Upgrading from 6.5.2f to 6.5.16f

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
JAD692003

Unread postby JAD692003 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:17 pm

Ya, i was planning on DL the file again, I got it from SGI's web site. Should i try a older ver? like 6.5.15 instead of 6.5.16. I dont know anyone else with fast dl speeds..it took me 1:55min est.. Do you know other places that are fast..? thanks for your reply..One thing i still dont understand is, I could uncompress it fine on the PC side, but on the IRIX side the files where diffrent sizes, and not complete..OK.I will dl it again. jason

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:34 pm

Is it possible that the files were downloaded as ascii not binary (or transfered to the Indy as ascii, not binary) - that would cause some "brokenness" in the compressed file.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:32 pm

vegac wrote:Is it possible that the files were downloaded as ascii not binary (or transfered to the Indy as ascii, not binary) - that would cause some "brokenness" in the compressed file.

That is very true... I have been subjected to this same thing in the past, and I'll also add that getright takes care of that as well. I beleive it auto detects ASCII from binary and downloads it acordingly.

Not that I am supprting someone using windows at all... :roll:

:D

JAD692003

WORKED

Unread postby JAD692003 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:51 am

OK, so i Downloaded the IRIX 6.5.15 Maintenance Release, It Downloaded Good.Took 1:55 Min, After it was downloaded to my PeeCee, I made sure the FTP Program i was using was set for BINARY not ACSII like you guys said.It copied over to the INDY good. I gunzip it, tar xvf it, IT worked, no errors. Then i proceded to install it "swmgr" about 2 hours later 6.5.15 was BORN..What a releaf. Not sure what might of caused it before, I think combo of instead of BINARY being set it was on AUTO mode, And i was playing around with the file first on the PC. Dunno..DHCP works great, Didnt have to set anything up, and now i can SURF the web..So thanks again your all your ideas, I used them, and they worked. :D ONe question: is there a compiler of any sort installed? i think not. I wanted to install Gimp but i need to compile it and it complains.. If i do need one, any ideas on a good site? thanks.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:23 am

For compiling, you need to have the Dev Foundation and Dev Library CD's that come with the base 6.5 install.

Install those.
Then, you get to install gcc 3.0.4 (NOT 3.2.1 that's on the freeware page becaus eit's for 6.5.18 and up ONLY) from freeware.sgi.com

Then, you get to rm /usr/sbin/gcc (or rename it or something) so the old version that's installed with the Ada compiler doesn't mess with /usr/freeware/bin/gcc

And you're "done"

Or, download gimp (and like 10 other packages) and install Gimp from freeware.

Note: you can usually cut a lot of dependencies from freeware packages by going through customize. I.e. w/ gaim I turned off gnome support (same with xmms) - that saved me a few packages.

Satoru

Back to decompression on PC

Unread postby Satoru » Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:10 am

I' add my 5c as I incurred the same SWMGR crashing problem while updating my Indy to 6.5.14f (6.5.16f was no longer available) :cry:
The swmgr crash is due to the fact that not all the uncompressed and ftped files are binary!
In fact it's necessary to use binary for all the uncompressed files BUT the .idb! (some quickview of the files halped)
Now I use to do in ftp:
prompt
bin
mput *
asc
mput *.idb
And the installation thn works fine...

Bye
Marco/Sat

Return to “SGI: Discussion”