unlabeled freeware cds

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
andikas

unlabeled freeware cds

Unread postby andikas » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:21 am

I created a set of the sgi freeware cds, downloading the packages
from sgi.com and creating iso-images with mkisofs ( including the parameter for creating cds with rockridge extensions ) and burning everything with cdrecord.
I also specified the parameter for the label of the cds. However irix doesn't recognize this label since feeding the cds into swmgr causes the program to ask for insert cd --unlabeled--, whenever a cd has to be inserted, which is quite anoying when installing software from 7 cds :? (overlays + freeware)
Can anyone give me directions on this ?
Thanks,

andikas

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:52 am

I *THINK* that SGI's CDs are actually using EFS, NOT the standard ISO9660...

Though regardless, I don't know why they wouldn't get the CD label right still...

orionpi

Unread postby orionpi » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:24 am

I've noticed that all the SGI CD's have a hidden file named .IM that contains a quick volume description, take a look at your IRIX CD's (6.2 and 6.5 have them) and add the description files.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:43 am

I took a look at the SGI Freeware CDs I got from Ian Mapleson. They all have a file called README which is opened by the Software Manager whenever a new CD is entered, and there is also an empty file called .distribution on the CD as well.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”