TEZRO WANTED please

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: TEZRO WANTED please

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

opcode wrote:I have been running my Tezro and the thing is just so loud. I swear I can deal with the Onyx2 noise better than the Tezro. It is so bad, I have pulled my dcd v12 Octane2 back out to use on my desktop. Loud fans have never really bothered me before the Tezro.

I guess I just don't see it being loud.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm

I fired up the onyx2 upstairs with the tezro in the basement. The Onyx2 has a ambient hum fan noise that I kind of like. It reminds me of that loop sound of the enterprise D from Star Trek tng. The tezro just sounds annoying. I’m not saying don’t buy a Tezro, I’m just saying be prepared to for the fan noise.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

Darkhelmet2002

Unread postby Darkhelmet2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 am

opcode, does your Tezro have a bad fan? Maybe a bearing is bad in one of them, and that's why it's worse than an Onyx2?
:Octane: - Sparcstation IPC - Sun Blade 2500 - a bunch of x86 stuff

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 am

The Tezro has a high pitch fan noise, which can be quite annoying. The Onyx2 although also loud, has a lower pitch fan noise, which isn't as irritating.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Darkhelmet2002

Unread postby Darkhelmet2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 am

I gotcha. I guess I just expected it to be the other way around.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am

Darkhelmet2002 wrote:I gotcha. I guess I just expected it to be the other way around.

The Onyx2 makes use of 9 fairly large fans situated in a fan-tray, and the standard (non-quad 1GHz) Tezro has 9 fans inside it of varying sizes, if you include the fan inside the power supply. (This creates a high pitch noise.)

IMG_2857 copy.jpg

IMG_2856 copy.jpg

Onyx2 fan-tray:

onyx2-fan-2200.jpg
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 am

And then there's the single blower found in the bottom of the Onyx1/Challenge:
onyx_blower.jpg

Not quiet but very tolerable. A somewhat mechanical humming noise, for as long as it doesn't go into 'fastfan' mode at least.

It would probably shred anything that accidentally fell in. Including your fingers :oops:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

jan-jaap wrote:Not quiet but very tolerable. A somewhat mechanical humming noise, for as long as it doesn't go into 'fastfan' mode at least.

It would probably shred anything that accidentally fell in. Including your fingers :oops:

I wonder why SGI moved away from centrifugal blowers such as this in their large machines, as I'm sure that they're generally quieter than axial type fans? They also tend to move lots of air. (Modern GPU's tend to make use of them.)
Image ... Image

Darkhelmet2002

Unread postby Darkhelmet2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am

Could it be because of power consumption that might have moved SGI away from the large fans? It seems like the smaller fans in the tray in the Onyx2 might use less electricity than the big blower fan in the Onyx1

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 pm

jan-jaap wrote:Not quiet but very tolerable. A somewhat mechanical humming noise, for as long as it doesn't go into 'fastfan' mode at least.

There is also the OLS, which is almost as loud, but equally low. The Onyx makes a lot of noise, but I don't find it that bad. I find the Onyx actually less annoying than a lot of their workstations, and especially less annoying than, say, a modern 2U server.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:15 pm

opcode wrote:I have been running my Tezro and the thing is just so loud. I swear I can deal with the Onyx2 noise better than the Tezro. It is so bad, I have pulled my dcd v12 Octane2 back out to use on my desktop. Loud fans have never really bothered me before the Tezro.

I find my octane2 with all XIO slots filled running in fanfast mode to be pretty loud - just as annoying as my Tezro - but the jokes on them since I'm half deaf anyway

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 pm

The Onyx2 is ridiculous when it runs in fastfan mode! (Still a rather low-pitch noise, but loud) It would be difficult to use the machine for anything productive, while sitting in the same room, with it running in fastfan mode.

It's a very cool machine though and it's built like a tank. (It's a "big Octane2")
Image ... Image

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm moving back to an O2 because of the noise (think I'm getting old), but mopar is definitely the best person to ask atm if one is looking for a Tezro, his prices are great and his packaging is very good.

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Return to “Hardware Wanted”