WTB: Powerbook G4, 12in / 1.5GHz

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
WolvesOfTheNight

WTB: Powerbook G4, 12in / 1.5GHz

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

I am looking for a 12in 1.5GHz Powerbook G4. At the moment I am willing to pay between $100 and $200, depending on condition and specs. Fully working is preferable, though I would also consider one with a bad logic board and/or hard drive if the price is under $100. I don't need much in the way of extras.
-WolvesOfTheNight

itsvince725

Re: WTB: Powerbook G4, 12in / 1.5GHz

Unread postby itsvince725 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I have one that's working but doesn't save PRAM settings for whatever reason. I've got a charger and two extra batteries for it.
:Indigo2: :Indy:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

itsvince725 wrote:I have one that's working but doesn't save PRAM settings for whatever reason. I've got a charger and two extra batteries for it.

That's a PRAM battery failure and can easily be fixed.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.cc

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:
itsvince725 wrote:I have one that's working but doesn't save PRAM settings for whatever reason. I've got a charger and two extra batteries for it.

That's a PRAM battery failure and can easily be fixed.

The 12" PowerBook G4 doesn't actually have a PRAM battery. It has a small, 0.022 F, 5.5 V capacitor that normally stores enough juice to retain PRAM settings for short periods of time, e.g. the time it takes to swap the main battery. However, if the PowerBook is unplugged and the main battery drains, then PRAM settings will be lost pretty quickly. This is true for all iBook models, as well.

The easiest solutions are to keep the PowerBook plugged in or to keep a charged battery in the PowerBook. If the capacitor no longer can store enough power to retain PRAM while swapping batteries, you could try replacing the capacitor, but it will require some soldering skills.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 am

Those 'super caps' don't exactly last forever. My surround receiver in the living room has one and every time we'd go away for more than a few days it would loose all FM presets and other settings. I replaced it and it survived the summer holidays just fine.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 am

If you ever get the PowerBook, I have working parts (since I accidentally ruined the display connector of the mobo of mine, and decided instead to get a 15-inch), and if you are on the path of doing a restoration:
I have a Bluetooth 2.0 module, optical drive, 1GB RAM stick, the modem, a Second Skin cover and a few other things, can be yours for cost of shipping.
ImageImage

ScutBoy
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ScutBoy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 am

Too bad - I just sold a nice one with your specs for $50.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 am

Yeah, I'm looking to sell mine because I'd rather have a 15 inch...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

WolvesOfTheNight

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am

itsvince725 - PM sent
Shiunbird - I might be interested once I have a replacement powerbook in hand. I will let you know. Thanks!
-WolvesOfTheNight

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 am

itsvince725 wrote:Yeah, I'm looking to sell mine because I'd rather have a 15 inch...

I still want to get a 12-inch to be my carry-everywhere computer, but it's getting harder and harder to find one in decent shape. A friend of mine had a pristine one, he bought it new and used to babysit it better than he babysits his actual child, but I didn't have the money at the time.

WolvesOfTheNight wrote:Shiunbird - I might be interested once I have a replacement powerbook in hand. I will let you know. Thanks!

Anytime. =)
ImageImage

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:34 pm

I have a working one that is dinged and scratched and beat to hell, but is otherwise fully functional aside from cosmetic issues. If that would be of potential interest to you, let me know. There were a bunch of them dropped off at my scrapyard job from a local church, they were using them till recently, i think the stack of them are still there, but they are probably all in the same or worse condition. I can look this Saturday and see. There were a bunch of very early intel mac laptops there too, that use the magnetic charger, complete,in parts / repair condition, if those would be of interest to people too i can look into getting them shipped.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

WolvesOfTheNight

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:08 pm

MrBill - Thanks for the offer, it is tempting, but I will wait and see how the one from itsvince725 does. Refurbishing an old pile of Macs is also tempting, but the truth is that I have more important things to do with my time. Now, if you see an original Macintosh Portable, I am interested.
-WolvesOfTheNight

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm

not quite a mac portable. but i did get a guy on the phone that sold me a couple mac "monitors" which turned out to be a working mac 512 and mac plus. sadly he never came back with the oddball keyboard, his goofy wife took it trying to plug it into a modern mac. like, it wont even match ascetically, yet alone electronically.

I have a stack of mac se's i have not bothered to get fixed. I wanted to get them set up as a midi machine to drive some midi equipment. The machines run, ive had trouble finding the serial to midi adapter and the correct software that will work with machines so old. If those are of interest, let me know. heads up, all the floppy drives are jammed up garbage. I plug in external scsi drives and do away with the floppys.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

rooprob

Unread postby rooprob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm

If you didn’t know Adobe released CS2 for free on 10.4, which was all G4 vintage of course.

Apparently they couldn’t keep their license server running or justify its operations for a vanishingly small user base. See their web for the license key and download.

Of course I’m keeping a G4 in service as a CS2 machine. Linked to my trusty 1920x1200 display, it’s fairly nice for the image processing. A Crucial IDE SSD replaced the spinning rust circa 2012, but only 1GB of ram since the lower memory slot debacle.

Eventually will replace with the i7 Air, but that’s for the kids Netflix.
:O2: r12 400 mapleleaf :Indigo2IMP: r10 195 IRIS :Cube: NeXT
New Zealand

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Floppy drives are easily cleaned. Usually it is just the grease on the worm gears that has dried out and turned to glue. Clean that off with some acetone, dab some fresh grease, and hey presto.

MrBill wrote:I wanted to get them set up as a midi machine to drive some midi equipment. The machines run, ive had trouble finding the serial to midi adapter and the correct software that will work with machines so old.

The MIDI adapters are not hard to find. This one took about a minute. For software, you need Apple MIDI Manager, and preferably MOTU FreeMIDI or Opcode OMS. Then you can use the software like Performer, Galaxy, Vision, Sibelius, etc.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Hardware Wanted”