SGI Challenge S / Indy Power Supply Resurrection.

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
eatit

SGI Challenge S / Indy Power Supply Resurrection.

Unread postby eatit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:28 am

Quick one: Is there anyone here that has documented repairing the often-failing SGI Indy power supply?

More flavor to the chatter: We all know that these power supplies had a tendency to die since they were new, especially for the Nidec versions and to a lesser extent the newer better designed Sony versions.

And the era of getting a bunch of surplus Indy systems is gone - they have all gone to the scrap metals man.

So, what's a collector to do? Contemplate repairing the parts that are failing for a healthy resurrection. Is there a chance that some intrepid 2010's collector has already gone down this path of repair and has a healthy guide or suggestions?

I cleared out my SGI collection some time back and am due to receive a Challenge S in a number of months. I'll be venturing to repair it, reinstall IRIX 6.5 on a fresh SCSI2SD (version 6?) drive and have a play.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: SGI Challenge S / Indy Power Supply Resurrection.

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not optimistic about the repair the power supply route. Someone here tried to have an Indigo2 power supply repaired was not successful. Although if it's just recapping, it will probably work.

I really wish there was aftermarket replacement power supplies - like how Island Computers sells brand new power supplies for the Alphaserver DS10.
:Octane2: - Algogulf - R14K - 2x600MHZ - 2.5GB RAM - V12 - 6.5.30
:O2: - Mantadoc - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: - Montrealais - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI - 6.5.30

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Krokodil wrote:I'm not optimistic about the repair the power supply route. Someone here tried to have an Indigo2 power supply repaired was not successful. Although if it's just recapping, it will probably work.

I really wish there was aftermarket replacement power supplies - like how Island Computers sells brand new power supplies for the Alphaserver DS10.

I think there are some 1U server PSUs that would fit inside the Indy PSU if it were gutted. We would need to carefully map pins and make sure everything was the right voltage, but I think it might be possible.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm not sure if modern PSUs have enough 5V, but perhaps they would. I found a SFX sized PSU I think will fit for my PC conversion. I haven't had a Sony PSU fail on me yet, but I don't think I have any working Nidec units. I even had units that were working put aside and not work when I pulled them out of storage. If there's some bad caps or anything common I'll be interested.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

eatit

Unread postby eatit » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:37 am

Hmmm, thanks for the thoughts. Would be ideal to keep it as original as reasonably possible.

I also found the following via the legacy (RIP Reputable Systems) Indytech pages:

1- Check the electrolytic capacitor C1(1uF 400V) and the resistor R5, is the most frequent failure in the Nidec power supply.
    2- Check the diode D14 (2 diodes on a TO220 case) and D11, they fail often.

Hmm...... That doesn't sound impossible to try out as an easy start - Thank you Fernando Teixeira wherever you are. :)

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:05 am

japes wrote:I'm not sure if modern PSUs have enough 5V, but perhaps they would. I found a SFX sized PSU I think will fit for my PC conversion. I haven't had a Sony PSU fail on me yet, but I don't think I have any working Nidec units. I even had units that were working put aside and not work when I pulled them out of storage. If there's some bad caps or anything common I'll be interested.

Some might just have more of everything, more 12, more 5, etc. I would think that even if it had a lot of unused other capacities, a PSU intended for a system with many times the power consumption of an Indy would have enough 5v anyway.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:24 pm

eatit wrote:I also found the following via the legacy (RIP Reputable Systems) Indytech pages:

1- Check the electrolytic capacitor C1(1uF 400V) and the resistor R5, is the most frequent failure in the Nidec power supply.
    2- Check the diode D14 (2 diodes on a TO220 case) and D11, they fail often.

As a reminder to the community, we have a mirror of the Reputable site, including the Indytech and SGI monitor pages, here at Nekochan. There is a lot of good info there, if you haven't looked through it before. http://www.nekochan.net/reputable/

Return to “SGI: Hardware”