A sad moment but has to be done.....

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
toxygen

Re: A sad moment but has to be done.....

Unread postby toxygen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:31 pm

@Shiunbird
I have an octane I don't really use, so we could discuss that over a beer if you are somewhere near Prague.

@Hombre71 @GL1zdA
What machines are you interested in? I'm asking because I want to find out how much space and weight would I need to haul. I've got ML300 so I imagine taking some of the lot is possible, but I doubt that I could fit it all inside.

@msunix
I'm located in Prague.
Last edited by toxygen on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 pm

vishnu wrote:Off topic but I don't have a monstrous collection for fear of ending up in the exact same boat. Life circumstances-wise, even if I end up having to live on a plank under the Interstate I know I'll be able to keep my Tezro and my Octane2 with me. So count your blessings people, there but for the grace of God go we... :cry:

I can imagine a number of us taking our SGIs with us whatever happens :).
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

msunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby msunix » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 am

@toxygen:
Prague would be perfect! I'm always open for a trip to this great historic city (with good and cheap beer...)! Have not been there for 2-3 years, and only ~3h by car - time to go! Would definitely take the Onyx if it would be possible!

Cheers,
Michael
:Onyx2: :O200: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo: :1600SW:

tesla

Unread postby tesla » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 am

Ok, so a new deal is struck with forum member diegel. He'll drive from Hamburg and pick it up in person. Should this deal for any reason not happen I'll post back again. If all goes well maybe he's willing to spread some of the stuff to other members.

/Tesla
If I can't fix it I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
:Octane:x3 :O2: <-> :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP:x2 :Indigo2: (No PSU) :Indigo: :Indy:x4 :320:x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's

tesla

Unread postby tesla » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:08 am

vishnu wrote:Off topic but I don't have a monstrous collection for fear of ending up in the exact same boat. Life circumstances-wise, even if I end up having to live on a plank under the Interstate I know I'll be able to keep my Tezro and my Octane2 with me. So count your blessings people, there but for the grace of God go we... :cry:

Hehe, well I could've kept one deskside and an Octane2. I'm not THAT out of of space here. But the main resaon is that I don't have the time to fiddle fith these machines anymore. Work and other interests are taking up my time so better to let go of everything to somebody who can actually use them.
BTW, this is the second time I let go of a complete SGI collection. First time was in 2001 albeit that collection wasn't as extensive as this.
If I ever feel the need to hack SGI in the future I'm sure there will be one or two computers that I can get my hands on.

/Tesla
Last edited by tesla on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Octane:x3 :O2: <-> :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP:x2 :Indigo2: (No PSU) :Indigo: :Indy:x4 :320:x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:32 am

Must admit, I fully understand downsizing, but not necessarily getting rid of absolutely everything. I too went through a dry SGI spell from about 2006 to 2012, but didn't find it a problem to pop a couple of machines in the loft along with a box of accessories.

In fact, it was moving house and shifting my O2 four years back that re-ignited my desire to fire the old girl up again, then all the happy memories came back and I branched out and bought my two most coveted machines.

Anyway, just wondering if popping an Octane in a box for the future and parting with the rest might be a better idea, just in case you get the itch again in a few years' time :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:31 am

Hopefully diegel can save the day and avert an international incident.

Same for me. A small handful of systems to keep things manageable. In case I have to move. It would be easy to bring it all with me.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Trippynet wrote:Must admit, I fully understand downsizing, but not necessarily getting rid of absolutely everything. I too went through a dry SGI spell from about 2006 to 2012, but didn't find it a problem to pop a couple of machines in the loft along with a box of accessories.

In fact, it was moving house and shifting my O2 four years back that re-ignited my desire to fire the old girl up again, then all the happy memories came back and I branched out and bought my two most coveted machines.

Anyway, just wondering if popping an Octane in a box for the future and parting with the rest might be a better idea, just in case you get the itch again in a few years' time :)

I would also suggest that he keep one of his more capable systems, be it an Origin, Octane, or Fuel. SGIs are becoming scarcer constantly, and while that might level off once basically all of them are owned by enthusiasts who will keep them running, if he decides to come back to SGI in a few years he may either have difficulty locating one, or have to negotiate a ridiculously high price with someone who has taken care of it for years and expects full value plus pay for his time. I was glad to buy a complete collection for a low price, especially as it meant getting all the little extras like parts and adapters, but if I had had to buy systems individually for full price I would probably have a base Indy or maybe an R4000 Indigo2. I could never have afforded an Octane, much less a half decent one like mine at ebay/commercial seller prices.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 pm

toxygen wrote:@Shiunbird
I have an octane I don't really use, so we could discuss that over a beer if you are somewhere near Prague.

I'm in Prague. Will PM. I must have missed the original thread about your Octane.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I have a friend in Stockholm. I could try to arrange with him to have everything stored if you end up really having to toss it. Of course, it would be a temporary deal until we can sort the fate of everything.

How much time do we have?

I'm not sure how his situation is now (he has got a new place expecting a family expansion that hasn't happened yet), but I can surely give it a try.

Knezzen
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Knezzen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Im in Sweden and I'm interested! PMing you :)
:Octane: Dual 300mhz R12k - 256mb RAM - 146GB 15k RPM HD - V6 Graphics

Pontus

Unread postby Pontus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm

I /think/ you bought that Onyx Deskside on tradera. I remember drooling over it :) Since then I've gotten a Power Series and a Crimson. They would look nice next to eachother :)
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Pontus wrote:I /think/ you bought that Onyx Deskside on tradera. I remember drooling over it :) Since then I've gotten a Power Series and a Crimson. They would look nice next to eachother :)

I can confirm this :D
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

tesla

Unread postby tesla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Pontus wrote:I /think/ you bought that Onyx Deskside on tradera. I remember drooling over it :) Since then I've gotten a Power Series and a Crimson. They would look nice next to eachother :)

No, I actually got that Onyx DS from deBug. So it's from far away in the west, namely USA. But I always wanted a Crimson, don't know why but I think it looks cool. I however like the purple colour of both the Onyx and Onyx2 too.

/Tesla

tesla

Unread postby tesla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm

jan-jaap wrote:

I can confirm this :D

Love the picture, what a nice lineup!

/Tesla

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”