Ebay yet again..

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Ebay yet again..

Unread postby uunix » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Maybe we should have sticky for ebay related stuff..

Anyway, check this out in the UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SGI-320-Visual-Workstation-Windows-NT-Full-working-system-/162234533772?hash=item25c5ee878c:g:YzIAAOSw8gVX-~UT

Looks nice. I don't want it though. (Save you navigating to it, it's a 320 + 1600sw)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Trippynet
Donor
Donor
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, UK

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Not too bad actually. Apparently has 2 x 600MHz PIIIs and 1GB of RAM. Also, bidding starts quite sensibly. £75 is certainly a good price if you can get it, especially with an OS and disks included. Looks in good condition too!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

surrealdeal
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby surrealdeal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 am

i'mma let you finish but the VW 750 is my favorite non-mips sgi system, even if it is a generic itanium design everyone hates, and only runs RHEL IA-64.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 am

I'm itching. =)))))))))))
ImageImage

surrealdeal
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby surrealdeal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:07 am

Shiunbird wrote:I'm itching. =)))))))))))


just keep chanting "it's just another x86 box" and apply calamine lotion

kramlq
Donor
Donor
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:10 pm
Location: IRL

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby kramlq » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:08 am

surrealdeal wrote:
Shiunbird wrote:I'm itching. =)))))))))))


just keep chanting "it's just another x86 box" and apply calamine lotion

I have one, and as x86 goes its a really unique system, so I'll probably never sell it. But it really is love-hate. Its the most frustrating X86 and possibly even the most frustrating system you will ever own. Putting together a maxed out configuration (2 x 1GHz, 1Gb, FPA, DVD, Zip100, 2 x SCSI HDD), I went through 4 motherboards, about 7 ram kits, 3 1GHz CPUs, 2 VRMs, several PSUs etc. trying to find a combination of components that would play nicely together.

And then when you have it working, you still have several strange hardware bugs - plug in an exotic USB or firewire device and it can reset the system. the graphics driver or hardware has occasional consistency issues, the mouse sometimes stutters while certain USB devices are plugged in, it doesn't like some USB-PS2 adapters, network throughput is not what it should be. Its also strange to have an X86 box but only have about three OS choices - really old windows (NT4, Win2k) or really old Linux. The various SGI patches/updates are essential, and trying to keep a newly installed system stable long enough to install the patches via a network share was an interesting challenge. Having said all that, if you work within its limitations - Windows 2000, fully patched, USB keyboard and mouse, no fancy USB or firewire peripherals, it does the job fine.

If you want to own it because its a very unique X86 design (in terms of platform architecture and outer case), and also an SGI, by all means get it. But if you just want an everyday x86 machine, get a Dell or whatever.

User avatar
pierocks
Donor
Donor
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: Longbranch, WA
Contact:

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby pierocks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:53 am

surrealdeal wrote:i'mma let you finish but the VW 750 is my favorite non-mips sgi system, even if it is a generic itanium design everyone hates, and only runs RHEL IA-64.


I had one of these for a while. Though now that I think of it, it might have been one of the other re-badged versions. Or it may have even been un-branded. It likely came from NCSA before it landed at the recycler, and they often got their hands on pre-production stuff. Regardless, they were all identical, save for the logo on the case. Christ almighty that thing was heavy. I got debian to run on it, IIRC. And then I realized that I didn't give two shits about itanium.

The best part of that machine was all the huge chunks of foam for airflow inside labeled as "FUNCTIONALLY REQUIRED".
:O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby uunix » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:19 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
dexter1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2743
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:57 am
Location: Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:16 am


That, and an MLA+1600SW in stylish Orange will make the system twice as fast! Possibly more when you rub it in wax...

I'm waiting for a Dutchie to pick up this auction, because Orange, man...
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:41 am

What is interesting is that... well, it comes with the monitor and I could use when I finally score my first IRIX machine, and it looks in great condition.

But I will pass, because I would need to arrange with one of my friends in the UK to keep it until I'm back from Brazil, and then I should come to the UK in November and pick it up.
ImageImage

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby uunix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:56 am

Shiunbird wrote:What is interesting is that... well, it comes with the monitor and I could use when I finally score my first IRIX machine, and it looks in great condition.

But I will pass, because I would need to arrange with one of my friends in the UK to keep it until I'm back from Brazil, and then I should come to the UK in November and pick it up.


You can only use that monitor in certain conditions, MLA from a DVi or 1600sw FPA(o2 / 320/540 etc), there are other options, I have a [fore....something] card for a Mac and there is another MLA type box out there also.

Unless the Orange version is different of course. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
spiroyster
Donor
Donor
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 am
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby spiroyster » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:25 am


I wonder if that paint job was done by a fan, or this hardware was actually used by the Arrows F1 team?

Incidentally didn't Arrows crash out of F1 (no pun intended) about 2002 :)

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:20 am

I see.
I'm really torn. I love non-standard hardware. =)
But logistically would be a nightmare. I only buy computers in good condition, and this one seems to be looking ok.

uunix wrote:
Shiunbird wrote:What is interesting is that... well, it comes with the monitor and I could use when I finally score my first IRIX machine, and it looks in great condition.

But I will pass, because I would need to arrange with one of my friends in the UK to keep it until I'm back from Brazil, and then I should come to the UK in November and pick it up.


You can only use that monitor in certain conditions, MLA from a DVi or 1600sw FPA(o2 / 320/540 etc), there are other options, I have a [fore....something] card for a Mac and there is another MLA type box out there also.

Unless the Orange version is different of course. :D
ImageImage

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby uunix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:51 am

Shiunbird wrote:I see.
I'm really torn. I love non-standard hardware. =)
But logistically would be a nightmare. I only buy computers in good condition, and this one seems to be looking ok.


If you've never owned one before, you need to buy it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

kramlq
Donor
Donor
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:10 pm
Location: IRL

Re: Ebay yet again..

Unread postby kramlq » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 am

spiroyster wrote:

I wonder if that paint job was done by a fan, or this hardware was actually used by the Arrows F1 team?

Incidentally didn't Arrows crash out of F1 (no pun intended) about 2002 :)

Its almost certainly a real ex-Arrows machine and not a fan's artistic tribute. There was an ex-Arrows SGI VW320 available on sgidepot many years ago, still with all the cad designs, data, simulators etc. on the HDD, so they were definitely users of SGI X86 machines for car development work.


Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest