Tezro on eBay [UK]

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Antnee

Tezro on eBay [UK]

Unread postby Antnee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 am

Had an email from eBay today to tell me there's a Tezro on there for sale (here)

Dual R16K 700Mhz
4Gb RAM
VBOB DM5

Shouldn't imagine many have the $15k they're asking for but if so, there it is :D

mapesdhs

Re: Tezro on eBay

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 am

Antnee wrote:Had an email from eBay today to tell me there's a Tezro on there for sale (here)

Dual R16K 700Mhz
4Gb RAM
VBOB DM5

Shouldn't imagine many have the $15k they're asking for but if so, there it is :D

It has a bit more than just the DM5 included; read the description. More importantly, it has
the DM3 (normally very expensive to buy separately), dual-display card, QLA2342 cards,
RAD card, Lucid board and an FC unit stuffed full of 36GB FC drives.

Not commenting on the price, just thought I'd point out it does have some options which are
normally very costly on their own, especially the DM3.

Ian.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 am

Yeah, sorry, didn't include all the bits and bobs. Worth a look maybe if you have the cash lying around?

cybercow

Unread postby cybercow » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:26 pm

... like many of newer sgi systems these days, this one come probably from some professional video production ... and indeed still can be used in the same way, but humm ... i`m thinking; people buyed or leased these things for $50k maybe more, and they are all in the whishful thinking that can get at least 10% of the nominal value ... if we explore the tezro system is not that old ... furthermore still very useful ... this $15k is too much ? maybe not, for a hobbyst it`s, for a pro maybe some normal price to "get started" in right way ... but if i needed some equipment like that, for shure will think twice,,,,,,,, you can get 8 core pro mac for 10-15% of that price ... brand new sealed ... with support ... brand new apps and software ready for years to come ... eh ... all these origins3, onyxes3,4 with GB of ram and dozens of cpu`s, discreet stones and software seen on eBay, and sold for > $10k are on very thin ice, who will pay for them ? nasa ? some big companies ? maybe one or two that still uses some of the sgi tech ... but ... humm ... sincerly ... this hw although powerful on the paper is many many times overpriced ...

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah, doesn't really seem like eBay territory does it? :D

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:03 am

Antnee wrote:Yeah, doesn't really seem like eBay territory does it? :D

(who says eBay is only for those with small budgets? Recently a DEC unit on eBay US
went for $35K. :D)

The system was used for Flame I think, for which it is ideal. Yes, it came from a movie
company. The original cost was probably 20X the current eBay listing price.

It does amuse me the way people talk about the prices of systems like this. Why would
any hobbyist *need* a Tezro anyway? The logic seems to be, I want item X, I'm a
hobbyist, ergo item X should be cheap. Real-world doesn't work that way.

I'm not saying I would pay that much for such a system, but then I don't need one,
and like I say it does have options in it which just on their own many companies
ask small fortunes for; I've seen non-SGI dealers in the movie industry ask more
than $20K for the DM3 option alone. Pricing levels for 2nd-hand movie kit can be
be high, eg. see broadcaststore.com.

Once again, I'm back to what I've said before (see other posts) - an item is only
ever worth what someone is willing to pay. It has nothing to do with what a
hobbyist can afford. For any company that already has a similar Discreet system,
this auction looks like an ideal way to get some key useful hardware spares,
especially if they don't have hw support anymore.

Ian.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:24 am

mapesdhs wrote:an item is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay.

Agreed, and if I had the cash I would pay it, just because I want to say that I have one, but I don't, so I won't

maxsleg

Unread postby maxsleg » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:20 am

this hw although powerful on the paper is many many times overpriced

Nonsense - if the hardware is productive then the price is fair! They are still many professional users of older SGI gear who use the systems for productive work and so it has to be supported.. We have a lot of older systems (even some based on old 386 pcs + DOS with special H/W) which we need to keep running as they are productive for us. Yes it is hard to get an old 386 PC!!! I few years ago I had to source an AppleII for a company who had this controlling their main 'money making' machine.

Look at the case of O2k systems - yes, lots appear on ebay at bargin prices...funnily enough a few days after they are sold we see a flurry of activity on Nekochan of new O2k owners asking the same old questions (please please read the docs and search the forums)..and then spending the next few months buying up the bits they need to get a working system. Companies haven't this time..If a system goes down we want a working good system up in around 24-48 hours...
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 am

I think some companies use eBay as cheap advertising, also. They probably don't expect to sell expensive professional gear on eBay but the word gets around ... where else would you advertise a TezroFlame ?

Bishop2K

Unread postby Bishop2K » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:54 am

>> We have a lot of older systems (even some based on old 386 pcs + DOS with special H/W)

hahaha... The other day I had someone come to me asking where they could get Ultrix 4.

WTF?!?!? What are you going to run it on?

Turns out he actually did have some ancient oscilloscope hooked up to a DECstation and it "had a disk crash". Can you believe we tracked it down on some website, but we're now scratching our heads trying to work out how we are going to get it onto something it will read - like an RM05 :shock:

If anyone actually has a practical use for a 128P Origin 3800, I'd like to know about it...

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:25 am

Bishop2K wrote:hahaha... The other day I had someone come to me asking where they could get Ultrix 4.
Turns out he actually did have some ancient oscilloscope hooked up to a DECstation and it "had a disk crash". Can you believe we tracked it down on some website, but we're now scratching our heads trying to work out how we are going to get it onto something it will read - like an RM05 :shock:

Wow.
While I do have Ultrix in all sorts of flavors easily available, any RM05 sounds way off for a DECstation.
Are you *sure* it was an RM05?

my_disk.gif
my_disk.gif (14.19 KiB) Viewed 597 times
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:41 am

hamei writes:
> I think some companies use eBay as cheap advertising, also. ...

I would be surprised if any company didn't. It's a very sensible use of eBay.

> ... They probably don't expect to sell expensive professional gear on eBay but the word
> gets around ... where else would you advertise a TezroFlame ?

It depends on the item and the seller. If the latter is a normal dealer, then they do get sales that
way sometimes.

Ian.

Bishop2K

Re: Tezro on eBay [UK]

Unread postby Bishop2K » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm

>> Are you *sure* it was an RM05?

No I was trying to be funny - only a true connoisseur of ancient obsolete computer equipment would have taken me seriously.

My hat goes of to you Sir! ;)

If anyone actually has a practical use for a 128P Origin 3800, I'd like to know about it...

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Bishop2K wrote:>> We have a lot of older systems (even some based on old 386 pcs + DOS with special H/W)

hahaha... The other day I had someone come to me asking where they could get Ultrix 4.

WTF?!?!? What are you going to run it on?

Assuming you're talking Ultrix 4.5.

I have had really good luck with the Toshiba XM-4101 drives (AKA the Sun SL-CD). Durable, have the selectable firmware to boot SGI 4D Prof and Pers IRISes/Suns/etc.

I use one to install on my VAXen, works just fine in Sun mode.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to jimmy GXemul to build a tape file and then write it out to a TK50/70 cartridge using a TZXX drive, or something like that. The TZs are SCSI.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”