Octane video setup (not mine)

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
escimo

Octane video setup (not mine)

Unread postby escimo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 am

Browsing "the bay" for SGI Indigo and stuff of interesset, found this listing for an Octane 1 :Octane: with plenty of boxes, storage and cables. But it's from Croatia/Europe. Seems to come with a dongle. :shock:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SGI-Octane-1-Smoke-System/332500826755?hash=item4d6a97fa83:g:IYcAAOSwmwtaQ~MQ

disclaimer: it's not my auction nor in any way I'm connected with the seller

But if it would be located in Germany I would do anything to get my hands on it - just to play with it - NO! I'm out of my mind. Stop! :mrgreen:
SNI PCD-4H
SUN SPARCstation 2

GIJoe

Re: Octane video setup (not mine)

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 am

just curious what kind of drive is installed in the middle bay - is that a Jaz or Zip?

without the disk array the smoke install is probably useless - these drives should be pretty hard to come by nowadays. besides, you can run this software off a macbook nowadays - one SSD makes short work of any stone arrays. i realise this is a vintage computer forum but some type of vintage just makes zero sense to acquire and maintain when the new-gen solution makes it that much more straightforward. :)

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 am

GIJoe wrote:just curious what kind of drive is installed in the middle bay - is that a Jaz or Zip?

That's a floppy drive. They fit upside down.

GIJoe wrote:without the disk array the smoke install is probably useless -

I hear you can get around that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

floppy drive! indeed. :) interesting - whatever they may have used that for. is that perhaps for fetching data off some old camera? i recall some had builtin floppy drives.

and yes you can run a ghetto setup. a whole bunch of drives, the enclosure, proprietary disk sleds and whatever-shielded cables. not much fun to be had i think, just expenses.

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”