, I mean, they're all over the brochures, but I can't recall ever having seen one IRL. And, more importantly, anyone have one and willing to trade skins for a new logo 540's? This is really important to me! :mrgreen:

,xtG
.tsooJ
:Crimson: :Crimson: :O2000: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :320: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
Based on its small physical dimensions and quiet operation, the chassis fits into a normal office environment.
— Crimson Owner's Guide

Return to “SGI: Discussion”