WTB SGI Indy

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Elf
Donor
Donor

Re: WTB SGI Indy

Unread postby Elf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:Some people who used to be on there, like an old flame of mine, are good people, but there's other people that are incredibly hostile towards collectors, insult you repeatedly and make you want to reenact Angry German Kid in your living room.

That does seem odd. Who else besides collectors and hobbyists even uses MIPS SGIs anymore?

I mean I understand if you sunk hundreds of thousands into a Discreet setup you might hang on to it for a while, but it has to be long past "a while" by now, given how far Fusion, Nuke, Davinci Resolve, etc. have come and how much churn there is in the VFX industry. I can't imagine there are too many companies that bought that stuff that are even in business anymore. Not to mention all the new codecs associated with 4k digital cinema cameras, etc.

Please tell me it isn't a bunch of angry MRI operators holding on to their Octane 2s... Old supercomputer lab operators with a bent against x86? Bitter ex-SGI employees? Shareholders?
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Elf wrote:
Raion-Fox wrote:I mean I understand if you sunk hundreds of thousands into a Discreet setup you might hang on to it for a while, but it has to be long past "a while" by now, given how far Fusion, Nuke, Davinci Resolve, etc. have come and how much churn there is in the VFX industry. I can't imagine there are too many companies that bought that stuff that are even in business anymore. Not to mention all the new codecs associated with 4k digital cinema cameras, etc.

Please tell me it isn't a bunch of angry MRI operators holding on to their Octane 2s... Old supercomputer lab operators with a bent against x86? Bitter ex-SGI employees? Shareholders?

Half of the regulars on there when I was on there in 2015 were not even interested in MIPS SGI. Some of them sang praises of Itanium, and others outright were drinking the Intel Kool-aid. Others simply seemed on there for the purpose of trolling.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Wow, odd... You would think people would have better things to do with their day.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

praetor242

Unread postby praetor242 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 pm

People will troll anything. Even small niche communities like nekochan. :(
Image - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 256 MB RAM - 300GB HDD
Image - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147 GB HDD

Return to “Hardware Wanted”