PCI Card Cage at $400 ??

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mk-ultra

PCI Card Cage at $400 ??

Unread postby mk-ultra » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 pm

What kind of crack are ebay sellers smoking?
Does anyone know of a reason why hardware is more expensive than it was 3 years ago?
I bought one from reputable for $150 a couple of years ago. I don't get it. I really don't. I later sold it back on ebay for $90
Oh and why is B&B sgi cleareance on ebay? I looked at their completed items. They managed to sell only a freggin MOUSE.
This stuff is obsolete by SGI's own standards.
Ugh. Forgive me, I needed to vent.

VenomousPinecone

Re: PCI Card Cage at $400 ??

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:50 pm

mk-ultra wrote:What kind of crack are ebay sellers smoking?

It comes free with the "Peoples Temple: Party in a Box" kit. I guess they want to hold onto the items until they are indiscernible piles of silicon. Which is vastly different from mounds of silicone.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:15 pm

A lot of these resellers hoarded parts, and they assumed that if they corner the maker that they will be able to dictate the price.

Unfortunately, the seem to miss the demand part of their supply-demand prince inflation scheme.

I am sure there were/are sensible and reasonable resellers, but some of the stuff I seen priced out there was ridiculous. Hardware for the most part is a shitty investment, and these people must be left with huge inventories that take up space and which are worth less with each passing day. Either they are in denial, or they haven't got the memo...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Hmm, could it possibly be that there are those somewhere in the world willing to pay those prices??? Ian's responded to these sorts of posts several times - not everyone is a poor hobbyist. And with the intelligence and experience some on this board obviously have I'll bet we have some not-so-poor hobbyists right here. And there actually are businesses who will buy off ebay and don't hesitate to pay when its a waste of money to wait.

As far as B&B goes, why question someone's business practices - I could be wrong but I doubt they've sold stock and given the public any reason to be concerned about their profits. Its quite possible that someone who really doesn't want to take a chance with ebay will see their ad for a mouse and buy what they need from B&B's website instead. Maybe they will be stuck with tons outdated hardware and really loose their shirt. Then we can all get what we want for a buck.

If you can't afford it don't buy it. There are still plenty of opportunities to score cheap stuff if you keep your eye out. The ebay police don't have to watch out for your pocketbook. They're busy enough ignoring complaints.

Sorry but I'm venting too.

Damn those people still hording Tezros! Don't they know there are faster PCs out there?!? HDTV is just a fad anyway.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:34 pm

If you can afford the big $$$ for a production environment, chances are that you are not wasting your time browsing through e-bay and will have a maintenance contract with SGI.

A $400.00 for a used PCI cage with no guarantee to speak of is a rip off. It is the prerogative of the seller to ask whatever price they want. We can also vote with out wallets and tell them to go pound sand... alas there is always one born every minute.

I have seen idiots on e-bay who end paying more for an used previous model of a laptop for example, than what it cost the current model (higher specs on everything) new and under warranty to boot.

I am actually pissed I gave all my Amiga stuff away, looking at the prices some idiots are willing to pay for them...
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:45 pm

R-ten-K wrote:I am actually pissed I gave all my Amiga stuff away, looking at the prices some idiots are willing to pay for them...

You can still find Amiga stuff cheap - as you mentioned, eBay is overpriced for lots of things. I've seen loaded Amiga systems on craigslist go for as low as $10 as recently as last month. I myself picked up both a loaded A4000 and A2000 (including Toasters and various video boards) for peanuts, though I may try selling the A2000 on eBay ;)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm

Yeah, the Amiga on eBay is a weird phenomenon.

A buddy of mine sold his 603 PPC upgrade board, he ended up fetching more money for that POS than he had paid for it when he bought it new originally.

He basically explained me how the Amiga market works: Every now and then Amiga, Inc. makes some sort of claim about the release date of their new AmigaOS. I think the last claim was supposed to have placed the new AmigaOS on shelves right about now. Anyhow, whenever the new AmigaOS is supposed to hit the streets (and this is an OS that was supposed to have came out in 1999, so we are talking 8+ yrs of delay, and people still wait for it... so now I sort of understand how religions get started)... The Amiga fanboys get all giddy and excited, surelly now their OS will take over the earth and to do so they new to upgrade their systems, and hoard enough parts that when the true messiah returns... they have enough parts to prove their loyalty. So I am sure, you can plot the cycles of insane bidding on Amiga HW on eBay and correlate it with Amiga, Inc's announcements.

As I said, the Amiga folk are a breed of their own...

I am actually excited to see where the AROS peeps go with their project.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Just to give a case in point regarding the state of affairs of the Amiga on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-Amiga-400 ... dZViewItem

Actually for those $500, probably you can purchase a multi-Ghz dual core machine that can run an emulated Amiga at orders of magnitude faster than the 25Mhz 040 in the 4000. And with better emulated sound and high resolution graphics over the original AGA to boot...

I love vintage stuff, mostly due to the fuzzy feeling I get when revisiting machines that played an important part in my development as a computer professional. But come on, I am actually trying to figure out what is the stuff that some of these dudes are smoking...

Alas, free market is a bitch sometimes I guess :-) As long as some poor sap is willing to pay top $$$ for that, why not?

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Ian Mapleson's posts here on dealer prices are worth a read. Companies are willing to pay a premium to keep their SGI gear going, for a variety of reasons. And they are paying for things like immediate availability, fast shipping, thorough testing, warranty. Ian occasionally posts some of the going rates for some of the stuff he sells. If you look at them, you'll see that businesses who are willing to hold stock and wait patiently for a buyer can effectively name their price.

Only about a year ago, the going rate for an SGI Challenge C8-EPLEX (8 port ethernet) was in the thousands.

Computer companies themselves aren't that different. About 10 years ago, a 4Gb drive in a critical production server where I was working failed. The cost of a replacement drive from HP? about £5000. But they had it on hand, and were over to install it an hour later. Management was happy to pay - the cost of downtime per hour was about the same as that of the drive.

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:37 pm

R-ten-K wrote:If you can afford the big $$$ for a production environment, chances are that you are not wasting your time browsing through e-bay and will have a maintenance contract with SGI.

A $400.00 for a used PCI cage with no guarantee to speak of is a rip off.

QFT.

kramlq wrote:Ian Mapleson's posts here on dealer prices are worth a read. Companies are willing to pay a premium to keep their SGI gear going, for a variety of reasons. And they are paying for things like immediate availability, fast shipping, thorough testing, warranty.

Right, but we arent talking about Ian or HP. We are talking about ebay.

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:00 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:Right, but we arent talking about Ian or HP. We are talking about ebay.

I would have thought it was obvious, but I'll state it more clearly then - those same dealers are pushing up prices by buying the more interesting eBay gear. That is the answer why, to quote the original thread title, you have a "PCI Card Cage at $400".

The HP example was just to explain that companies will happily pay *any* asking price in some circumstances. And conseqently, the dealers can afford to pay a lot more than others when buying in parts.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 pm

So it runs along the lines of "If you you advertise, they will come"?
Makes sense, if you need something fast, you probably won't want to to price comparisons. You would just buy the first one you see. *Link removed*
Personally, I think that the people who pay double (or more) the original price have more money than brains.
Last edited by pentium on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:33 pm

kramlq wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:Right, but we arent talking about Ian or HP. We are talking about ebay.

I would have thought it was obvious, but I'll state it more clearly then - those same dealers are pushing up prices by buying the more interesting eBay gear. That is the answer why, to quote the original thread title, you have a "PCI Card Cage at $400".

The HP example was just to explain that companies will happily pay *any* asking price in some circumstances. And conseqently, the dealers can afford to pay a lot more than others when buying in parts.

Dealers look for fair deals to increase profit margins. I have seen a lot of over priced "interesting ebay gear" without a single bid, from anyone.

No need to explain your HP comment. Self-evident truths need not be stated, lest one sound condescending. :roll:

tillin9
Location: New York, NY / Westport, CT / #mupen64plus on freenode

Unread postby tillin9 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 pm

Card cadges are in demand since some proprietary stuff only works with one and are somewhat rare since no Octane came with them by default. A dual 600 Mhz Octane2 with V12 is also worth a lot more than the going rate of a cage at $300.

Amiga is a whole other ballgame. Amiga faithful are the Flagellants of the computer world. SGI fans have fond memories of IRIX and may spend some time making KDE/ Gnome look like IRIX (actually not that hard given KDE has a built-in SGI/motif theme), but I doubt anyone on these boards will suggest people go out and buy SGIs instead of PCs for general tasks. Some Amiga people have posted rants where they assume if Amiga ever sold new PPC machines all PPC mac users would instantly switch, and other such nonsense. I wish I could find the specific document I remember, but even with all the wild claims of potential users, they only get 1.2 Amiga users at the end, which is somewhat funny.

The only thing Amiga did better than (okay, modern) Linux/ UNIX was startup was fast. Granted the reason Linux startup is slow is mainly since you hardly ever reboot most distros don't ship with one of the Linux parallel init sequences that exist, in favor of the more stable sequential inits. Though the latest daemonize everything trend in Linux GUIs may have reversed this.

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:44 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Dealers look for fair deals to increase profit margins. I have seen a lot of over priced "interesting ebay gear" without a single bid, from anyone.

Yes, but a dealers measure of a fair deal when buying something for resale is probably different to what many people on here might consider a fair deal, hence the thread. Some of it clearly does sell, or the original poster wouldn't be asking for reasons why.

VenomousPinecone wrote:No need to explain your HP comment. Self-evident truths need not be stated, lest one sound condescending. :roll:
Apologies, from what you wrote in your previous post it seemed you missed my point. My mistake perhaps.

@Pentium
Might be a good idea to edit out the link, given the policy here regarding comments on specific eBay sellers.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”