fs: Amiga accelerator, 68000 socket to 68030 + FPU

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Y888099

fs: Amiga accelerator, 68000 socket to 68030 + FPU

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

So, I have an Amiga accelerator, plugs into 68000 socket.
The 68000 is replaced onto the board by 68030 + FPU (and ram)

Pictures will follow.

it looks like this one

Barely used, on a development board.

Price 120 euro + postage
located in France
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

uridium

Re: fs: Amiga accelerator, 68000 socket to 68030 + FPU

Unread postby uridium » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 pm

I used to run one of these in the 90's. It was a pretty cool accel.

Currently I have a ACA500 with ACA1233 fed up it and am eagerly awaiting the Vampire 500 V2+ .. These were very usable. Did have some cache issues though. The nice part was you could disable the 030 for demos, games, security dongles that had poor tolerances for timings being out of whack.

If you have the IDE controller that sat underneath the card (option), it's worth listing. They generally work quite well with CF adapters and sub 1gb CF cards. I have a friend still operating the remains of my old setup. :)
Al Boyanich
adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:40 am

uridium wrote:awaiting the Vampire 500 V2+

I don't like the Vampire because it might be damn expensive due to all the speculation made around Amiga. Oh, even the author pissed off about that. A lot! I read his blog, and agree with him. He had offered some cards for cheap and some fellows bought them for cheap just to resell them on ebay up to 10X what they paid. They don't care about *Amiga*, it's just business. Nothing wrong, they can do whatever they want, but I don't like it.

uridium wrote:If you have the IDE controller

Sorry, there is no IDE controller. But on MTec you can have the choice of selecting which processor you want to use: { 68000, 68030 }. Both installed on the card, and an interesting FPU is also installed.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

uridium

Unread postby uridium » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:04 am

Fairy enough :)

Woh! That's a fair bit of FUD there. Here.. perhaps I can help a little:

The 900$ one on fleabay was a prototype released to a beta tester and the Vamp guys publicly commented on that being not allowed out and they didn't like the idea of it being used to fetch a profit. Fair enough.

The enhanced V2+ version was around 300$ including shipping here to Ozstraliya. That's super reasonable in my books. Geeze, I can remember buying a 68040 1200 accel 800$ back in the late 90's and earlier the WarpEngine for the A3000UX I have was over 1700$. Lets pretend inflation doesn't exist for this argument. These guys I honestly think are doing for the love of it all. I suspect none of them have delusions of retiring to a warm pacific island somewhere and brought little umbrella drinks by scantily clad birds all day. Actually.. come to think of it, I'd like to be doing that now. Sadly.. I don't have the money and even if they did 10,000 units, they're still not going to get there. A grand pity! :D

The 040 and 030 and 020 accel's I've bought in the past weren't open-source designs and init firmware. Amiga wasn't founded on the principal of open-source. Open-Source is a nice idea though especially for retro enthusiest-driven systems in this day and age. But! These blokes invented, designed, built, bled, sweated, funded (and consumed many beers, rakija, slivovitsa and more no doubt) to get this thing to market. I think that entitles them to say how they want it to evolve and under which licenses. Who knows.. they may change ? :) Might be nice.

The Vamp may one day become open-source. This really doesn't bother me terribly much. It'd be interesting as I enjoy fiddling with FPGA's and it'd be fun. I'm simply in awe of the work done on the accel, especially the way they clean-room re-implimented the picasso96 modes from scratch and the SD disk controller. The damned thing is just about as close to functional engineering 'art' as you can get in my books :) </opinion>

I've spoken to a couple of the guys. They're pretty decent people. I suspect they don't want to open-source stuff because they're possibly worried about legal ramifications (? maybe?) and if you look at a wrap up (I'll try find the link) on firmware, the development has been pretty fast and furious. Ask for the reasons ..who knows .. but be nice :)

Cool on the mtech and embedded system :) Hope that worked out well!
Al Boyanich
adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”