Track ball mounted on keyboard (PS/2)

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Y888099

Track ball mounted on keyboard (PS/2)

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 am

So, I need to save considerable space on my desktop.
Something which eases irrespective of your seating position.
A small keyboard is perfect, but I need a trackball attached.

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Re: Track ball mounted on keyboard (PS/2)

Unread postby spiroyster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 am

I have one of those...somewhere. Came from a Compaq laptop (486). The one I had would clip into the base of a cradle which connected to the side of the laptop. It wasn't compatible with any other laptops I had at the time, and only seemed to work with the original compaq. I have no idea where it is but if I find it will post back.

It wasn't great to be honest and will give you RSI in your right wrist after use. There might be better 'space saving' options like an IBM 6357 (space saver/traveller) which is essentially a laptop keyboard (thinkpad o.0) with PS/2 connections.

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 am

Not that exactly, but close: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI0476
Unicomp makes good products; basically original IBM model M keyboards.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 am

umm, interesting advice: what do you think about Cherry XS Trackball Keyboards
(for sale on Amazon && Ebay)

White/Black, with trackball? or Touchpad? … umm I have to take a decision

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:12 am

There are also trackpoint keyboards (the small red nub).

I don't use any cherry keyswitch products myself (looks like it is this http://cherryamericas.com/product/g84-4 ... ackball-2/ ). People seem to like them. Personally I just prefer the large (and loud) old IBM Model M keyboards with the full sized numpad, so that is what I use everywhere, but that certainly wouldn't help you save space. I'm sure the cherry product is decent.

I have also stopped using anything with a touchpad and switched over to full sized trackballs from CST. I find that touchpads are finicky and lack precision. But again, I don't know what would work best for you. It is just personal preference.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Cherry Greens feel roughly similar to a Model M.

I'm a mouse guy myself but I don't mind touch pads, trackpoints or trackballs all the same.
3x :O3x0: Quad CPU (Haven't booted them yet!)
:Indy:
:Indy: (Challenge S)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran

http://projectkitsune.com

I develop FoxBSD, support the BSDs and UNIX scene in general.

Recovering Apple addict (2005-2014, $15k later), don't start - learn from my misery.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm

spiroyster wrote:There might be better 'space saving' options like an IBM 6357 (space saver/traveller) which is essentially a laptop keyboard (thinkpad o.0) with PS/2 connections.

Lenovo still sells these things brand-new and they are still highly regarded. Don't know if the newest model works with the cheap USB/PS2 adapters, but you can get an active adapter if necessary.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 am

guardian452 wrote:
spiroyster wrote:There might be better 'space saving' options like an IBM 6357 (space saver/traveller) which is essentially a laptop keyboard (thinkpad o.0) with PS/2 connections.

Lenovo still sells these things brand-new and they are still highly regarded. Don't know if the newest model works with the cheap USB/PS2 adapters, but you can get an active adapter if necessary.

Proud owner of an Ultranav2, being heavy coding on it for 4+ years. Still solid. :) In hind sight though, given how little I use my keypad these days, unsure if I would get another. Have 2x spare 8845 for when that happens.

Trackpoint and Trackpad don't seem to work with my laptop (Precision M6800, Win10 Pro), fine with 8.1 Pro. o.0

Return to “Hardware Wanted”