Free Altixes in Spain

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

Free Altixes in Spain

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am

vLvmcUU.jpg

(image via Reddit)

Stuff isn't mine, obviously.

Got a reddit message from Generic_Green_Squid (a viewer of my channel, and active member of many retrocomputing communities on Reddit) asking me to post these here in case anyone wants them. He has posted some pictures. Reddit user ethoreum is giving away multiple Altix 4700s (and seemingly also some Altix 350 gear?) in Spain. I don't have all the details, but if you are interested, please send a Reddit message to ethoreum using this link.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

guillem

Re: Free Altixes in Spain

Unread postby guillem » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 am

Gonna definitely check those given that I'm in Spain :)

Just need to find a nice place to put them, hehe.

Thanks @Dodoid

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm

UPDATE: Generic_Green_Squid has informed me that the Altixes have been claimed. Guillem, was that you :) ?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

guillem

Unread postby guillem » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Maybe.... :D

Just trying to see if I can find a place to put them and some way of moving them from where they are right now.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 am

Good stuff!! :)
:Octane: - 1xR12k 400Mhz, 1GB RAM, V8 GFX, 18Gb 10K & 36Gb 15K HDD, 6.5.30
:Octane: - 1xR12k 300Mhz, 384Mb RAM, SSE GFX, 18Gb 10K HDD, 6.5.30
:O2: - 300Mhz R5200, 384Mb RAM, 36Gb 15K RPM HDD, A/V Module, 4x CD-ROM, 6.5.30

roberttx

Unread postby roberttx » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:19 am

guillem wrote:Just trying to see if I can find a place to put them and some way of moving them from where they are right now.

Congratulations. :D

On moving them, if I were you I'd throw money at the problem. You're going to need a truck with a tail lift. The little ones that go on pickup trucks are typically 500 or 1000 pounds max so, depending on the weight of each rack, you might need to rent a big box truck. Or even a semi. Or, you might be able to do it with a forklift.

Or, find a local company that has the equipment and ask them, "What would it take, in cash, for y'all to move these for me?".

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 am

I've successfully moved tall racks with a horse trailer. But pushing a loaded tall rack up the ramp is not for the faint of heart, and with several racks in the trailer you'll quickly exceed the limits of most cars (and possibly the trailer).

When I had my annex constructed and all my gear had to go into temp storage I got a deal on a truck with a tailgate lift. Much more convenient.

guillem

Unread postby guillem » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:36 am

The idea is to take the blades out of each rack and then move the racks 'unloaded' which probably still means about 100Kg each rack.

Regarding the transport itself, I still need to see if i can take more than one of those racks, and if it is the case, surely I will need a proper truck (each Altix rack is about 700Kg fully loaded)

Thanks for the recommendations also, my experience on moving those amounts of equipment is limited.

roberttx

Unread postby roberttx » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:54 am

guillem wrote:The idea is to take the blades out of each rack and then move the racks 'unloaded' which probably still means about 100Kg each rack.

I could go either way on that plan. I can see why you wouldn't want to haul fully loaded racks, given the weight. OTOH, the bricks are safest when they're in the rack and documenting all of the cabling connections, positions in the rack, etc is going to be a daunting task in itself.
Last edited by roberttx on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am

Mine are only desksides, but when I transported my Onyx and O2K, I removed the skins, power supplies, and drives, but left the cables, cards, etc in place. I found that to be a reasonably good compromise, where I could move the systems but everything that came off/out was very clearly able to be reinstalled. Not sure if that is an option for larger racks, I may be being completely useless here, but I would think you could do something similar? Since those are Altix 4700s, could you maybe remove the IRUs from the rack, but leave the contents of the IRUs in them, and the cabling and power distribution in the rack? That would be a little less complexity to reassemble. My knowledge of these systems is basically limited to what I researched in my History of SiliconGraphics series, but IIRC that's basically how they go together.

Titox

Unread postby Titox » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:31 am

Wouw! Too big and heavy for my home.... Nice machines BTW, but not IRIX.
Alberto (Between the TV and the sofa)
:Fuel: :Octane2: :1600SW: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo:
http://www.f3b.es
http://unixverse.blogspot.com

SMP

Unread postby SMP » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Hello guillem,

just fyi - the racks of the 4700 are build like tanks.
Even if you take out the blades you will have at least a minimum weight of 300-350 Kilogramms !
Trust me, i do have a 4 Rack config here in Germany which i did transport with a friend
and his truck with an 1.5 ton liftgate.
Try to transport them with a truck, this is the best solution in my opinion.

Do you know if the systems have the water cooling backsides ?

If you get 5 Racks you will also need a lot of power,
my system needs 45 KW - without cooling. So yours should have between 50-60 KW.

But you can change the numalink cables so that one IRU of the four per Rack can run without the other IRUs.
In that case you are able to drive the IRU with one phase 240V 16A.
Nice playground with about 40 cpu cores and depending on memory config up to 400 GB.

Best regards,
Kai

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:45 am

Intel Itanium2 && SGI's NUMAlink interconnect && linux kernel v2.4.*

Does Kernel 2.6.3* run on Altix? Does 4.16.*? Someone here can give a feedback of real direct experience?
Pointless reminders of the human ego:
  • arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy
  • because you have nothing to hide
  • is no different than saying you don't care about free speech
  • because you have nothing to say

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 am

I think the last distribution supporting the Altix 4700 was SLES 11SP4, kernel 3.0.101-88.1 (SP4)
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3594951

But it's all irrelevant. Nobody in their right mind is going to mess with custom kernels on a rig like that, you stick with what's certified to work. A system that costs €25/hr in power and cooling is either doing something productive, or it's powered down.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 am

Dodoid wrote:Mine are only desksides

Dodoid,
Do you use them for anything in particular? Are they power hungry, noisy, FAST, Cute?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”