locked/sealed & bolted...

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Arie van Schutterhoef

locked/sealed & bolted...

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 pm

>Caution, flammable Locked for her pleasure
-Which I was more or less the thing I wanted to suggest.
So thanks for that.
In the end I got my answer about the BOXX boxes.
So thanks for that too.
The post also mentions: "the rep we talked with had no clue that SGI was offering core based workstations (which contradicts what we were told a few months ago)."

But before people start responding to this, the question is: is SGI planning to put out core based workstations? The Altix XE are being presented as servers, so this is the confusion.

AvS

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:04 pm

I've cleaned up the old thread so it should be safe to continue on-topic discussion regarding BOXX in there. Sorry it got so out of hand; I've been busy over the holidays.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Its not so clear, in the last 9 months we have gotten the following from our SGI reps:

If you want an SGI workstation, you need a prism
If you want an SGI workstation, wait and you will get a VSS 40
If you want an SGI worktstation, what sgi workstation?

Its a bit of a very mixed message, their website removed anything related to workstations. And it is a bit of a PITA to get a price quote. Does anyone have the same experience?

Things like solaris/linux specific distro support questions take forever to get confirmed too. I assume that a lot of the purchasing patterns follow the same bursty deadline driven as hours,. SGI seems to require months of planning.... In our case, it is: we need this, this and this. Do you have? SGI seems to be: wait a sec, everyone else is a quick 'yes, when do you need it by'

But now we are even more confused. We don't really care about branding, however we do care when it comes to support... who/what/how. The easier the better, and we still don't get that from our sales reps. Which is a shame because their new x86 altix are fairly ideal for the kind of computational density that we need in our case. 16core + built in infiniband at 1U is very attractive. Our business/tech support guys seem to prefer to get single vendor packages. We usually work some nice deals with SUN for server/workstation purchasing waves. SGI offering servers only makes them a bit less attractive... Again, I don't know if we are the common case.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:15 am

>you will get a VSS 40
-Is this a new SGI machine you are referring to?

AvS

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 am

Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:>you will get a VSS 40

AvS

http://www.sgi.com/pdfs/3976.pdf

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 am

nice looking volvo's on page 2 and 4. almost thoguht it was the new V8 S80. but there's a convirtable version!

coooorrection, it's a C70 hardtop convertible.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 pm

-Thanks for that!

Looking at it, it is clearly not a new generation Octane in the making, as far a digital audio workstation is concerned.

Thus, nevermind.

AvS

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:>you will get a VSS 40

AvS

That is correct, looks like it is supposed to be a nice looking generic core workstation. Problem is now the rep does not know anything about them, when a while ago another rep said they were coming.

The new core2 altixen are actually ideal for what we do, and a solution involving a bunch of these machines and the new workstaitons tied together with some sort of cxfs setup would have been fairly attractive. However, it takes SGI too damn long to give us a response or a bid with $$$ numbers, at least with the people we deal with sales and support wise. Does anyone here have a similar experience -in lets saythe last 6/9months-?
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:54 pm

R-ten-K wrote:That is correct, looks like it is supposed to be a nice looking generic core workstation. Problem is now the rep does not know anything about them, when a while ago another rep said they were coming.

wow, sounds like the same old SGI: what products do we sell again?
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

zolotroph

Unread postby zolotroph » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 pm

skywriter wrote:wow, sounds like the same old SGI: what products do we sell again?

No, no, you've got it all wrong... SGI doesn't sell products, they sell solutions.

:wink:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 pm

zolotroph wrote:No, no, you've got it all wrong... SGI doesn't sell products, they sell solutions.

I'm pretty sure that you need to be at least a corporate Vice President to understand why solutions are better than products.
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/g ... bin/ms.cgi
Last edited by josehill on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:39 pm

>a nice looking generic core workstation.
-Pity the pdf Skywriter pointed me too, doesn't contain more specifics
on the hardware.

>a solution involving a bunch of these machines and the new workstaitons tied together with some sort of cxfs setup would have been fairly attractive.
-Similarly like with the Octanes and Origins previously.

>it takes SGI too damn long to give us a response or a bid
-After while you'll get the feeling, of why the hell bother anyway...

For myself, I think it's a pity they left the digital audio-part out of their designs. The in built ADAT of the Octane was quite revolutionary.

AvS

Return to “SGI: Discussion”