fs: x11 terminal HP Envirex P

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Y888099

fs: x11 terminal HP Envirex P

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 am

I am definitively moving to Tektronix xp400s (and I am still looking for NCDs, NC900s).

HP X-Terminals are a line of X terminals from Hewlett Packard introduced in the early- to mid-1990s.
For sale a vintage X11R4 terminal, called "Envizex", made in 1995.

Features:
  • cpu: i960 @ 33Mhz (it's the fastest available on Envizex)
  • ram: 48MB (builtin + 16+16+8, the first two sims need to be equal)
  • rom: none (sorry, It doesn't have any font-rom, it loads fonts from tftp/NFS)
  • vram: 2MB
  • lan: 10Mbps BASET RJ45 (it also comes with an AUI port on the back)
  • kb/mouse: common PS/2 (F12 is a special key, but Envizex works on common keyboards, HIL keyboards are also supported)
  • Option: floppy 3.5",1.44MB

Excellent working conditions and good shape. I also provide all the documentation, configuration-scripts, and startup for linux (sorry, I don't have HPUXv10.20/v11, I can't test/adapt scrips).

Price: 100 euro + postage (keep in mind, it's heavy)

Located: Denmark

A note: the machine is perfectly working, I simply don't like HP Xterminals since they are too X Display Manager Control Protocol (XDMCP) oriented, where you can typically just power on your hardwired terminal and be greeted with a login prompt. This purpose is easy to be accomplished on hp terminals, especially if you use NFS insteaf of tftpboot. HP-net-stations can boot using either Network File System or Trivial FTP, with NFS being the preferred method it's simpler, but I don't like it and I don't like XDMCP! I prefer the Tektronix/NCD approach, which can be configured to be tftp-only and it's more wm+xterm oriented: so you have more scripting-options to customize your desktop. Of course you can also X login to one or several remote sessions using XDMCP, but it's optional, whereas by default the HP xterm enables you to log in to a host computer through a session manager, making customization harder.

During the final phase of startup, the bootup screen disappears and the X station loads $bin/modules.ld, which tells what can be optionally loaded (but not executed), and then starts the X session by executing the application that was specified by the user on $config/autoexec.cfg

• XDM login
  • VUE
  • CDE Lite (its panel appears similar to the one you can see on HPUX)
  • mwm (simple windows manager)
  • twm (simple windows manager)

If you see one of first three login screens in the above list, you just need to enter your login account and password.

On Tektronix you have nor CDE Lite neither VUE but you have more customization choices, and isn't tricky to override the setup-key and the reboot-key with a couple of ignore-keys, you just need to fill a few lines in the configure script to say to ignore some keys. Everything can be customized in a simple script file ($config/xp.cfg). Like a piece of cake.

On Envirex ... well ... you have customization choices for CDE Lite (and three files hpxt.dtwmlite, hpxt.dtfpfile, hpxt.dtdtfile to do that), but you can't customize the session loader and it's not so easy, and it's very hard to override the setup-key. There aren't other options when it comes to avoiding people you don’t want to interact with your xterminal: to avoid someone could press the F12 key, which opens the door to the setup menu, you need to modify the whole keymap file, removing F12 from the keyscan, as well as the ctrl+alt+canc keys event, which reboots the X11 server opening the door back to setup menu (LOL). Of course you can secure Envirex with new keymap, but it's an annoying task.

- - - -

In short: if you love XDMCP, and find yourself comfortable on HP's CDE, and if you don't bother if the terminal needs to stay in a public area, than HP X-terminals are for you :)
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

tingo
Donor
Donor

Re: fs: x11 terminal HP Envirex P

Unread postby tingo » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Do you know how heavy?
The page a Terminals-wiki have a quite a bit of information on Envizex: http://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/HP_Envizex
but the weight isn't there.
Torfinn

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:06 pm

tingo wrote:Do you know how heavy?

I can measure how heavy it goes. I have two of them in my office, one is mine, the second one is my friend's.
Both P-serie.

p.s.
keep in mind, there is this limitation about X11-apps.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:30 am

Postage within Europe is 45 euro by UPS.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:26 am

up :D

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:34 pm

110 euro including postage (UPS) within Europe zone1-3.

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”