WTB Sun Sparcstation ELC, LX, 1000e (US/East)

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
chronos

WTB Sun Sparcstation ELC, LX, 1000e (US/East)

Unread postby chronos » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Looking for an ELC - regret recycling mine 10+ years ago :/

Added LX and 1000e to the list just in case someone out there has one. Heck if you have a 32 bit sun of some kind, just hit me up but the ELC is the one on my radar right now.

Happy to buy and pay for shipping, I also have some sun 32 and 64bit systems to trade for folks who are (semi) local.

Any condition - if it needs repairs or a new mobo I can tackle that. Just let me know.

thanks!

leaknoil

Re: WTB Sun Sparcstation ELC, LX, 1000e (US/East)

Unread postby leaknoil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 pm

The ELC had a terrible habit of cooking themselves. Back when they were brand new they were dying left and right. It has been many a year since I've seen a working one.

Some 1000e have survived but, they seriously are some of the heaviest computers for their size ever made. Pretty much can't be shipped. You'll need to find a local one or not at all.

chronos

Unread postby chronos » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:54 pm

leaknoil thanks for the reply - yeah passive cooling didn't really do the job on those machines, but I figured I'd put a beacon out in case someone has one - it won't be a daily driver and I can (try) to repair it.

Definitely let me know out there if someone has an LX, thanks!

cb88

Unread postby cb88 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:28 pm

The 1000e seem to have a problem with cooked caps in thier power supplies also.

I have 3 SS1000(E) and only one of them would sort of boot when I got it... going work on one of them this weekend. I drove all night after work one friday and picked them up... at least the drive was scenic!

I have a nice little LX that Steve Rickli gave me for shipping. So they are out there just keep your eyes peeled!

Other things to look for are Sparcbooks , SparcPlugs (A PC case with an integrated Sparc Workstation some also had x86 workstations built in, the one I have has a giant hole cut in the top for a fan... apparently coolling was not adequate stock). I'm still hoping someone will send an AG10E my way... :/ they used to be a dime a dozen a few years ago.

I don't have an example of a TurboSparc that would be nice to have someday.

Return to “Hardware Wanted”