Which SGI box is your favorite and why?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mopar5150

Re: Which SGI box is your favorite and why?

Unread postby mopar5150 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 am

guardian452 wrote:Octane.

The reasons why should be obvious to anybody who's ever used been in the same room as one.

The Octane is the one system that amazes non-SGI people the most. The shear weight, incredible construction and cool shape is something they can't wrap their head around.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:43 am

IMG_0105.JPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:50 am

Dodoid wrote:320 is cool looking, but nothing beats the Prism desktop in terms of appearance. Maybe I'm weird by liking the look of an Itanium SGI more than the older ones, but the Prism is IMO the most SGI-looking SGI product ever designed, perhaps barring the Indy.

Actually, what you really want is a 540, much more physically impressive that the 320. I amassed a number of these units back in 2005 and it's the SGI system I have the most experience with.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:06 am

pauliedweasel wrote:Actually, what you really want is a 540, much more physically impressive that the 320. I amassed a number of these units back in 2005 and it's the SGI system I have the most experience with.

I would love to get my hands on a 540 at some point, but to find one now in the kind of condition that would be acceptable for me would probably be difficult!
Image ... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image Image Image
Image ... Image, Image, Image, Image Image ... Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image
Image ... Image Image Image ... Image Image

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 am

uunix wrote:IMG_0105.JPG

Ah thanks mate, I see you you've set up the dual 600 V12 with DCD for me just ready for collection...how kind of you! :mrgreen: :lol:

Those look in lovely condition, is one of them the "O2" from the ex studio?

My favorites have to be the Indigo2 and O2, followed by the Octane. I love the Indigo 2 for it's awesome looks and internal build quality. O2 for it's cuteness factor and the Octane (original cube logo and then the Octane2) for it's super modular design. Never really went for the later green skins Octane.
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 am

Irinikus wrote:
pauliedweasel wrote:Actually, what you really want is a 540, much more physically impressive that the 320. I amassed a number of these units back in 2005 and it's the SGI system I have the most experience with.

I would love to get my hands on a 540 at some point, but to find one now in the kind of condition that would be acceptable for me would probably be difficult!

Irinikus, I could probably supply you with a nice system if I can ever manage to get over some of the health and physical energy problems I've had over the past few years. I started collecting 540's back in early 2005 while I was working for the Union Pacific Rail Road in Los Angeles. I had already been collecting other SGI machines but was intrigued when I saw the 320/540 series machines pop up on Ebay and I managed to accumulate some twenty plus machines during that time period. We had a rather large shop area with several large work benches that I was able to use to clean up and work on these beasts in my after hours time. I got several units fully loaded up with memory and CPUs and also amassed a large supply of spares units. Also, due to the physical nature of these machines I received numerous machines with various levels of physical damage to the plastics and in the case of one unit all I was able to save was the mother board.
I also got several of the software packages including the CDs for the quad processor units (a rare find). At the end of 2005 I transferred job locations to another shop and was forced to put all these units into storage and due to various job moves and health related issues since that time I haven't had time to dig any of them out and play with them. Now that all our kids are gone and we have a bit more internal space in the house I am making plans to start digging out some of this stuff and go through my massive collection of SGI stuff so as to decide what to keep and what items to bin.
The main problem in sending you a 540 as I have observed would be the physical shipment to Cape Town, at the least I would want to remove and ship the power supply separately since that adds at least a good 12 to 13 pounds of mass as well as possibly removing and shipping separately the plastic skins. Let me see what I can do at this end, it's not going to be quick because of the amount of stuff I have to go through and shipping wise it won't be cheap.
As a final note, I have bought more of these units since I left the UP in '05 and over all I probably have bought between 31 to 33 of these bad boys but as was previously mentioned at least 6 to 7 of these units were physical write offs due to shipping damage, but that still leaves me with a good parts base to work off of, now I just have to find them all. Besides the 540s I have acquired many multiples of just about every desk top unit SGI sold (including three desk side Prism's and an almost like new Indigo) and all this crap has filled up a 10x12 foot shed, a 10x10 foot shed, my daughters old 10x11 foot bed room and a third of my two car garage, so I've got a lot to dig through.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:01 am

pauliedweasel wrote:Irinikus, I could probably supply you with a nice system if I can ever manage to get over some of the health and physical energy problems I've had over the past few years.

I would be interested in one of your 540's as well as a Prism (if you have one in good condition), but I won't be able to take these immediately, as I have just bought the V880 and it cost me a small fortune.
Last edited by Irinikus on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image ... Image
Image ... Image
Image ... Image, Image, Image, Image Image ... Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 pm

in terms of first impressions it's bound to be the purple indigo2. i used one back in uni: a top of the line R10k maximpact with more memory installed than our entire student PC pool at the time (still had softimage bail on me due to insufficient RAM though ;) ) and it had a neat video-IO board, too - hooked up to some betacam (?) recorder/monitor setup.
coming off of homecomputers it was like having an amiga on steroids with the same kind of GUI/command line hybrid workflow.

fast forward a few years i had a maximpact R10k at home for a while as my first personal SGI when you could get them directly off the leasing companies (no scratches on the plastics :) ) but at that point CPU speeds were increasing year on year and the geforce 2 was wiping floors and kicking butts so the indigo2 didn't stick around all that long. never been one to hoard so it had to hit the road again and i moved to octanes.

noticeably faster (i went dual-600 V12 in the end) but can't name those as favourites due to their insane noise levels. had to get a noiseproofed rack to be able to survive the terror. a massive black obelisk next to the desk.

nowadays though i get my unix fix from the mac. great for the ears!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 pm

GIJoe wrote:
noticeably faster (i went dual-600 V12 in the end) but can't name those as favourites due to their insane noise levels. had to get a noiseproofed rack to be able to survive the terror. a massive black obelisk next to the desk.

nowadays though i get my unix fix from the mac. great for the ears!

I ended up inheriting your noisy machine! :mrgreen:

SGI really didn't consider noise when they created their masterpieces! (Especially the long term effect it has on your ears)

People around here will probably hate me for saying it, but I have to admit that my MAC is also my machine of choice these days. (Super quiet and it just works!)
Image ... Image
Image ... Image

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 am

Irinikus wrote:I ended up inheriting your noisy machine! :mrgreen:

SGI really didn't consider noise when they created their masterpieces! (Especially the long term effect it has on your ears!)

rest assured it isn't even a particularly noisy one. my backup dual-400 V8 i had at the time put out the same kind of noise. once i set it to FASTFAN=1 just to see how much worse it could get... ... much, much worse, as it turned out. ;)

turning them off always made me feel strangely relaxed. i suppose in the office you don't notice it so easily with all the background noise but i would really need to keep the box itself in a separate room at home.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:17 am

You must just hear the racket an Onyx2 makes, it's just ridiculous! (The Octane2 is as quiet as a mouse in comparison.)

There's just no logical reason to fit a sound card to such a machine! :D

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of noise that an Origin2000 based supercomputer would have made!
Image ... Image
Image ... Image

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 am

An Onyx2, noisy? Must depend on config. I have a friend who has an Onyx2 and his isn't super loud.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:31 am

Raion-Fox wrote:An Onyx2, noisy? Must depend on config. I have a friend who has an Onyx2 and his isn't super loud.

It's fan tray has 9 large fans in it and they're definitely not the silent type. (Each one of them is at least the size of the fans found inside an Octane.)

I suppose it also depends on what you consider to be loud.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just too loud to realistically be used as a system to watch movies or listen to music on.

When I run mine, I can feel a significant amount of airflow coming out of the bottom of the machine in all directions, and that's at it's governed (normal) fan speed.
Image ... Image
Image ... Image

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am

Of the smaller ones, my favorite is probably the purple Indigo². I wish I had an intact one.
Second comes the Indy.
Third is the Fuel.

As for desksides, Onyx/Onyx2 look the best IMHO. Eyeballing an Onyx2, though it's a bit abused and quite far from me, pickup is the only issue now.
:Indy: R5000@180MHz, 256MB, XL-24, IndyCam
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

jcs

Unread postby jcs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Home? My Octane and maybe my Indy (my Indy was my first UNIX box at work back in the day).

Work? SGI ICE X Not a "real" SGI, but a very well made system and very fast.
:Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :A3000R:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”