Want a SGI workstation for really cheap (<50€) or free

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Str11kernaut

Want a SGI workstation for really cheap (<50€) or free

Unread postby Str11kernaut » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am

Hi, i'm Str1kernaut.
From 1/2 months i started get interested about SGI workstations, but unfortunally here in Italy or in Sardinia i didn't found anything. On eBay i found only a Indigo2, a Indy and a Tezro, but they're overpriced for me. On the german eBay i found an Octane for 180€, but i don't know if the seller can deliver it to Italy with cheap delivery costs. Anyways i don't want to spend too much (better if i have to pay only the delivery), so if you have a old SGI workstation that you don't need or you don't use i will be very happy to have one in my hands. Also i have a question: in case the video port is the DB13W3, could work with a DB13W3 to VGA converter on AOC G2260VWQ6 or i'm forced to use a sync-on-green monitor that i don't have? Thanks
Unfortunally i did an error while registring, so my real username it's "Str1kernaut".
BTW i'm an ICT student (2° year at ITIS Scano). Since i was 8 years old i developed an interest for ICT, and since i was 2 years old i've got an interest for technology (I've got a photo when i was 2 years old with a pair of headphones).
I built my first gaming pc with new parts at July 2017: Ryzen 5 1400, 2x4GB Corsair 3000mhz, R7 360 2GB (bought from a friend), Corsair CX 450M, AsRock AB350M Pro4.
In these months i developed an interest to workstations, in particular SGI.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: Want a SGI workstation for really cheap (<50€) or free

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:53 pm

You're not going to find much for that budget. I mean you may find something but it may be inoperative, without much expanded memory or lacking the proprietary keyboard or mouse if it is older.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Mr Fox is correct, and even if you do get something free-ish, these things cost a lot of up-keep money regardless.

There was this guy in Italy.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm

He is in Italy.

They also generally cost allot to ship around if they're not local due to their weight and special packaging requirements. (brittle plastics etc.)
Image................. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image; Image...... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image;
Image Image; Image........... Image; Image... ImageImage Image.... Here they are: :arrow:

Str11kernaut

Unread postby Str11kernaut » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 am

Also find this kind of workstations in Italy it's really hard or nearly impossible. Will be nice have at least an Indy, or if i can have one a O2, a Fuel or an Octane
Unfortunally i did an error while registring, so my real username it's "Str1kernaut".
BTW i'm an ICT student (2° year at ITIS Scano). Since i was 8 years old i developed an interest for ICT, and since i was 2 years old i've got an interest for technology (I've got a photo when i was 2 years old with a pair of headphones).
I built my first gaming pc with new parts at July 2017: Ryzen 5 1400, 2x4GB Corsair 3000mhz, R7 360 2GB (bought from a friend), Corsair CX 450M, AsRock AB350M Pro4.
In these months i developed an interest to workstations, in particular SGI.

Str1kernaut

Unread postby Str1kernaut » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 am

I changed account 'cause i registered with a wrong nickname, so this is my new official account
(Now the nickname it's correct)
I'm an ICT student (2° year at ITIS Scano). Since i was 8 years old i've got an interest for ICT, and since i was 2 years old i've got an interest for technology (I've got a photo when i was 2 years old with a pair of headphones).
In these months i developed an interest for workstations, in particular SGI (thanks Dodoid, you channel is awesome :D)

Str1kernaut

Unread postby Str1kernaut » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am

I have a question: is true the Indy is the easiest and cheapest SGI workstation to find? If so, i will be really excited to have one
I'm an ICT student (2° year at ITIS Scano). Since i was 8 years old i've got an interest for ICT, and since i was 2 years old i've got an interest for technology (I've got a photo when i was 2 years old with a pair of headphones).
In these months i developed an interest for workstations, in particular SGI (thanks Dodoid, you channel is awesome :D)

Str1kernaut

Unread postby Str1kernaut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:14 am

Update: i don't have anymore an high budget for my pockets, so the maximum i could spend is 40-50€ and i know there aren't any Indys nor O2s for that price. Where can i find one even for free? I read of people giving them for free, but i'm not lucky 'cause i live in Italy and the easiest non x86 system to find is the PowerMac series (i've got this friend that he will buy a Powermac G4 near Elmas, but i'm not interested about Apple computers...)

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am

Well, shipping from USA to Italy is very expensive. SGI was based in the USA, so more were sold there. You may want to try German or Dutch marketplaces or local listings, you may have better luck in neighboring countries. Surely a train ticket to pick one up wouldn't be so bad.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 am

In short, you either wait (whilst keeping your eyes open) and hope to get lucky, try and pick up a broken system for peanuts and hope to repair it cheaply, or do some digging around by speaking to recycling firms on the off-chance that they get something in that they're happy to offload cheaply (or for free).

Maybe someone around Italy with a few SGIs will decide to get rid of them by giving away lower-spec systems (I've done this myself with a couple of low-spec Indys in the UK before now), and others on here have sometimes downsized by giving away systems to new homes. However, you're down to pure luck here I'm afraid. If you were in the UK, USA or Netherlands, a friendly member here might give you a starting system for free, but we don't have that many members in Italy with large stocks of machines that I'm aware of, and postage there is unlikely to be cheap.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Str1kernaut

Unread postby Str1kernaut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am

Raion-Fox wrote:Well, shipping from USA to Italy is very expensive.

"Italy is treated as a country of scammers, this is why delivery is pricey" (cit. my jym teacher, the day i was trying to get from UK a SGI Indigo and a Indy for really cheap without success)
Trippynet wrote:In short, you either wait (whilst keeping your eyes open) and hope to get lucky, try and pick up a broken system for peanuts and hope to repair it cheaply, or do some digging around by speaking to recycling firms on the off-chance that they get something in that they're happy to offload cheaply (or for free).

Maybe someone around Italy with a few SGIs will decide to get rid of them by giving away lower-spec systems (I've done this myself with a couple of low-spec Indys in the UK before now), and others on here have sometimes downsized by giving away systems to new homes. However, you're down to pure luck here I'm afraid. If you were in the UK, USA or Netherlands, a friendly member here might give you a starting system for free, but we don't have that many members in Italy with large stocks of machines that I'm aware of, and postage there is unlikely to be cheap.

This 'cause in Italy are more common PowerMacs (hew, i don't like Apple PCs) and X86 machines (i could get a Pentium 2, Pentium 3, A64, Athlon XP for free or for really cheap like ~20€). I've tried almost any kind of x86 PC (Pentium 4, Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, A64 X2, Ryzen, Intel Core 2 Duo, C2 Quad, Haswell), i should try something new and a bit unusual.
BTW i'm looking more for an O2, or at least an Indy or a Fuel, 'cause if i plug an Octane my parents will not be really happy to pay a more expensive power bill, also i don't have enought space under the desk for an Octane

Return to “Hardware Wanted”