WTB(UK/Europe): Indy or O2

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mfny

WTB(UK/Europe): Indy or O2

Unread postby mfny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 am

Hi all,

Looking for ether an Indy or an O2, located in the UK or Europe.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: WTB(UK/Europe): Indy or O2

Unread postby uunix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

I have plenty.. where are you located?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

mfny

Unread postby mfny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Isle of Man

uunix wrote:I have plenty.. where are you located?

mfny

Unread postby mfny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 am

uunix wrote:I have plenty..

What do you have exactly ?

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 am

A bit about myself..
I've probably sold about 2 things in my SGI life, and never posted anything larger than a book. I have a horde of stuff that just keeps growing.

So, what I am saying is that unless you are willing to come get the stuff, then basically it stays where its.

Saying that, what do I have,
About 4 Indy's of varying state/configuration (all work), they all have cameras, but 2 have no Hard disk. The ones with no disks do work I just robbed the disks out for my Indigo.
About 7 or 8 o2, again of varying state/Configuration. One is currently booted up supplying a video feed to a discreet system via AV2.

PS I hope that didn't come across as rude or blunt, but I don't like posting things.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:23 am

Posting things like an Indy isn't super hard. Have you consider, uunix, using a local pack and ship place? They're usually pretty reasonable here across the Atlantic. Because when it's all said and done for the OP to take a ferry to Liverpool then drive to your area and back he's going to be paying at least 300GBP for fuel, ferry and such when it's all said and done. Much better if you just seek out a local pack and ship company and have them take care of the packing. Just make sure they use styrene foam around the heavier items, but Indys are pretty hardy in my experience and don't require a hell of a lot of packaging.

mfny, failing that, check out http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/ Ian Mapleson always usually has something good in stock.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 am

Raion-Fox wrote:Posting things like an Indy isn't super hard. Have you consider, uunix, using a local pack and ship place? They're usually pretty reasonable here across the Atlantic. Because when it's all said and done for the OP to take a ferry to Liverpool then drive to your area and back he's going to be paying at least 300GBP for fuel, ferry and such when it's all said and done. Much better if you just seek out a local pack and ship company and have them take care of the packing. Just make sure they use styrene foam around the heavier items, but Indys are pretty hardy in my experience and don't require a hell of a lot of packaging.

mfny, failing that, check out http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/ Ian Mapleson always usually has something good in stock.

I'm not keen on riding motor cycles Mr Fox.. hence I don't do it. Same applies to posting things.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 am

Alright but I was saying that not doing it does incur some hefty expenses onto mfny (unless there's a cheaper way to get from Isle of Man to the West Midlands (Off topic but do people in Stourbridge talk like Birmingham'ers?) than by the Douglas-Liverpool ferry). I understand your personal apprehension towards both activities though, as I used to own a motorcycle and drive a Miata, which is barely bigger than an MG B and I've had things arrive mangled from our postal service which seems thoroughly staffed by gorillas who think throwing is an acceptable handling technique.

Again, for OP he may still take you up if he times it with some other reason to visit the mainland, but for the 300+ GBP trip just to pick up some hardware that's worth less than 100GBP usually is a little hard to swallow, at least for a guy like me whose value-minded.

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:55 am

uunix wrote:So, what I am saying is that unless you are willing to come get the stuff, then basically it stays where its.

LOL :lol:
Last edited by Y888099 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:Alright but I was saying that not doing it does incur some hefty expenses onto mfny (unless there's a cheaper way to get from Isle of Man to the West Midlands (Off topic but do people in Stourbridge talk like Birmingham'ers?) than by the Douglas-Liverpool ferry). I understand your personal apprehension towards both activities though, as I used to own a motorcycle and drive a Miata, which is barely bigger than an MG B and I've had things arrive mangled from our postal service which seems thoroughly staffed by gorillas who think throwing is an acceptable handling technique.

Again, for OP he may still take you up if he times it with some other reason to visit the mainland, but for the 300+ GBP trip just to pick up some hardware that's worth less than 100GBP usually is a little hard to swallow, at least for a guy like me whose value-minded.

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here, it is my big dislike (along side DIY), I don't like it and actually I'm never really keen on selling stuff if the truth be known. I like my horde.

I posted a set of manuals to a guy in the US a few years back, it took me 6 months to get round to it, he just paid the postage and I was OK with that, I did the chap a great favour as he'd been searching for years for these manuals. I'm not a seller and it just becomes a pain in the bottom for me.
I've travelled hundreds of miles around the UK collecting my bits and pieces, which I know everyone can't do, but such is life, and for a hundred pound INDY.. well, I'd rather keep it.

BUT.. If the OP is desperate and can't find an alternative, I will post, but I'd need to find an angry 'smilies'

People in Stourbridge have never really talked liked the Birmingham people, they are 'black country' which is a language un-to itself and coming from Birmingham myself, I still, after living here for many many years find it hard sometimes to understand them. Black Country people even have their own flag.. It does amaze me though living in the midlands, which compared to the size of a country is pretty small, just how many dialects we have, travel 10 Miles to Wolverhampton and again, you have no idea what they are saying.

My father in-law speaks very broad black country, and sometimes I hear my two children (5 & 3) repeating sentences like.. " I COR SEE THA TELLY!". I don't, and neither does my Wife strangely as she was born and bread here.

Mr Fox, with your reference to our beloved MGB (possibly one car I have loved yet never owned), you sound like you have lived in the UK at some point?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 pm

My Miata is a Japanese sports car based on the MG B in many ways. I've never owned an actual MG B, but I'd love to. If you look at weight, engine and other aspects the Miata is clearly a Japanese MG B.

No, I've not lived in the UK but I grew up with British neighbors (Brits on one side, Jews across the street and New Yorkers on the other side) and I've a respect for British culture despite being more Portuguese-Spanish than English (My great great grandmother on my father's mother's side was British but other than that I'm mostly non British). Growing up with British Neighbors I developed a strong respect for British television and I know a fair amount of British culture as a result of the interaction I had with that family and their children. I do intend to visit the United Kingdom at some point but currently I have Japan and a return trip to China on my to do list.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:37 am

Well, if you do make it over here, let us know, I'm sure there are a few in the UK that would meet up for some beers somewhere.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am

I kindly appreciate the offer. I enjoy a good pint and fish and chips on occasion, also enjoy a good tikka masala. Kabob is good late night when you're inebriated and everything tastes amazing.

I'm familiar with that much about English food at least haha.

I think we derailed Mr mfny's thread, sorry about that

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:40 am

@mfny
Forget about trying to make it to Sourbridge or anywhere on the UK mainland yourself unless it coincides with a trip you had already planned. As Raion-Fox mentions, travelling to the UK mainland via car for a collection is probably a false economy when you factor in travel costs, time etc.

If nobody else on here has something suitable that they are willing to ship, just wait for something to show up on eBay UK/DE where shipping is offered. I've had great experiences using private sellers on eBay Germany - they typically know about what they are selling, often offer shipping abroad, and will pack it accordingly, and the shipping cost is quite reasonable as well. Based on what uunix is saying, he fails on at least two of those counts :D :D

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:27 am

kramlq wrote:I've had great experiences using private sellers on eBay Germany - they typically know about what they are selling, often offer shipping abroad, and will pack it accordingly, and the shipping cost is quite reasonable as well.

Same here. Whenever I think of getting something from eBay, I go to ebay.de first and have a look over there. Everything I've purchased from Germany or Austria arrived extremely clean and well packed, from 500g to 30kg.
ImageImage

Return to “Hardware Wanted”