WTB: Sun keyboard / mouse for a SparcStation 5 (UK preferably)

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jebmayers

WTB: Sun keyboard / mouse for a SparcStation 5 (UK preferably)

Unread postby jebmayers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 am

Hi All,

I nabbed a couple of Sun Sparcstation 5's from ebay - mainly as we used them at Uni back in the day so I wanted a bit of a nostalgia hit.

Has anyone got a compatible keyboard / mouse they would be willing to sell? I think I need a Type 4 or Type 5. Either that or a converter so I can use a PS/2 KVM switch.

Cheers,

Jeb

Y888099

Re: WTB: Sun keyboard / mouse for a SparcStation 5 (UK preferably)

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 am

jebmayers wrote:I need a Type 4 or Type 5

what does Type 4-5 mean?
what is the difference with a common PC keyboard?
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:53 am

Different types of Sun Keyboards - for example Type 7 Keyboards use standard USB. Type 4 and Type 5 keyboards use a PS/2 style connector but the protocol is just a simple serial transfer (I think?) and also provides the mouse input.

I seem to remember that the LEDs on the keyboard (Caps, Num, etc) were also used to communicate hardware errors - so while a Type 4 will work on a machine that came with a Type 5, it may not display diagnostic results accurately for that machine. That came from a distant part of my mind though, so not sure how accurate that is!

Jeb

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm

The Sun Type 4 and Type 5 keyboards were the models available with SparcStations. They have two MiniDIN-8 sockets on either side, both capable of connecting to the host computer or to a compatible Sun mouse. This is the same concept as the SGI Indigo keyboard, but all of the details are different and they are obviously not compatible. The 8-pin connection was new, but the electrical protocol was the same as the earlier Type 3 used with Sun 3 systems, and Sun provided adapters in both directions.

The Type 4 has a mushy Keytronics foam and foil keybed, while the Type 5 has a membrane with rubber domes.
In the Type 4, the status LEDs are in a separate row near the top edge; the Type 5 locates them inside the respective key caps, but they work identically for diagnostic purposes. Sun switched back to separate LEDs for the Type 6.

Unfortunately the 8-pin connector can be attached to Mac serial cables by naive users which will destroy the port.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 am

Quick update: I managed to find some reasonably priced ones on ebay - 2 keyboards and 3 mice for ~40 euros delivered, so I no longer need them.

Thanks for everyone who helped,

Jeb

Return to “Hardware Wanted”