how things should be shipped properly

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
pauliedweasel

Re: how things should be shipped properly

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 pm

About 12 years ago I found a really nice looking Indy on Ebay, the pictures of it looked great so I placed a bid and won the unit. About a week after the auction I received the shipping box with the Indy in it and upon picking the box up and tilting it slightly when I set it down on my desk I got a 'clunk' out of the box followed by the sound of small bits cascading inside the box. Upon opening it, there was what was left of my once nice Indy that was now a battered pile of parts! The problem was that while the seller had used a box of adequate size to allow for plenty of cushioning packing material to be placed in the box (at least three inches on all sides) he failed to do so! There was just the box and the Indy and three inches of soft cushiony air on all sides to protect the unit!!! When I sent him a flaming message about the damage and his incompetence he just sent a short reply saying he was sorry and that was it, never got a refund and my complaints to Ebay fell on deaf ears. I did monitor the guys Ebay ID and about a week later he disappeared from the site. No frigging padding... I have had people do inadequate padding jobs, but no padding whatsoever was a new one for me. Fortunately this was the only time I have experienced this phenomenon. Oy Veh!

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:26 pm

That happened to me once with an O2 I bought, though I did get a partial refund (the case was obliterated, but the unit itself still worked).

That's why my packaging may be regarded by some as being so OTT, but it has to be in order to ensure safe delivery. Nothing is ever foolproof though, one time a system I sent to Italy was wrecked because (I was told) a forklift in a warehouse shoved one of its fork prongs right through the box.

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 am

Yeah, you're always limited. My company ships a lot of stuff around Europe. Most arrives fine, but we've had a 24" monitor who's box was clearly pierced by something long and sharp, and a pallet that somehow ended up being partially crushed from one side (amazingly only one docking station, keyboard and PC were damaged). It's a pity that some couriers can't be more careful. Saying that, the lack of packaging and protection for delicate machines is sometimes pretty criminal really. Ian, I can understand why you sometimes ship the seller packaging for them to use!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:59 am

mapesdhs wrote:Nothing is ever foolproof though, one time a system I sent to Italy was wrecked because (I was told) a forklift in a warehouse shoved one of its fork prongs right through the box.

Look, I found the Italian-proof O2 :D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicon-Graph ... 2578322761
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 pm

mapesdhs wrote:Nothing is ever foolproof though, one time a system I sent to Italy was wrecked because (I was told) a forklift in a warehouse shoved one of its fork prongs right through the box.

When I got my IntelliStation, it was new in the box. It has suffered the same fork through box problem. My heart froze. The courier asked me to open the box before they departed and I could refuse delivery.

Luckily, IBM's original packaging keeps the computer floating 25cm from each side of the box, so the prongs went through and didn't hit absolutely anything.
ImageImage

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 am

Trippynet wrote:... Ian, I can understand why you sometimes ship the seller packaging for them to use!

I always do it for O2s if I can, often for other systems aswell. Done this six times recently for various systems, most recently a Fuel that arrived last Friday.

Ian.

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 pm

I wanted to make a special mention to Dexter1 here - if there were a nuclear holocaust tomorrow only two things would survive: cockroaches and anything Dexter1 has sent you in the post!

Jeb

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:40 am

Three. A guy in Italy said that if WW3 kicks off, could I please nip over and wrap his house. :D

Hmm, I suppose i should wrap myself in such circumstances...

Nuke-proof wrapping available! Form an orderly queue. Maybe I should start wrapping Guam... :}

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am

Had a exactly the same situation happen with the first SGI 540 I bought. The Ebay seller had used a massive Compaq server box/pallet to ship the unit but when it arrived at the freight dock were I worked there was a fork hole in the box. Fortunately, this box also centered the unit in the middle of the container and the fork missed it by four inches.
Shiunbird wrote:

When I got my IntelliStation, it was new in the box. It has suffered the same fork through box problem. My heart froze. The courier asked me to open the box before they departed and I could refuse delivery.

Luckily, IBM's original packaging keeps the computer floating 25cm from each side of the box, so the prongs went through and didn't hit absolutely anything.

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 am

Close call!

Sometimes though the world is just weird. I once received in O2 posted inside a cubic box that wasn't even as big as the O2, the lid flaps bulged upwards and there was no padding of any kind. The unit arrived completely intact, not a scratch on it. In honour of this ridiculously unlikely event, the box became my main tool box, has been now for over a decade. :D

Ian.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 am

mapesdhs wrote:Three. A guy in Italy said that if WW3 kicks off, could I please nip over and wrap his house. :D

Hmm, I suppose i should wrap myself in such circumstances...

Nuke-proof wrapping available! Form an orderly queue. Maybe I should start wrapping Guam... :}

Ian.

Hehe - yes, I stand corrected. 3 it is.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:21 pm

Just received another O2 that was needlessly damaged during shipping:

20171031_185510.jpg

This happened despite the fact that I asked the eBay seller ("error-of-ruto") to use a minimum 22" cube box and ensure at least 6" of packing material around all sides. He reassured me he would pack it "to his best ability," then put it side-down in a VCR box that was barely 12" deep and only had an inch or two of random styrofoam inserts padding it above and below.

Remember, kids: O2s need generous amounts of padding. If your seller doesn't explicitly agree to pack it according to strict specifications, don't expect it to survive shipping.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

In... 2015 I think it was, out of the two dozen plus O2s I bought that year, the only ones that arrived intact were those for which I sent the seller my own packaging. If the seller used their own packaging, it was wrecked. I've sent my own packaging for people to use at least a dozen times this year, makes all the difference. Not always SGI stuff, recently I won a 27" Dell 1440p monitor (item 282695149405), sent my own packaging (huuuuge box, oddly enough a box for a giant Dell blade server), worked perfectly.

The worst this year was a job lot of nine O2s and some Indys I bought. Despite promises the O2s would be sent in separate boxes, the whole lot arrived in one giant box with almost no padding; only one of the O2s survived, and most of the Indys had snapped lid catches, etc.

Ian.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm

It really is sad when for an extra $20 in packing materials an O2 will make it just fine. Ebay is party to blame as they charge a fee based on shipping costs so some sellers just go cheap.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 am

They charge a fee based on shipping?? That sucks.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”