BIG SGI AUCTION IN LOS ANGELES

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:09 am

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:i dont have a problem with sniping,
at the end of the day if they are willing to enter a higher value then they win, if not then i win.

Full ack, if someone bids more than me ... it may have higher value to him. Playing gambling with ebay ... well is just gambling. Sometimes you loose ... sometimes the other wins :)

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:55 am

So... 50% failure stated one way.... and 50% failure stated a different way = 100% failure, no matter how you say it ;)

Wow though... yeah, seeing an auction like that up-close would have been awesome, especially to be there afterwards to 'borrow' some of the awesome equipment to come out of it.

Did anybody who was there see anything like... Onyx2? I'd be interested how much that went for.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:25 am

Brombear wrote:
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:i dont have a problem with sniping,
at the end of the day if they are willing to enter a higher value then they win, if not then i win.

Full ack, if someone bids more than me ... it may have higher value to him.

The problem with this theory is that it doesn't take into account the dishonesty of some sellers. The "proxy bid" thing in an environment with absolutely no controls is asking to be fleeced. Did you notice U-M's recent experience with irewoulfe rescinding a bid AFTER the end of the auction due to "error in bidding ?" Where do you go and whom do you complain to ? Have you ever sucessfully got thru to ANY eBay fraud investigator ? The only way I've been successful was when the seller complained about payment - to *finally* get a venue opened (still no human being tho, just Yet Another Email Address) to mention that the seller had removed all the serial numbers from the item in question and didn't have a reasonable explanation for that act. Even then, no followup from eBay. Imo relying on the honesty of this proxy bidding system is naive.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:55 am

Brombear wrote:I do not understand why so much people have an ethical problem with it. Thats the way it works and I am sure that most of you have done similar things ... maybe not related with sgi equipment. The price for a part on ebay is determined by the seller and the buyer. If an actual item is worth the pricce for the buyer, he will buy. That worthiness does not lower only because the seller got the part nearly cheap.

Still wondering

Matthias

I don't have an ethical problem with it, really... BUT, with the initial knowledge that a piece was bought $10, would I fight for it at $400 on ebay? No...
I'm just sharing the knowledge here, that's all... If anybody wants to spend $400 perfectly knowing that the item was bought for 2% of that initialy, that is their decision, educated decision with the extra information provided here...

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:58 am

Cory5412 wrote:Did anybody who was there see anything like... Onyx2? I'd be interested how much that went for.

No Onyx2, only one Origin 2000, MINE :lol:

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:44 pm

Have to hope something like that happens here. Keep my eyes and ears open for these kind of auctions and also know a few guys who work in F1 and they have some old SGI kit that is due for retirement at some point
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

choza

Unread postby choza » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:07 pm

hey somecodemonkey, keep us updated

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”