SOLD [de] IBM RS/6000 Model 860 Unix laptop in fully working condition

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Henry Dorsett Case

SOLD [de] IBM RS/6000 Model 860 Unix laptop in fully working condition

Unread postby Henry Dorsett Case » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 am

**Edit: 860 sold **

** Edit: 860 spoken for **

** Edit: Guys, thank you so much for your interest. I only have the weekends for dealing with this kind of stuff, so please expect some delay. I'll answer every single message as soon as possible! **

Hi guys,

I decided that it's time to let go some of the systems I collected in the last decades. Because in my opinion neckochan is one of most decent boards left in the old interwebs I thought I could ask here first if there is any interest in acquiring one my more sought after machines before putting it on fleabay.

Up for sale is a IBM RS/6000 Model 860 (Type 7249) in fully working condition.

The case has some minor scratches and scuffs but considering it's age I think it IMHO is in at least a fair condition. The keyboard is clean and not rubbed-off at all. The display has on one spot some sort of hazy thing on it. Because this is not visible when the machine is running I decided not to tinker with it.
Machine holds date and time because after I bought it I changed the CMOS battery.
CD_ROM drive is working
Trackpoint III is working but the coating has deteriorated to some point because of age.
Original PSU comes with the machine. Works like a treat. No brittle cable at all.

I installed AIX 4.1.5 (for which I own a license) incl. CDE on the machine but due to the forum rules I'm afraid that I most probably have to wipe the disk before shipping.

Pictures of this gem (including hw-inventory and with all described damages visible) can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/br43pheikdoe9y0/AAB4idHITXl7-suQ71teSN_ga?dl=0

Unless I'm not mistaken, a machine of this type and in the descibed condition is rare and probably sells for a decent amount of money. I'm not greedy and you are a bunch of gentlemen so let me know if you're interested. I'm sure we can work something out.

I'm located in rural Westphalia in Germany. Because of the age and the condition of the machine I would prefer a buyer who would be able to pick it up locally but well packaged and if requested insured shipping is no problem.

I will post some more items (e.g. a dual R14k-600 Octane with MXE) in the next few days. I have literally tons of other machines (including a Power Challenge in near mint condition, an IRIS Indigo ELAN, some Indigo 2s, some DEC/COMPAQ AlphaStation DS20E etc.) I might part with. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Henry Dorsett Case on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indy: :rx2600:

Irinikus

Re: [de] IBM RS/6000 Model 860 Unix laptop in fully working condition

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am

If you have a decent Indigo2 Impact to sell, then I'm interested.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Henry Dorsett Case

Unread postby Henry Dorsett Case » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:47 am

I'll send you a PM. Will need some time - I have to re-rig the machines in my shop because I can't find the hinv for my purple Indigo 2's.
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indy: :rx2600:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks very much, take all the time you need, there's no rush.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Very interested in 860, PM sent.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

marmotta

Unread postby marmotta » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm

I imagine weight is a problem for Power Changer shipping.... or not?

thunderbird32

Unread postby thunderbird32 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Depending on shipping costs, I'm interested in an Indigo 2 or the IRIS Indigo.
Digital Personal Workstation 500au
HP Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6)

Henry Dorsett Case

Unread postby Henry Dorsett Case » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am

marmotta wrote:I imagine weight is a problem for Power Changer shipping.... or not?

Well, the weight wouldn't be your only problem. The Power Challenge is heavy and bulky at the same time. In addition the plastic parts of this (and several other types of SGI gear) tend to losen their softener and can get really brittle (although compared to my Origin2000 the skins are still in decent shape). Long story short: Hauling this machine over long distances would be prohibitively expensive and you would have to engage a shipper specialized in moving very damageable items if you would want to have a chance to receive it in the near mint condition it is now.

When I acquired this machine I disassembled it as far as possible, wrapped all loose parts in bubble wrap and other protective material and hauled it myself. Would highly reccomend that for any potential buyer.

Henry Dorsett Case

Unread postby Henry Dorsett Case » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 am

thunderbird32 wrote:Depending on shipping costs, I'm interested in an Indigo 2 or the IRIS Indigo.

I will happily send the machines over the pond, but wouldn't it be much easier to get them locally? I'm afraid that the shipping costs will kill the deal. Just checked with DHL: Shipping of the Indigo2 would cost you at least 120 USD. IRIS Indigo maybe a little bit cheaper but not much.
Please send a PM if your're still interested.

Henry Dorsett Case

Unread postby Henry Dorsett Case » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

Irinikus wrote:If you have a decent Indigo2 Impact to sell, then I'm interested.

PM sent

thunderbird32

Unread postby thunderbird32 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Henry Dorsett Case wrote:
thunderbird32 wrote:Depending on shipping costs, I'm interested in an Indigo 2 or the IRIS Indigo.

I will happily send the machines over the pond, but wouldn't it be much easier to get them locally? I'm afraid that the shipping costs will kill the deal. Just checked with DHL: Shipping of the Indigo2 would cost you at least 120 USD. IRIS Indigo maybe a little bit cheaper but not much.
Please send a PM if your're still interested.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I always underestimate international shipping costs. :lol: Thanks for looking into it, though.
Digital Personal Workstation 500au
HP Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6)

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”