[Exchange] o2 white camera -> o2 blue camera

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Variant1

[Exchange] o2 white camera -> o2 blue camera

Unread postby Variant1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 am

I want to exchange white camera for o2 to blue camera for o2. Or buy a blue camera.

jmjsgi

Re: [Exchange] o2 white camera -> o2 blue camera

Unread postby jmjsgi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello,
What is price for the blue camera ?
Can send me picture of this caméra at my adress mail : jmjsgi@free.fr.

Regards.

Variant1 wrote:I want to exchange white camera for o2 to blue camera for o2. Or buy a blue camera.
:O2+: :1600SW: SGI O2+ R12000 400 768mo and 36gb
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: O2 R5000 180 320 2x18gb
:Indy: Indy R5000 180mhz
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2maximum impact R10000 195
:O3x0: ONIX4 4x800 8gb V12 150gb
:Tezro: TEZRO 4x1ghz

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 pm

You want to buy a blue camera or sell a blue camera? If buy, then I cannot help you because I want to buy myself (I have white). If sell, then tell me your price.
It should looks like this (I called it "blue", however its color not exact blue):

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 pm

The color scheme appears to be "Charcoal", like the 1600SW, and later CRTs such as the GDM-5021PT. SGi also made keyboards and mice with this color scheme.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 am

Maybe. I really don't know how their colours properly called because I can't find info about their colour schemes — it's nice to have Wiki page about it. I have 1600SW, so want to have a consistent look of my setup.
You wrote about keyb and mouse with the same colour, can you show please a photo? I have seen only black.

UPD: I found a picture (left keyboard): http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/comp ... G.jpg.html
I don't really know: charcoal and black are different models?

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 am

Variant1 wrote:UPD: I found a picture (left keyboard): http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/comp ... G.jpg.html
I don't really know: charcoal and black are different models?

Left = "Charcoal" **
Right = "Granite"
Bottom = "Beige"

** specifically PS/2 as opposed to USB I think, old 'bug' logo (more linear) Charcoal keyboards are USB.

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

up!

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 am

Still looking for that camera. But now have a question: does anybody see this camera in real life (I mean, charcoal color)? I look at eBay, Google Image search and so on, and found this camera only in Nekochan's Wiki page.

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Variant1 wrote:Still looking for that camera. But now have a question: does anybody see this camera in real life (I mean, charcoal color)? I look at eBay, Google Image search and so on, and found this camera only in Nekochan's Wiki page.

Yes they definately existed! they used to be on ebay all the time. The 'grey' one I assume is an IndyCam, while the 'blue' one is an O2 cam. I have an IndyCam, but never had an O2 cam. I doubt its that much better than the IndyCam, and personally I would rather plug a more 'professional' camera in and stream that video since this is one thing O2's were better at doing than a lot of other stuff around at the time o.0.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Early O2 cameras had light gray/granite plastics, while later ones (like the one pictured earlier in this thread) had charcoal plastics. Despite the color differences, the O2 cams had the same basic design.

Indycams had very different form factors from O2 cameras and had significantly lower capabilities.

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm

josehill wrote:Early O2 cameras had light gray/granite plastics, while later ones (like the one pictured earlier in this thread) had charcoal plastics. Despite the color differences, the O2 cams had the same basic design.

Exactly! But I do not understand, why then charcoal cameras are so rare on sale?

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 am

My missunderstanding. I too (now) did not know there were two o2 cams. The later one certainly does look a more violent, sexual 'shade of grey' :lol:

I have probably seen many 'granite' o2 cams for sale, but may not have seen a charcol one then o.0. A lot would have been happening in the webcam world around 98/99, so if the insides were the same, I could see the charcol one being outclassed by other offerings at the time. Maybe why there aren't many around?

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:16 am

Variant1 wrote:But I do not understand, why then charcoal cameras are so rare on sale?

My guess is that it is simply that many more granite cameras were sold than charcoal cameras. While I am not sure when the charcoal cameras started to be sold, I'd guess it was 1998 at the earliest (when the blue and charcoal 1600SW display came out). When the O2s first came out, my sense was that most people bought the full kit, including the granite cameras, but later purchasers bought cameras less frequently. The cameras were extremely cool at the time, but, as you might imagine, SGI charged "SGI prices" for them, so experienced users tended to stop buying them. Also, I'm not sure when O2 sales started to slow down, but I'd guess it was around 2000, which also would support the idea of fewer cameras being sold. Note as well that SGI did not include SGI-branded cameras with the O2 replacement, the Fuel, but rather directed users to third party cameras.

spiroyster wrote:A lot would have been happening in the webcam world around 98/99, so if the insides were the same, I could see the charcol one being outclassed by other offerings at the time. Maybe why there aren't many around?

Perhaps, but that wouldn't be my guess. The O2 cameras still were pretty high-end for the time, especially when combined with SGI's video conferencing software, and visitors to my office were impressed by the camera for quite a few years after the purchase, well into the 2000s. Long before Skype came around, I would have occasional O2 video conversations with colleagues on the other side of the continent, and that routinely amazed onlookers.

Variant1

Unread postby Variant1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 am

Yes, guys, I think the same. Charcoal was released too late so had low demand.
If anybody will see this camera somewhere, please let me know, thanks!

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”