FS: V6 with XIO carrier

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:43 am

You can still do your basic resolutions and refresh rates with a V6, but they'll be at 8 bytes/pixel. With 8bpp Maya looks awful when you turn on solids or textures. Even the texture cube and the liquid bear thingy would make the screen go crazy.

It all depends upon what you're going to use the V6 for.

NauSeuM

Unread postby NauSeuM » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:49 pm

87Porsche wrote:You can still do your basic resolutions and refresh rates with a V6, but they'll be at 8 bytes/pixel. With 8bpp Maya looks awful when you turn on solids or textures. Even the texture cube and the liquid bear thingy would make the screen go crazy.

It all depends upon what you're going to use the V6 for.

what do you mean by "screen go crazy" ?

i am using a v6 i just got yesterday on a samsung 710v lcd. the distort demo you are talking about (surely that's a dog not a bear!) is fine. i actually think it looks better than on my old MXI. same with tex_cube.

now admittely, blender (and probably those demos tho i can't personally tell on them) is clearly running in 16bit colour. so there is some (very well done) dithering in the 3d displays (particularly in the render window). this is the same as having a windows computer in 16bit only the dithering is better.

the "screen go crazy" stuff iirc is when you try to make 1280x1024_60 be in 16bpp or whatever it's supposed to be in in the better supported resolutions? under 8bpp it is stable but there is some dithering. i can't speak for maya, i don't use it. but everything i have tried so far has been fantastic on my new v6.

i mostly do 2d and full screen video. at these tasks it is flawless.
ubi dubium ibi libertas

colin

Unread postby colin » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 pm

NauSeuM wrote:now admittely, blender (and probably those demos tho i can't personally tell on them) is clearly running in 16bit colour. so there is some (very well done) dithering in the 3d displays (particularly in the render window). this is the same as having a windows computer in 16bit only the dithering is better.

the "screen go crazy" stuff iirc is when you try to make 1280x1024_60 be in 16bpp or whatever it's supposed to be in in the better supported resolutions? under 8bpp it is stable but there is some dithering. i can't speak for maya, i don't use it. but everything i have tried so far has been fantastic on my new v6.

I don't believe V6 has a mode with 16 bit color.

The problem is that V6 can only run in 8 bytes per pixel mode at 60 Hz, which doesn't provide enough space for high color depth *and* double buffering *and* depth (z) buffering. In 8 bytes per pixel mode, compromises are made. Sometimes the result is fine, other times there are problems. Maya generally has problems with this.

If in 8 bytes per pixel mode, and both double buffering and depth buffering are used, there is only room left for 16 bit pixels. At least one bit is used for the alpha channel. Two possible color depths in this case are 15 bit color (5/5/5/1 RGBA) or 12 bit color (4/4/4/4 RGBA). Both look pretty nasty though SGI does have some good dithering routines dating back to their budget boxes with 8 bit color.

If in 8 byte mode, if you can live without double buffering or without depth buffering, you can then still use full "48 bit color", which is really 36 bit (12/12/12/12 RGBA). In the PC world (and SGI MGRAS) 32 bit means 24 bit color (8/8/8/8 RGBA).

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:52 pm

Oh yeah. It is a dog isn't it. I need to get out of suburbia every once in a while.

1280x1024x59Hz at 16bpp makes vertical bars flash on the screen when spinning the texture cube around. I thought I encountered more resolutions than that which made the flickering.

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”