Dubious Tezro on ebay (certainly not mine!)

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jwhat

Re: Dubious Tezro on ebay (certainly not mine!)

Unread postby jwhat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Irinikus & Robespierre,

thanks for info...

did not know that Onyx 4 has AGP riser, that makes chassis pretty much useless for general purposes, as is.

I assume that you can replace the AGP riser with PCI one with logic for AGP to PCI conversion is on AGP riser card and you can take out AGP cards and replace with V12 (i.e. back to SGI graphics), via XIO connector in chassis.

So final question is given that you cannot have V12 in 4x1GHz chassis can you instead put in a DM3 (which is smaller than V12) into chassis instead?

I am trying to work out if there is way to get max cards into minimum no of chassis's, was more chassis == more space, more noice, more electricity...

Cheers from Oz,

jwhat
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Why are you wanting to go the rack mount route?

I suppose you can build a humongous Tezro system this way.
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image... Image AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Image................Image 486 DX4 100MHz. (My first Computer)
Image.........................Image Image JavaStation-10(Krups); Sun Fire V880z.
A snapshot of what I've got:.......................................................................:arrow:

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Irinikus,

the reason why I have not posted on nekochan for long time is because I moved all my work needs over to Mac OS X some time ago. This includes Mac Xserve with SmallTree 10Gbe & SAS RAID card and DAS storage units, in basement. I have well backed up archive of over 20 year work on this. Previously my Octane2 with Fibre Channel Array was main server but it cannot replicate performance of Xserve with 12Gbs SAS & 10Gbe.

Seeing Tezro available cheap was a bit too tempting to resist, but then I thought maybe I should go down rack path as I have the 19" rack in garage with some old computers in it (let over many years ago when I was part of small ISP). Moving rack into basement would help tidy up Xserve setup and DM2/3/5 VBOBs left over from my Octane2 and noice is not an issue, down there.

With my old SGI engine now running, I thought this might be interesting SGI revival project... Tezro or Onyx with DM3/V12 is what I am trying to get to, so exploring options.

Since I last looked at this the amount of information and testing that has been done by various Nekochaners is amazingly informative and prices are way way lower for Tezro/Onyx/Orgin machines than before (I got my first Octane back in 2003 and joined Nekochan site some time after).

Cheers,

jwhat

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Cool, it makes sense then. :D
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image.........................Image Image JavaStation-10(Krups); Sun Fire V880z.
A snapshot of what I've got:.......................................................................:arrow:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am

jwhat wrote:I assume that you can replace the AGP riser with PCI one with logic for AGP to PCI conversion is on AGP riser card and you can take out AGP cards and replace with V12 (i.e. back to SGI graphics), via XIO connector in chassis.

The XIO card connector is on the back side of the PCI riser. The AGP riser of the Onyx4 has no XIO card connector; the space is taken by the Image Sync cables.
jwhat wrote:So final question is given that you cannot have V12 in 4x1GHz chassis can you instead put in a DM3 (which is smaller than V12) into chassis instead?

I don't think a DM3 will fit, either. Maybe. My impression is that rackmount Tezro was not actually sold with 1 GHz CPUs, but those machines were officially O350.
Irinikus wrote:I suppose you can build a humongous Tezro system this way.

The rackmount Tezro's L1 software doesn't support an R-brick/NUMAlink router. But I believe it's possible to make it believe it's an Onyx350, which does.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:23 am

Hi Irinikus,

why rack ?

answer in photos:

1. have rack with in garage which is essential acting as cupboard for some old PC and boxes of Mac parts...

2.I really need to clean up garage to make space for extra car...

3. PC collection is not really used, but I very occasionally I need to use old floppy drives so it would be good to have access to these:

And in their day these old boxes where very useful... the IBM AT internals where replaced with 386 and it acted as Microsoft mail SMTP gateway, which I hacked together via the TechNet CD 8-) , Compaq was Photoshop and scanning machine and in its day had engineering that was way beyond what most PC maker were doing and IBM was used as FreeBSD Firewall (still love FreeBSD ;-) )

4. But the problem is that the rack weights a tonne.... how I have managed to transport it around over all these year from office to house to storage units and back to house again is a sign of true "Australian Bloody Mindedness" ;-) . At one point I had a fried put this huge heavy box on the roof of his little Dyhatsu (i know spelling is wrong), I think the rack weighted more than the car! So will need to pull it apart to get it into basement, a job I have procratinated on for at least 4 year... So time to bite the bullet:

5. But there is no way I can reasonably put Tezro in house if I cannot get it in basement... so that is good motivation. Rack is so heavy and big I pretty much have to dismantle the entire thing and reassemble in basement:

6. But its does give me more space and better access than I previously had and with some shifting around I should be able to fit Tezro or some other Chimera based system in here (3 VBoB in the bottom shelf, but I only need one, so will have to get rid of some of this stuff to make more room), xserve with Areca (12Gbs) & Lenovo (6Gbs) disk chassis in middle and top shelves (the good bits) and some old fibre channel stuff as I originally had fibre channel on Octane and then moved to fibre channel on Mac and then went SAS DAS via Areca.

So there you have it, after 4 years... I finally cleaned up garage and basement... is this Facebook or Nekochan site ;-)

Cheers from Oz,

jwhat

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 am

robespierre wrote:The XIO card connector is on the back side of the PCI riser. The AGP riser of the Onyx4 has no XIO card connector; the space is taken by the Image Sync cables.

Robespierre's explanation is right on the money; for those of us who are visually oriented, I dug a AGP riser out of storage and took a few photos. Hopefully they might also come in handy if somewhere down the road someone needs an image to compare:
030-1872-006_A.jpg
This is the side of the AGP Riser board that faces the card cage. The SGI part number on this particular example is 030-1872-006 Rev. A.
030-1872-006_B.jpg
This is side of the AGP Riser board that faces the system board. The three black female edge connectors mate to corresponding male edge connectors on the system board. In the 'standard' PCI-X / XIO2 versions of the board the XIO2 connector for a a VPro graphics board or DM3 would be located near the 'top' edge of the board.

Here's a photo (taken by bri3d and originally posted in this thread) of the XIO2/PCI-X riser in one of bri3d's 2x1Ghz O350s, it offers a good view of the relative location of the XIO2 edge connectors (black) and the riser board/system board interface (brown).
O350wtf.JPG

robespierre wrote:
jwhat wrote:So final question is given that you cannot have V12 in 4x1GHz chassis can you instead put in a DM3 (which is smaller than V12) into chassis instead?
I don't think a DM3 will fit, either. Maybe. My impression is that rackmount Tezro was not actually sold with 1 GHz CPUs, but those machines were officially O350.
Onyx350_DM3.jpg
The view is a little fuzzy in this 'captured-from-the-internet' photo, but you can still see the amount of space needed by the DM3. It overlaps the metal processor shroud (which appears to be a 'shorter' version for a two-processor nodeboard).
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Nekochaners,

dubious is now in Australia.

I opened it up before starting as thought it would be full of dust and a health hazard.

Surprisingly it is very clean inside and appears to have had very little real use, even if skins are a bit battered and there is bent metal near one of rear wheels.

It has V12 & DM3 and 4GB RAM. I can get HINV from command prompt but machines hangs on boot into OS with L1 display just saying: "Prom Running".

I took the disk out and zapped graphics monitor setting and reset root, as thought that maybe it was graphics resolution problem, but looks like corrupt OS as I cannot even boot into single user mode.

So looks like OS is broken, so no hinv report for now.

Here are pics:

Insides:

Nice clean V12 & DM3

And it almost boots :-(

To late to do clean IRIX install tonight, so will post full hinv once it has fresh OS on it.

Cheers from Oz,

jwhat.
Last edited by jwhat on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 am

You can get an hinv through the command monitor.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 am

Very nice system by the way! :D
Last edited by Irinikus on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am

Well what do you know...

Rebooted it one more time before shutting down.. and it has now come up.

Will post hinv over on hinv area.

Cheers,

jwhat.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 am

That's good to here!

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”