SALE: SGI Tezro 4x1Ghz / Lucid / VBOB / DmediaPro / Betacam Recorder / Wacom / Monitor + More! (EUROPE)

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
computron

Re: SALE: SGI Tezro 4x1Ghz / Lucid / VBOB / DmediaPro / Betacam Recorder / Wacom / Monitor + More! (EUROPE)

Unread postby computron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 am

who want to spend 2600€ in an obscolete computer without software ?
not old enought to be a classic collector like a crimson or a power serie

believe me, it be still for sale in several month....

Cheers

Eve

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: SALE: SGI Tezro 4x1Ghz / Lucid / VBOB / DmediaPro / Betacam Recorder / Wacom / Monitor + More! (EUROPE)

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:16 am

computron wrote:who want to spend 2600€ in an obscolete computer without software ?

Cheers

Eve

I cannot see where it says no software? Forum rules state we cannot mention software, so maybe it left off intentionally.

[Edit] Also, I notice that cars from the 1980's are fetching very high prices nowadays, so from a collectors point of view, is this not similar situation?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:57 am

computron wrote:who want to spend 2600€ in an obscolete computer without software ?

I am with you.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Regarding the item description and what it comes with, the initial post clearly stated:

complete, working, maxed out setup.

And regarding pessimistic/negative comments about SGI, Tezro or Irix, they do not belong to this thread.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Cheers

Eve

The Tezro is a pretty bad ass computer though. It's the most badass SGI desktop system you can get. I would personally take a Tezro over a Power, or a Crimson any day, because you can actually use it for productive activity. Some commercial outfits still use them I'm sure.

There is software, you just have to spend the time getting it - some of it is quite good . The IRIX software situation is far better than most other vintage operating systems.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Krokodil wrote:you can actually use it for productive activity

Vague. Give examples.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Y888099 wrote:

Vague. Give examples.

Many commercial uses like production of movies, television broadcasting, CAD, 3D modeling in Maya, military applications. Could even be used as a personal workstation, for although some of the software is kinda old, most of it is still works reasonably well.

Judging by the high cost of the machines and the parts. There is still a commercial demand for them. Really 2600 Euros for all that is being offered here,(which is not just the machine alone ) is pretty good. As a rule, Tezros are usually rather rare and expensive on their own anyways.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Y888099 wrote:

Vague. Give examples.

I think you are miss-interpreting the words "productive activity" ivelegacy. Productive Active is relative to the person doing it and possibly the person[s] receiving it.

I could write a letter in notepad, I could resize a picture in paint and I could produce a HD video from an old VHS tape using Smoke/Flame et al.
Last edited by uunix on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm

uunix wrote:I cannot see where it says no software? Forum rules state we cannot mention software, so maybe it left off intentionally.

Well, the system may or may not come with a disk with interesting software installed, but genuine Discreet licenses were node locked with a dongle.

When the original owner of a Discreet setup upgrades to a new version / platform they trade in the dongle. About your only chance to get a "legit" Discreet license is if the original owner entirely stopped using Discreet / went out of business / ... and the dongle was more or less forgotten. That's a working system maybe, but the license won't be your name. I wonder if they'd transfer a license still.

Believe me, all but a few production facilities moved to Linux on HP or IBM x64 hardware almost 10 years ago.

That said, a complete Discreet setup is a fascinating piece of kit, even if it's 10 or 15 years old. And it can be used for production work, just like it could 10 years ago. The world was not born yesterday, you know.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Krokodil wrote:Many commercial uses like production of movies, television broadcasting, CAD, 3D modeling in Maya, military applications. Could even be used as a personal workstation, for although some of the software is kinda old, most of it is still works reasonably well.

I don't have experiences about production of movies, television broadcasting, and military applications.
But CATIA on IRIX does not make sense, and Rhinoceros requires Windows.
Two examples of professional softwares used for the production.

jan-jaap wrote:Believe me, all but a few production facilities moved to Linux on HP or IBM x64 hardware almost 10 years ago.

Indeed!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Y888099 wrote:But CATIA on IRIX does not make sense...

And nor does that sentence?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Discussions about merits and uses of this particular Tezro system on offer do not belong here. Please create a separate thread for that.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Pontus

Unread postby Pontus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 am

What happens on Jan 11?

I think local pickup and short timeframe will kill this deal.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

computron

Unread postby computron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:48 am

the 11th ?

it go to thrash...... or be on ebay at a incredible prices

Cheers

Eve

devv

Unread postby devv » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 am

The system may remain available for sale after Wednesday, but it will be relocated to another location (also in Paris).
I have updated the original post/description to remove mentions of the date constraint.

And I would appreciate if pessimistic, speculative or uninformed/unfounded statements would be kept out of this thread.

Thanks.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”